Apple Care Plus

jsf721

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Li, NY
Can you get this on a device that you purchsae on CL since I owuld not be the original buyier?

Thanks,

Jeff

BSoares

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
USA
Apple says they want to see proof of purchase to allow you to buy AC+ but I did it twice and they never asked to see it. So should be possible.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Apple says they want to see proof of purchase to allow you to buy AC+ but I did it twice and they never asked to see it. So should be possible.
This. They say they want proof of purchase, but I also have never had to provide it. Just bring the phone in and they will most likely add it within 30 days.

lookn4wifi

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
I added AC+ at the GB today. I had an Otterbox Commuter on the phone. They shined a light in the charging and earphone ports, checked the serial number and rang me up. No need to remove case.

BSoares

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2012
USA
I added AC+ at the GB today. I had an Otterbox Commuter on the phone. They shined a light in the charging and earphone ports, checked the serial number and rang me up. No need to remove case.
Me too, had a case on both iP5 and they only used a light to look at the bottom, never checked anything else. Went into Settings/General/About to get SN and I was done shortly after that.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
This is sometimes granted in exceptional circumstances but is by no means the norm or always the case.
It's happend to me, and I live 1.2 miles from the Apple Store in Pasadena, based on these forums, it happens frequently, i've seen numerous folks do this without any hassle....I think it is definitely a YMMV situation

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
It's happend to me, and I live 1.2 miles from the Apple Store in Pasadena, based on these forums, it happens frequently, i've seen numerous folks do this without any hassle....I think it is definitely a YMMV situation
trust me, it is not frequent. Maybe 1 out of every 100 people who have applecare+ get it that way...if that. That is probably a huge over statement on my part.

What was your exact situation? Was is a pre-order or an item still being shipped to you. I know they will do it in that case 100% of the time b.c you do not physically have the phone yet and they just add it to the online order.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
trust me, it is not frequent. Maybe 1 out of every 100 people who have applecare+ get it that way...if that. That is probably a huge over statement on my part.

What was your exact situation? Was is a pre-order or an item still being shipped to you. I know they will do it in that case 100% of the time b.c you do not physically have the phone yet and they just add it to the online order.
Yeah I gave the YMMV(your milage may vary) because I knew not everyone get this perk!

My situation was I ordered in the preorder, got it on Sept 21 release day, then I called Sunday morning, and AppleCare was added and paid for in full over the phone, and confirmed. I didn't have to take the phone in, when they asked my address, the lady knew I am within 2 miles of the pasadena apple store, but they didnt care...

Hope I asnwered your questions!

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Yeah I gave the YMMV(your milage may vary) because I knew not everyone get this perk!

My situation was I ordered in the preorder, got it on Sept 21 release day, then I called Sunday morning, and AppleCare was added and paid for in full over the phone, and confirmed. I didn't have to take the phone in, when they asked my address, the lady knew I am within 2 miles of the pasadena apple store, but they didnt care...

Hope I asnwered your questions!
pretty good. I'm guessing they were just taking your word that nothing happened in one day. I ordered mine after it had shipped, but before I received it. The details came in the mail last week (they still mail you a little booklet)

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
Burlingame Apple Store requires a Genius Bar appointment as a hard and fast rule to get AppleCare+

There were no available appointments, so I am forced to leave without AppleCare+ and risk damaging the phone over the weekend until the next nearest Genius Bar appointment at Hillsdale Apple Store on Sunday.

Walk into Hillsdale Apple Store and inform them I'm about 30 minutes early for an iPhone appointment to purchase AppleCare+ for two iPhone 5 received from AT&T at the beginning of the week. The Greeter immediately says we can help you and I did not need the Genius Bar appointment. 15 minutes later both phones have AppleCare+ Unfortunately, AT&T does not register the iPhone 5 so it takes a little longer than an iPhone 5 purchased directly from Apple.