Apple Care

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Slimzee, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Slimzee macrumors member

Should I get this, its £61 in the UK, this will be my first Iphone(5).

What are the gotacha's in the T&C's for Iphone Apple care?
    Does it cover accidental damange?
    Does it cover cosmetic damage? scratched screen/back?
    Would it cover poor battery performance after 18 months?
    For a non working phone do you have to pay for parts? labour? both?

I take care of my phones I have a Blackberry Torch at the moment and its nearing 2 years and not a single scratch on it, but I didnt pay £600 for it :)

I'm concerned with the Iphone going wrong at some stage and leaving me to foot the bill.

My Iphone 5 is still on order for a mid October delivery so I still have time to add this if I need it.

2. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

Apple care in the uk just extends the warranty by another year. This covers things like the home button failing, battery suddenly not holding charge and stuff like that.

It doesn't cover damage, cosmetic issues or the like. So if you drop it, you still have to pay for a new screen.

Your better off just adding it to your home insurance policy. This usually costs nothing.

You can also buy apple care at any point during the 1st year. So you may as wait until the end of the year to see if you need it. You can also buy it cheaper from places like O2 (strange I know).

In the USA they have AppleCare+ which covers accidental damage and must be purchased within the first 30 days. We can't buy that in the uk.

3. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Apple's 1 year guarantee with your iphone is strong too.

If your phone fails out of the warranty you can have the option to visit your most local Apple store for an out of warranty service.

Take a look here:

http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/service/faq/

If you select your country, you'll see the replacement pricing.

I have not purchased Apple care either as it does not really cover outcomes as advised in the earlier reply to mine. Do check your home insurance if you have one, and either add it which would increase your premium and check out the excess fee.

4. Slimzee thread starter macrumors member

Ok, Ill run with it for now and see what happens.

My home insurance probably has an excess of £250, so prob not worth using. Saving it for a whopping big claim in the future ;)

5. moosquared macrumors regular

moosquared

I believe applecare only extend the warranty for software problems.
    For accidental damage, you have to get applecare plus. You get 2 accidental damage and pay $50 for each time you damage it.

6. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

7. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

8. Slimzee thread starter macrumors member