Apple Claims Iwatch has Non Apple Parts - Not True

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by HTX, Sep 29, 2017.

1. HTX macrumors newbie

My iwatch series 2 spontaneously triggered an iOS update this week causing the watch face to stick on the Apple logo. I didn't realize the system was updating and I forced a shut down thinking it needed a reboot. When that didn't work I checked the watch app on my phone and realized what was happening. The system update wheel in the watch app on my phone was spinning and could not be stopped. The next step was to call Apple support. The level 2 tech support guy had me unpair the watch from my phone and ultimately i was informed that the phone needed to needed sent in for a reset. Since we are soon leaving on a long vacation, I took the watch into the Apple store hoping they could fix it. They could not and I agreed to let them send it in for repair. Yesterday we got an email from Apple that it would cost approximately $250.00 to repair the watch. When we called to inquire about the charge we were told that their diagnostic software detected some non-apple parts in the watch. We were stunned. We are in our 70's and wouldn't dream of opening up any of our 7 apple devices or have them serviced by anyone but Apple. Apple was provided with a receipt showing that the watch was purchased from an Apple store in Houston. The watch is still under warranty and the apple store is less than 5 miles from our home so there is not incentive to use an unauthorized service. A tech guy with Apple is looking into this and hopefully will resolve it. Has anything like this happened before?

2. Mabus51 macrumors 65816

Sounds to me like you forced shut it down during an update. This caused the Watch to be unable to boot as it erased startup files before it put the new ones in. Apple would just need to reload the Watch software as they don’t give us access to do so. I wouldn’t think hardware would be involved in any matter on this.

3. HTX thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree that this is what happened, but apple’s claim that the watch has non-Apple parts is pretty weird. If it does have non Apple parts I bought it that way from the Apple store.

4. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

Escalate, escalate, escalate. Their diagnostics are probably kicking back these results because the low level firmware was wiped out.