Apple Care+ Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by drb1992, Sep 21, 2012.

1. drb1992 macrumors 6502

drb1992

I googled and searched for this and couldn't find anything that really helped me. Like many of you, I pre ordered my iPhone 5 from a Carrier (mine is Verizon) online. I don't even know if it was an option, but I forgot to get Apple Care+ for my iP5. I now want to purchase it and I am wandering how I would go about doing that, other than walking into an Apple Store. The nearest Apple Store is over an hour away, so going to an Apple Store really isn't an option for me. Is there some way I can add Apple Care+ to my phone either online, over the phone, or at a Verizon store?

2. asdad123 macrumors regular

Try calling apple. They should be able to add it for you.

3. kendu2412 macrumors regular

Call Apple customer service .

They will add for you

Required : can add only first 30 days , hand on Serial number , enough @ 200 on your credit card ( they will charge 200 at first time, and when complete transaction, they will return you $ 101 immediately to your account )

4. 3rd Rock macrumors 6502

5. christyn macrumors 6502a

The response I got when I called to add it today was that they are only adding it over the phone for people who are at least 50 miles from an apple store...

6. 3rd Rock macrumors 6502

I wonder if they would even know how many miles you live from the Store ? Unless they do a google map check at time of purchase :D

7. drb1992 thread starter macrumors 6502

drb1992

That's BS if that is true, but Ill try any way. When you want to replace your phone with Apple Care+, do you have to go to an apple store or can you ship it to them?

8. 3rd Rock macrumors 6502

Cannot ship to them. In person.

9. drb1992 thread starter macrumors 6502

drb1992

****! :mad: Then there is no reason for me to get Apple Care+ any way. I'm not going to waste a ton of money on gas just to go to an Apple Store. I really want my iPhone 5 to be naked, but I'm kind of scared that me or someone else will drop it. I might take a look at bumpers

10. christyn macrumors 6502a

Maybe look at squaretrade instead? essentially the same thing, but you can mail it in

11. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

I just called Apple to add it and the guy asked for my zip code and then said unfortunately he can't do it if I don't live 50 miles or more from an Apple store. He said he thinks it is really inconvenient and hopes they change it. But if you live within 50 miles you gotta go to the Apple store.

12. Dstopsie macrumors 6502a

Well I live very close to an Apple store when I added my apple care plus today to my iPhone 5 they never ever mentioned anything about that

All you have to do is give them your serial number off the phone and then a credit card and it's added to your phone there should be no problem with that and they were more than happy to do it and I've added AppleCare to he last two iPhones plus iPad with no issues whatsoever

13. christyn macrumors 6502a

You may have just gotten a nice rep. I've seen about 10 posts tonight with the 50 mile thing, I myself got told the same thing.

Interesting since I had no issue doing it over the phone last year.

14. phinsup macrumors 6502

phinsup

Did it over the phone on two phones today, just call apple and say "Purchase Apple Care"

15. Frasern1 macrumors 6502a

The Rep I talked to said that sometimes the system lets them and sometimes it doesn't...whatever the Apple store is fairly close to me I will just get it done later.

16. oneprouddaddy macrumors member

oneprouddaddy

I've never bought them but can't you just pick one up at the local Walmart.

17. christyn macrumors 6502a

yep, I'm just going to go in tomorrow. I have 2 both within 10 miles so not a big deal.

18. trixnrice macrumors member

^misinformation here. lets clear this up.
    YES you can ship it it in to apple care (their mail-in service still applies) or you can go into an apple store. just so people know. thats all.

dont need to take my word, take apple's (albeit sometimes that doesn't work out either lol):

http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/applecareplus.pdf