Apple Can't Fix My G5, Offering Me $750 towards new computer. Thinking of Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rambo66, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Rambo66 macrumors newbie

I have a Dual Core 2.0 G5 that has been having problems with it's logic board. Long story short, Apple agreed to replace the logic board for free but while doing so also needed to replace the graphic/video card. After doing both there was still a problem so The Apple Store called last night and offered to give me $750 in credit towards a new computer. I have been wanting a laptop so my situation is this. I have an 002R running 7 (which I will upgrade to 9) and I'm thinking it would be a Pro due to it having firewire and I'm thinking the small 13" is cool. It's like 2.4Gz or something so it's already fast than what I have now. Will this be sufficient to record on? I very rarely record more than 1 or 2 channels at a time BUT that may be bound to change soon as I have a new project that I am going to want to record playing together live. This will be only machine and as my recording is only for my personal projects it will be my recording machine too. I don't see myself doing much expanding, upgrading to Pro Tools 9 is about the extent of it. My real hesitation on the 2.4 13" MacBook Pro is there being only one Firewire bus. Will I be able to record 8+ tracks at a time smoothly on this thing and am I able to connect both an external Audio HD as well as an interface at the same time? What other suggestions and/or advice, tips or tricks do you suggest?

Thanks

2. ZebOfMac macrumors regular

ZebOfMac

Ok so, while fixing your logic board they broke more parts? What the history on the machine (repair wise) and what is the warranty status. If not under warranty, did you pay to have the services provided?

3. Rambo66 thread starter macrumors newbie

This is very long but maybe it will help.

About a year or so ago the problem started, when I tried to start I would get a black screen and then the fans would go into turbo mode. I took it to The Apple Store and they quickly diagnosed it as the logic board. Because the computer was what I perceived to be not very old and gently used I was pissed so I took the computer with me. I did all kinds of research and found what you mentioned, these machines had a known problem of logic boards failing. People on various message boards suggested continually calling Apple, complaining and asking to speak with a supervisor. All of which I did, to no avail.

Then I heard a close friend had cancer and I decided to cut my losses and resolve myself that I had tried as hard as I could but getting Apple to repair it for free was a moot point. Half an hour after letting it go I received an e-mail survey from Apple regarding my most recent call to them. They wanted to know if I was satisfied with my experience. Needless to say I wrote a very long reply basically stating I felt the computer needing a nearly $600 repair when only being 3-4 years old was outrageous and that I bought Apple because I thought I was getting a quality product and was dealing with a company that cared as compared to just buying some random PC. I wrote that they had small time thinking when it came to their customers and instead of viewing me as a $2,500 customer (whatever the G5 and Cinema monitor cost me) they should see me as a $500,000 client because I had to decide whether my family was going to be an Apple family or a PC family and that I was directly responsible for at least another $5,000 in potential sales in next 6 months alone. In my immediate family (My sister was thinking of buying a Macbook, as was my Mother-in-law, my daughter and my wife was thinking of an iPhone etc....) alone. I explained that I was the type of person who when I was hot on something, went out of my way to let people know about it, that I was the type of person my friends, family and colleagues looked to when researching things and my opinion was highly valued in not only my immediate circle but also with friends of friends etc...

The next day I received a telephone call from someone at Apple who said they noticed I called and spoken with a number of their supervisors and was still unsatisfied so she offered to have the logic board replaced for free using and 'exemption code'. She asked where I wanted to have it fixed and she called ahead and set-up the appointment. I dropped the computer off that very night at 9:00PM and by 7:00AM the following morning, before the store was even open, a tech called saying my computer was fixed. He said all he needed to do was re-seat the video card. I picked the computer up and it worked fine. For a while. Whenever I would get the 'turbo fans' I would open it up and re-seat everything (I had no idea which one was the video card so I did them all). That seemed to work for a while. Until it wouldn't and I took it in again to The Apple Store. They kept the computer a few days and finally determined it was indeed the logic board. $571 or something. I took the computer home with me and pondered what to do. I figured I would resign myself to getting a laptop and trying to sell the G5 for a couple of bucks. But then I thought, 'Hey, they offered to fix it for free once already and they never ended up paying for the logic board, perhaps if I ask them they will extend the offer again.' So I went to The Apple Store, asked for the manager and asked, he told me to bring the computer in and he would look at the case history but he was pretty sure there was something they could do. That brings us up to now.

They have had the computer for two weeks and can't figure out what is wrong even after replacing the logic board and video card. They want to offer me the amount of money they are already into my computer for. They agreed to fix the computer for free.

4. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

If they have made two attempts to fix it and only offer you $750 for the computer, I would have them try a third time. I have had problems with a couple of computers and they have replaced both with new ones. I'd hold out for a replacement or a larger credit. Good luck to you.

5. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

6. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

This computer is 3-4 years old, and you've talked them out of one free repair already?

I say take the $750.

7. tigress666, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011

tigress666 macrumors 68040

Honestly, that's getting greedy. That computer is pretty old and it was nice enough for them to try to repair it for free. I mean how much do you expect he'd even get for that computer today in the market if it was working properly? In fact just perusing the web a little bit it seems prices for his computer seem more to be around 400 dollars so he's coming off pretty good getting Apple to offer 750. He sure wouldn't be getting close to the price of today's version of that computer. Shoot, it can't even run Snow Leopard which has been out for a while now.

I say take the 750 towards a new computer. Though, sorry, can't help you on if the 13" MBP will do what you need.

8. TSE macrumors 68030

A Mac Mini for $750 would crush that PowerMac G5. Take the money.

9. farmermac macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't get greedy. Take the $750 and get something nice!!

10. JustCreepin' macrumors newbie

Word. G4/G5 were dead in the water when Apple went Intel. Take the $$ and run!

11. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

750 is a great deal. They didn't have to do anything at all- they didn't have to fix the computer at all, nor offer you a credit. The computer was long out of warranty.

Take what is a great offer to you and get something new.

12. iMaccore2 macrumors regular

For the same price as the 13" MBP you could get the base i3 iMac. It is more powerful and will suit your needs better. 2.4 core 2 duo in the MBP vs 3.06 core i3 in the iMac, discrete graphics, bigger hdd. If worst comes to worst and you need to take it somewhere with you, its not too big to lug around. I've carried my 20" around before so I assume 21.5" wouldn't be much worse. So for the recording work you say you will be doing, I think the more powerful iMac is the way to go. It will only cost you a few hundred bucks with your $750 credit. The iMac also only comes with one firewire bus.

13. whyzdom macrumors regular

14. menonitarocker macrumors member

lol , yeah do it ! follow every step !

15. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

16. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

17. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

Ask for a replacement at this point credit toasted purchase and replacement is a augment or two away

18. electronique macrumors 6502

OMG. Even a working G5 in new condition would fetch less than $750.. Take it!

19. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

^^^ Lolz! Typed on an iPhone?

OP: Take the money... and run, don't walk. Unless I missed it, you didn't mention portability, so I think the iMac is better suited for your needs.

Enjoy your new box!

20. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

I'm siding with the take the money and run - that's a hefty discount. Here's what I'd ask:

1) Can I use the credit to buy a refurb? If not, use the educational price.
    2)Can I also keep my old G5? If they do, you could sell the G5 for parts; even if it's to a used equipment buy back like Best Buy offers at least you'd get some extra cash. Some might say to eBay it but even with disclosing the problems selling it there may be more trouble than it's worth.

At any rate, a new intel mac will be better in the long run than your G5.

21. chrfr macrumors 603

Absolutely take the offer. That G5 in perfect working order is not nearly worth $750.

22. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Even if the next repair fixes the issue, it will still only last a short time before failing again. Could be the HD, could be something else.

In a business environment, working lifespan for laptops is about 3 years, for desktops 5 years. Your G5 is already nearly at the end of its high-powered working life (it can still last many more years in a low-use environment or for stuff like email, browsing, Office tasks etc).

Use the $750 to get yourself onto the Intel platform and sort out your computing needs for the next 3-5 years. It's a wonderful opportunity. You can still sell the broken G5 on ebay for spare parts - for maybe $100-200

23. dblissmn macrumors regular

I know you mention you want a laptop, but I would also consider the 27 inch iMac i7 quad core which is a bit more up-to-date and more expandable, and use your Cinema Display with the new computer in a dual display configuration, which the iMac fully supports. Make sure with Apple that you get the appropriate adapter for the display. Maybe a good CS rep might even throw the adapter in with the $750 under the circumstances? But still, I think $750 is basically fair. This isn't quite in the same league as the allegedly high-end liquid-cooled G5 machines that leaked coolant all over the logic boards (those were the ones that Apple was inclined to automatically replace with a MacPro) —*more like one of those failures that can happen with old computers rather than a design that was begging for trouble.

If you need the portability wait for the next refresh for MacBook Pro if you can, due within the next six weeks or so. If you can't wait the current MBPs are pretty good so long as FireWire 800 is fast enough for you on external hard drives and so long as you're OK with SDHC for the memory card slot (the new ones will have SDXC). The 27 inch iMac i7 already has the SDXC slot, and a second internal hard drive bay for SSD drives, and it can be upgraded with eSATA for running really fast external hard drives.

24. gameface macrumors 6502