Apple charging $30 Dollars for iPhone 'Loaner' Rental Phones now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sixth, Sep 16, 2008.

1. sixth macrumors 6502

I just got off the phone with Apple support, my iPhone has a hardware issue (echos and crackly speaker on the bottom) and is still under warranty. I have two iPhones in the household and I had to send my wife's phone back two months ago because the bluetooth chip failed inside, and they never charged me for a 'loaner/rental' phone. I was told today that they are now charging for this? Is that correct?

2. hexonxonx macrumors 601

They charged for loaner phones last year as well. Some people complained and some people just accepted it knowing the still had a phone to use till theirs comes back.

3. sixth thread starter macrumors 6502

I have sent my wife's phone back 3 times already and NEVER paid a dime. I gave my credit card info for HOLDING, but was NEVER charged for anything. I dont get it....3 times and I never been charged? How is that possible?

4. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

$30 is crazy. Is it possible to send it without the SIM card? Can the SIM card just be put into any phone? (AT&T phone)

5. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

They ask you to not include your SIM, and yes you can pop it into any AT&T (or unlocked) phone.

6. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

I have sent an iphone to them 3 times and Never payed a dime. All you have to do is talk nice to your CSR and they WILL waive the charge. Tell them you have no other AT&T phone and ask if there is anything they can do to help. I have never been told no. Good Luck

7. aristobrat macrumors G5

It is their written policy to charge for the loaner phone.

It's been my experience (having sent about 4 iPhones in for service via mail since the original launch last year) that the agents will almost always waive the charge.

Looks like you got an agent that didn't, for whatever reason. :(