'Apple certified' unlocked iPhones for $695 in Hong Kong

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Victor ch, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

Hey, just saw this over at 9to5 Mac, searched here and haven't seen any threads about it. I though I'd share it.

It reads:

I've also heard there are iPhones like this in Italy too but Im unaware of the situation...

Any comments people? It would be interesting if one could order it and have it shipped outside Hong Kong, hmmm...

Links:

9to5 Mac
    Apple Store Hong Kong

2. someguy7014 macrumors member

i believe they have been selling unlocked iPhones in Hong Kong for a while now.

They also do so in Australia. I don't think this news is really new.

3. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I wonder what happens to visual voicemail in these types of countries, do they just not get it?

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Not directly from the Apple Store they don't - the carriers are the ones selling the phone in Australia, not Apple. If they want to sell it outright they can (most don't and the carriers that do sell it outright often turn people away saying they don't if the stock levels are low).

This is the first instance of Apple selling the phone directly from it's website where you have the ability to just plug in a SIM card from anybody and away you go.

5. someguy7014 macrumors member

Your right about it being the first time being sold online.

You are wrong about the carriers turning away customers when the stock is low, the outright iPhone stock is different to the plan stock as it comes with a pre-paid pack wrapped up with the iPhone box.

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

That's what I said, when stock is low they turn them away.

7. someguy7014 macrumors member

Your saying that even when they have prepaid stock if they dont have much they just dont sell it?