Apple co-founder Woz: 'I get the worst, worst software almo...

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Put yourself in his shoes: getting flawed software from the company you founded HAS to be more frustrating than getting it from another source. Can't really blame him for focussing on instances where Apple hasn't done their best work.

I hope he visits http://apple.com/feedback often, for all our benefit :)

(I also hope he never tries RealPlayer...)

Sunrunner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2003
ugg

This is ridiculous. Everyone knows how Apples hardware and software offerings stack up against the rest of the field. Apple software products are consistently rated very well. This is nothing more than a move for plublicity by Woz. Pathetic. :rolleyes:

AoWolf

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Daytona Beach
I have heard his a kind of odd. My uncle who is a in palo alto (sp?) cop has pulled both him and Steve jobs over. He said that woz went off on him screaming about how importuned he was and how much money he had in the bank.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
AoWolf said:
I have heard his a kind of odd. My uncle who is a in palo alto (sp?) cop has pulled both him and Steve jobs over. He said that woz went off on him screaming about how importuned he was and how much money he had in the bank.
I find it somewhat odd that you managed to spell Palo Alto just fine but couldn't spell important.

wordmunger said:
As someone in the slashdot thread pointed out, Woz only uses Apple products. No wonder they're the buggiest products he uses.
Of course, he's just angry because they won't load on his Apple IIgs since there is no optical drive.

I'm always surprised that we never saw photos of the Steves with black eyes. Of course, that's probably because Woz gave up early and that Jobs was throwing stuff at him to keep him at a distance.

I'm not exactly sure what he does with a computer anymore, but it seems to me that it's about as much as most grannies.

I respect his work on the Apple II series, but the constant whining since then makes him sound like George Harrison.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
yellow said:
It seems to me that sWoz is ALWAYS ****ting on Apple. Is it just me?
No, it's the wacko Apple cult press. In the full interview he goes on to say that Apple are overall doing things better than anyone else, but if MacDailyNews quoted that part there wouldn't be an opportunity for the cult to express righteous indignation.

[Edit: Ah, they did quote that part. That's unusual.]

Fredo Viola

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2003
Which third party software could he possibly mean? I have found Apple software to be a tad buggy here and there, but have found the exact same for literally all other software I've used.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
yellow said:
It seems to me that sWoz is ALWAYS ****ting on Apple. Is it just me?
Read the whole article. Woz still loves Apple, he's just very critical.

Stafford: Is it difficult having started this phenomenon of a company any maybe not agreeing with some of its decisions?
Woz: Oh no, I agree with it so much. There's just a few areas that are my own values cause me to be a perfectionist, but I do not go criticizing Apple very much at all. I mean, no, I love every part of the Apple world. You can look with your eyes and just see that it always has - every version of Macintosh, including the PowerBooks - the most beautiful product quality and they generally tend to lead the others in terms of qualities you like -- thinness, size of screen, pixels on the screen. The whole world of Apple works together.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Chaszmyr said:
Read the whole article. Woz still loves Apple, he's just very critical.
It's not just this article. It seems every sWoz article I read, he's ultra-ultra-critical of Apple. It's good he's no fanboi, but would it kill him to just once say "iPhoto is teh ****!"? :) I guess I shouldn't believe everything I read.

jkhanson

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2003
It is important to take this quote in context. Woz uses Macs and his comments thus apply only in the realm of software written for the Mac. He is saying that, within this realm, he gets better software from third-party developers than from Apple itself.

That has a far, far different meaning than how some people seem to be taking this. He is not saying that Apple software is worse than software written for Windows.

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
Woz is a great inventor. However, he needs to go buy a dell and load it full of windows apps-- his opinion on what constitutes the "worst, worst software;" should change in a hurry.

MacFan782040

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2003
Scranton, PA
What's he up to these days? You think he just strolls into Cupertino and chills with all the Apple employees? I guess it kinda sucks having no power even though you co-founded this Fortune 500 company.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
I get the worst, worst software almost always from Apple.
All he is saying is that Apple turns out some bad software, not any good software. And last time I checked, I use Adium and NetNewsWire far more than I do any of my other apps...

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
Using both Windows and a Mac qualifies me to say, that in terms of operating systems, the Mac is cleaner, more intuitive, faster, and more stable.

In terms of software that Apple makes, some it is kind of crappy. Take, for example, iWork. Now both Pages and Keynote are nice looking, mostly well thought out programs, but they are both incredibly slow. And some things in Pages are not quite as intuitive as they could be.

Then there's Apple's webware, .Mac. .Mac is usually functional, but where's the innovation?

And as Woz said, there is a lot of fantastic third party software for the Mac. In fact, a lot of Apple's recent innovations have been adaptations or acquisitions from the third party market (Sound Jam MP, Konfabulator).

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
swingerofbirch said:
In fact, a lot of Apple's recent innovations have been adaptations or acquisitions from the third party market (Sound Jam MP, Konfabulator).
... and OS X, Logic and GarageBand, Final Cut, Safari, AppleWorks, iDVD, Filemaker ...

Sunrunner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2003
rosalindavenue said:
Woz is a great inventor. However, he needs to go buy a dell and load it full of windows apps-- his opinion on what constitutes the "worst, worst software;" should change in a hurry.

Very true. I think perhaps he has lost sight of what "bad" really means in the computing world...

Sunrunner

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2003
ham_man said:
All he is saying is that Apple turns out some bad software, not any good software. And last time I checked, I use Adium and NetNewsWire far more than I do any of my other apps...

No way your saying that there are (for instance) better apps out there than what Apple makes for the specific purpose they are designed for. Like DVD Studio or Final Cut. If your gonna say something is bad, how about trying to qualify that on a bell curve.