Apple Care: replaced my MBP, then got a 'congrats on MBP' email, can I get new Acare?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by buyusfear, Jun 22, 2010.

1. buyusfear macrumors 6502

So I took in my penryn MBP to get fixed, after two weeks of them not getting anywhere (replacing all the usual, I got a shiny new MBP unibody (Yay!). Quite happy.

I also had this happen last year with my iMac BUY APPLE CARE:apple:; however, this time I received a "Welcome to your Macbook pro" email, hyperlinking me to the typical places, as well as offering to expend my 90 free applecare to 3 years. You know, the email you get upon purchasing a new mac. Didn't get that when I got the new iMac.

So, should I buy Apple care and play dumb, or can I actually buy apple care for this new machine, or is it left with the (year or so I still have on the former machine)?

Thanks.

Did I mention I have had both my mac replaced after 2 years of use with 2 shiny new macs? Yes, I am very pleased with Apple's customer service, not to mention their OS and designs.

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Yes you can! It is exactly like going to buy a new mbp.

3. apple.gr macrumors regular

And you can be refunded for the one year left from your former MBP or iMac

4. buyusfear thread starter macrumors 6502

Seriously?

I don't get it? why was this not the case with my iMac, and why wouldn't it say anywhere that I can get a refund?
    It sounds too good to be true.

:confused:

5. dashcs macrumors regular

Refund

You get a proactive refund on whats left of your Applecare of your old computer.
    Its based how many days are left and the cost of the previous repaired during your old computer.

So for some instances, you could get 50$ or really nothing .

6. buyusfear thread starter macrumors 6502

So do I go back to the apple store, ask for a refund, and then buy the apple care for this machine?

Does it outline any of this on apples site?

thnx

7. MikhailT macrumors 601

Call Applecare and they'll probably just do it over the phone.

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

No, this is generally done through calling into AppleCare. What you will need is the serial number for the old MacBook Pro. From there, the CSR should be able to see that you had your MacBook Pro replaced and get into contact with the appropriate people to issue a refund if applicable.

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Call and see if the will help you with transferring AppleCare to the replacement, they can transfer the remaining warranty and have it end on the same exact day. Basically just change the serial number on Apple care from the old machine to the replacement.

Some people have mentioned this before the replacement and had it all done when they picked up the new machine, some have had luck after, and some no luck at all.

10. buyusfear thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, ok well I never would have thought that I could just keep extending the warranty, seeing as how if you fall one single day past the 1st year, they wont let you purchase the service, and now I am essentially doing that.

Can I then also do this with the iMac that they replaced for me? which is still(barely) under the original apple care (however I do recall them sending me new apple care paper work, as a transfer of title type thing)

...I buy apple care tomorrow, 2 years and 35o some-odd days later my machine is replaced yet again and I buy applecare again, and so forth?

11. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

You're not really "extending" the AppleCare. Consider your replacement a brand new machine and as with a brand new machine, it comes with the standard 1 year hardware support and 90 day telephone support.

As for the iMac, if you still have AppleCare that hasn't expired yet then you should be able to get a refund based on how much is left.

12. Kahalu'u Bob macrumors 6502a

Kahalu'u Bob

From the AppleCare Terms:

"The replacement product or parts will be functionally equivalent to the replaced products or parts and will assume the remaining coverage under the Plan."

Terms and Conditions, Section 1(a). At least as I read that, it's not a new machine with a brand new warranty.

13. buyusfear thread starter macrumors 6502

Exactly my initial thoughts.

So Was the previous advice based on experience or assumption?
    I don't mean to offend, sincere question.

14. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I saw a thread similar to this one where the OP said that he bought new AppleCare for his machine and was very happy about it. I don't think that he was lying.

15. NJuul macrumors 6502

Well, maybe this differ from country to country, but in Denmark (I have asked them on the phone), a replacement equals a new mac, and comes with new warranty.
    Just give apple care a call and ask, it can't hurt :)

If you are not entitled to it, there's no reason to play dumb as they probably would find out if you were ever to need it, and then just deny you repair under warranty.

16. Eithanius macrumors 65816

Not when AppleCare decides to refund OP the remaining of the AppleCare. In this case, the OP gets a new machine, but has no words about AppleCare refund, OP should contact AppleCare and verify.

17. caravanpikey macrumors newbie

I own a MacBook Pro, and I love it, but it seams to me like the people posting this stuff, work for Apple. That is all

18. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Experience. I've handled this with many customers. What you want to do is call in and make the changes as soon as possible rather than later just to avoid any confusion.

19. buyusfear thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you

I called Apple, they refunded me my former apple care, and I am now left with the option (within first year) to purchase apple care for this machine.

At first they were going to transfer, and then I asked If they could refund, and he said, "oh yeah, makes more sense, your past apple care runs out before the first year anyways"

Very cool.