Apple Care

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by frostbyte32, Feb 23, 2012.

1. frostbyte32 macrumors member

When I bought my MacBook I had the option of adding Apple Care at any time within the first year. Is the policy the same with IPhones? Does it matter if you buy from a retailer other than Apple?

2. firemedicmark macrumors 6502

It's one year for all apple products except for the iPhone. I believe you can only purchase AC for the iP4S.

no idea if purchased outside of the apple store

3. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

I would buy AppleCare from Apple themselves instead of a third party.

There is always a risk you may purchase fake applecare warranty.

4. nissan.gtp macrumors 6502

check the apple website, I think there is a 30 day window, and you have to take the phone in to have a genius make sure it's not broke already.

I did mine last week, appointment took like 3 minutes.

5. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

Yup. You have 30 days from the day of purchase. For my sister, I made the appointment with the Genius Bar at the Apple Store about two weeks after she bought the phone.

For myself, I got AppleCare at Sprint at the time of purchase. It showed up under my serial number on the Apple website the same day.

6. frostbyte32 thread starter macrumors member

7. nissan.gtp macrumors 6502

Depends on your personal risk tolerance. Without AC, I'd be paranoid about my phone, and would probably drop it. With AC, I'm relaxed and safe LOL.

One unfortunate drop and you break the glass or otherwise F it up. If it happens once in 2 years, a new phone runs you $99 + $50. A lot less than buying a new one from verizon (or att...)

8. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

You can buy it from an Authorized Apple Dealer. ie Best Buy, Amazon.com, etc

http://solutionprofessionals.apple.com/catalog/

9. andyx3x macrumors 65816

So much info given in this thread has been wrong.

Here's the real deal:

Within the first thirty days, your only option is Applecare Plus. You can only get this within the first 30 days of purchase. If you don't get it at the time you purchase your phone, you have to go directly to an Apple Store and have a genius look at your phone to make sure that it hasn't already been damaged. If not, they will give you Applecare Plus.

After the 30 days up to a year, you can still purchase regular Applecare for an additional year. That is what my sister did after her 30 day window was over.

10. frostbyte32 thread starter macrumors member

What is the difference between ac+ and ac? I could probably google it, but figure you guys would give the no bs answer

11. andyx3x macrumors 65816

Applecare Plus is $99 and gives you 2 replacements during the 2 years if you need them for $49 plus tax each time.

Ex: you drop the phone and break the glass. You get another phone for $49 plus tax.

Regular Applecare is $69 and it covers things like a broken home button, mute switch, etc. If Apple can't fix it, they will give you a replacement phone.

I know with Applecare Plus you will also get access to telephone support for the 2 years which can helpful if you run into any kind of tough software issue.

I would highly recommend getting Applecare Plus if you can afford it. It just gives you a little more piece of mind and you don't worry so much about dropping and damaging your phone as much.

12. frostbyte32, Feb 23, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012

frostbyte32 thread starter macrumors member

With regular AppleCare they won't replace it if you drop it? Looks like ac+ for me...I dropped my past 2 droids....don't want a repeat. I figure though I am going to love the phone enough not to be careless like I was with my pos droid...it has taken a beating since I started hating it.now just to convince the wife it is needed.

13. andyx3x macrumors 65816

Yep, you'll definitely want Applecare Plus then.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Was about to post that too.
    Way too many guesses and false info posted at the beginning of this thread.
    The user above is correct.
    And you can purchase regural Applecare from any seller, like best buy, ebay etc..
    Applecare + is different and comes with different rules and coverages than regural Applecare.

15. MrFrump macrumors newbie

Nice breakdown of Applecare Plus. I'll add though that you don't necessarily have to take it to the apple store to get applecare+. My wife and I just bought Iphone 4's from Verizon. Our closest apple store is 3 hours away, so we called apple, explained the situation, and were able to add applecare plus over the phone. It probably helped that we had just bought our phones two days before we called, so if you want to go this route I would call right after you buy your phone.