Apple Change of Policy in Regard to Product Replacement

Discussion in 'iMac' started by joegomolski, Dec 16, 2013.

1. joegomolski macrumors 6502

joegomolski

I have been an Apple user since the Apple IIe. And have purchased nearly all of Apple’s Products.
    In February I purchased an iMac from Apple. At the same time I purchased 2 Thunderbolt Displays from Amazon.

Within a week one of the Thunderbolt Displays went bad and Amazon replaced it.

The replacement monitor started showing issues in April of this year. I was unable to call Apple for a replacement until December this year. Calling Apple was delayed do to medical procedures I was undergoing. Treatment for a 4TH stage cancer.

When I went to an Apple Store 12/14/2013 I was told Apple’s replacement policy only applies to products bought on Apple’s website. Any products purchased from any Apple Authorized Reseller
    will not be replaced. This despite the fact that the display was within Apple’s Warranty. I also have an Apple Care policy, and Apple said the Apple Care policy, will not allow a product replacement, if not purchased on Apple’s website. So even though the monitor is still under Apple.s warranty. And I purchased an Apple Care on Apple’s website. They would still not allow a replaced.

Of course they would repair my monitor. I told them a repair was unacceptable, on a monitor that had already replaced by Amazon. I’ve had experience with repaired products. There is most likely to be another problem after the first repair.

Am I off base to complain about this unannounced replacement policy change by Apple?

Comments?

2. Bear macrumors G3

Yes you are being unreasonable, it's not a new within the 14 day return period product. Apple's policy is to replace a product after a number of failed repair attempts.

Also, a repaired product won't always have an issue after the first issue. And as you found out, sometimes even new products have issues. You should've let them repair your display so it would be fixed.

3. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

In Europe this wouldn't be a problem as we have a different set of regulations.

4. Bear macrumors G3

This is not about the regulations. It's about wanting a product that is several months old replaced before Apple has had a chance to repair it.

Apple is quite willing to repair it which is what matters.

5. joegomolski thread starter macrumors 6502

joegomolski

Perhaps I did not highlight the reason for my post. Apple will never replace an Apple product unless the product was purchased from Apple's website. Apple's replacement policy states that Apple will never replace an Apple product purchased from a Apple Certified Seller.

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

7. Bear macrumors G3

Of course Apple won't replace a product they didn't sell within the standard return period. It has to go back to where you boght it.

After that it does follow normal AppleCare rules. However your display as it has not been repaired by Apple multiple times does not qualify for a replacement under AppleCare. If you had bought the display from Apple and went back after their 14 day return period especially as it's months after you bought it, they would attempt repairs first.

To be clear, AppleCare for Macs and Displays are repair coverage, not automatic replacement.

8. joegomolski thread starter macrumors 6502

joegomolski

dejo,

I asked a number of people at Apple, and no one would comments as to when
    their policy changed.

How do I know their policy changed? Because Apple replaced a number of products for me, purchased from Apple Authorized Resellers.

9. IA64 macrumors 6502

This is my premium reseller policy :

In order to perform an exchange or a refund, the item returned has to be unopened and in its original box.

If your product is deemed defective upon purchase, you may return the product along with its original packaging and original receipt within 7 days from the date of purchase for a full refund or exchange. The exchange or refund will only apply upon the inspection of the product and the consent of the store management.

Defective opened software, memory, and other media can be exchanged for the sam& item, but cannot be returned for a refund.

Custom-configured products, including personalized iPods, cannot be returned or exchanged unless they have a factory defect.

All refunds/exchanges will be made based on original mode of payment.

All purchased products will only be exchanged or refunded at the country of purchase.