Apple charges 14 dollars for 2-3 days of shipping. Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by hcho3, Nov 16, 2010.

1. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Decided to post here because I am getting MBA for my family member. Is there a huge difference between 2-3 days shipping and standard shipping?

2. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

For 14 bucks I'd do the expedited shipping. Makes the wait that little more bearable. I had regular, and it took about a week.

3. hcho3 thread starter macrumors 68030

1 more question because I don't need it right away. How long did it take them to ship it out? I am buying MBA with 4GB. Do you think they can deliver it before Thanksgiving!?

4. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

If you are real nice, they will upgrade you for free.

5. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Just keep in mind that the expedited shipping ONLY impacts the duration between the time the product leaves Singapore and arrives at your home or business. You could still be looking at 2-5 days of waiting for them to move your order to "Prepared for Shipment" status. You can't expedite that part.

That said, I just ordered the 11" netbook model with all the bells and whistles last Monday afternoon and had it delivered on Friday morning. Had I not paid for expedited shipping, it wouldn't have been delivered until yesterday or today.

I'd also encourage you to place your order on a Sunday afternoon/night or early Monday morning if you live in the USA. That way you can avoid the weekend delays which adds a day to the overall process.

6. coochiekuta macrumors 6502

its not worth it. take that money and buy yourself a large pepperoni. hell, make it a supreme deep dish.

7. hcho3 thread starter macrumors 68030

LOL

Papa johns, pizza hut or dominos?

8. hcho3 thread starter macrumors 68030

How can I be nice about it? I am ordering it online. If I call them back, they will upgrade it for cheaper price or free?

9. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Most of my wait time with 4GB RAM was the order processing and preparing for shipment. Once it shipped, it only really took 2-3 days. The $14 would have definitely been a waste in my case.

10. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

11. efirmage macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I sprung for it. I rationalized it in that I would spend more than an hour and a half agonizing over it if I didn't, and an hour and a half is how much time it costs me to make 14.

Probably a waste but it's worth it if it's a couple days earlier for me.

12. aberrero macrumors 6502a

No, mine came basically next day/2 day for free. Their standard shipping is very good.

When I bought my iPad they gave me saturday delivery for free as well. Just ordered online and they upgraded it themselves.

13. gecis macrumors regular

Dude..wtf, I just noticed your sig. You are applefied!

14. teski macrumors regular

That was funny!

In all seriousness, I paid the extra because it's not much given how much you've just paid for the laptop, and I hate waiting that extra time!

15. Glaxx macrumors regular

Glaxx

I just placed my order for the 13" w/ 4GB today. I added the expedited shipping, because it was the fastest they had on there. I then called later on in the day to see if I could bump the shipping up (willing to pay) in order to get it before Thanksgiving for sure. The rep I spoke with said that it should ship out in the next day or two, and that on his side of the system it was listed as having "overnight" shipping. Seemed pretty interesting to me, as it is only supposed to be 2-3 day shipping. I then asked him if my order delivery estimate was correct. The confirmation email says the 22nd-30th, but the rep said it should be the 22nd at the latest. I guess we'll see when it gets here.. :confused:

16. hcho3 thread starter macrumors 68030

Good good. I am ordering it tomorrow with standard shipping though. I should have it by next week... I hope.

17. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

The pricing is 'technically' a GREAT DEAL, but I'm sure they have contracts with FedEx. I say, "yes."

18. almostjay macrumors newbie

I ordered a 13"/128/4GB from MacMall at about 1PM EST today and it's apparently already in Memphis, TN (I live in the NYC metro area). Free shipping, and with the MacMall/Apple Insider discount plus no tax, I'm not sure why anyone would order directly from Apple.

What am I missing here? Is it a piece of mind thing?

19. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

It depends on what area you are shipping to really. The last few items I have ordered from Apple with "standard" shipping have arrived within 2-3 business days. This is shipping to Canada. Other countries may be different.

20. teski macrumors regular

Search for some of the MacMall threads here. Hope you don't have any problems with your machine as I've read some seriously nightmarish stories on this forum for people who's brand new MacBook Airs had issues. They've been telling people to just work with Apple rather than doing the right thing and replacing them.

This goes beyond peace of mind for me.

21. hcho3 thread starter macrumors 68030

Macmall is very tough to deal with about exchanging or returns. If your MBA gets damaged in delivery, macmall might give you hard time.

However, I might still order from macmall. I am really debating.

Did you get your holiday gift from macmall as well as your order?

22. The Final Cut macrumors 6502

ah mac mall is NOT tax free, at least not in my state...

23. KPOM macrumors G5

That's because Apple is responsible for providing warranty coverage. I purchased my MacBook Air from MacMall, but Apple replaced it for me at the store when it turned out to be one of the ones with the wake from sleep issue (which MacMall could not have known about when it sold it to me).

24. almostjay macrumors newbie

Yeah, this seems to be the biggest "risk" with dealing with MacMall. The thing is, if you buy it directly from Apple you'd have to work with Apple if something was wrong with it anyway, so I don't understand what the difference is. If people were saying that Apple was being unresponsive to MacMall customers, then I'd probably be willing to pay a little extra for peace of mind, but I don't think that's the case.

Also, if there was verifiable evidence that the probability of defect for products coming from MacMall was greater than direct from Apple, then I'd understand, but I've done a lot of research and I haven't really come across that complaint/accusation.

P.S.

My MBA is in transit and scheduled for delivery tomorrow!

25. KPOM macrumors G5

Apple was great when dealing with my defective MacBook Air that I purchased from MacMall. I registered it as soon as I received it, so it showed up on Apple's system. I even forgot to bring my MacMall receipt with me but they were able to process the exchange without it.