Apple Care - 1st year warranty ran out 4 weeks ago - am I scre*ed?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nubben, May 14, 2008.

1. Nubben macrumors regular

Nubben

Hi,

I bought my MBP in April last year and want to buy Apple Care in case I need to have it repaired. Am I scre*ed when it comes to buying Apple Care now? I had no idea that one has to buy it within the first year.

Has anyone managed to buy Apple Care a month after the expiration of the 1-year warranty?

Thanks!

Nubben

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Apple are generally very strict when it comes to timing with Applecare. It's worth a phone call, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

3. Nubben thread starter macrumors regular

Nubben

Thanks for your replies. I will call Apple Care and see what can be done.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

To the OP I would not worry too much about Applecare running out. If your computer lasted this long without problems I doubt you will need it for some time to come. Remember companies make insanely high profits off of extended warranties. I never buy them because when looking at the long term if every purchase over $300 I bought an extended warranty the total costs of those warranties over my lifetime would most likely exceed the monetary value of repairs received.

If you are truly worried or have had multiple services you could sell your current MBP and get a new one for maybe a little more than Applecare would cost.

5. Nubben thread starter macrumors regular

Nubben

Many thanks velocityg4 - appreciate your answer (and support).

Will have a think about it.

6. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Apple woudn't budge on my mother-in-laws Mini that was 2 days past the year mark. I highly doubt you will get them to budge on a month over the deadline.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Your only chance is to plead to them that you're an Apple switcher and you didn't realize this. They may give you a chance if you're nice and pleasant to talk to, and if the person on the phone is nice and understanding.

8. Gatorman macrumors regular

Not so sure about that one, at least in my case. After my Applecare expired, my logic board decided to go on the fritz with my Macbook Pro. It was going to cost me $350 to get it repaired with Apple (and even more at other places); however, I did manage to find out (on here, actually) that the credit card company that I purchased my MBP with doubled Apples warranty, and they would foot the bill. I'm going to renew with them when that warranty runs out and it's around $200 for 5 years of coverage, rather than $250-$300 for one year of coverage with Apple.

So you still are under a warranty, if you bought it with a credit card (like Visa or Mastercard)...though you might want to consider making sure.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Have to say I agree. But give it a shot, the worst that can happen is they say no.

10. Nubben thread starter macrumors regular

Nubben