Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by vniow
Are we seeing a possible precursor to iTunes for Windows?

Hmm....

Great thinking there vniow. Once Apple gets iTMS up and going for Windows, people will have to download it (unless they buy an iPod, which I firmly believe will come with an iTunes 4 installation CD). So Windows users go to Apple's website....and then what? The Music tab might be a little too vague. The iTunes tab is perfect, and leaves no room for confusion.

"Click me and I'll show you how to get iTunes!"

Comment

FredAkbar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
Santa Barbara, CA
Is a September Paris Expo release of iTunes for Windows still a possibility, or will it definitely be later than that? I haven't really read many iTunes for Windows rumors.

Comment

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
This could be a very good move for Apple...making Windows users poke around on the Apple website and perhaps seeing something they like. "You mean there is something better than XP? Wow!"

Comment

xpormac

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
This could be a very good move for Apple...making Windows users poke around on the Apple website and perhaps seeing something they like. "You mean there is something better than XP? Wow!"

Don't see that happening :D

Comment

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
It happens more than you think. I've gotten 3 roommates and 2 best friends to switch by them just seeing my PowerBook ever day and playing with them at the store whenever I went to get something. A lot of the time, they are fed up with Windows and don't even realize there are alternatives.

Comment

skymaXimus

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2003
I think iTunes should be next to Quicktime. Switch it w/ .Mac and keep the software together and services together.

Comment

Potus

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2002
Unfortunately, teen girls don't think there's enough music at iTunes store. So they are flocking to other services.

Comment

Lord Bodak

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2003
Chesapeake, VA USA
I would guess the whole Apple Records thing was the cause for this.

If it was the term of some settlement with Apple Records you'd think we would have heard something-- but if it is _probably_ part of a settlement (i.e., not finalized yet), they may be doing it to get ready for the iTMS for Windows, to prevent changes after they start an ad campaign.

Comment

coumerelli

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2003
state of confusion.
Maybe Steve wants to divert traffic as to not have anymore 'premature specification' ;)

After all, applemusic.com could end up being some sort of stand-alone site after iTunes for windows becomes avaliable.

Comment

Wonder Boy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2003
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
"You mean there is something better than XP? Wow!"

I think it's more like "You mean there is something better than XP? I knew it! Though it wouldn't take much"

BTW Apple.com is down at 11:45 pm East Coast. I'm not sure if it means anything.

Comment

ashish100

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2003
Perth, Western Australia
yeah i think this is more to do with reaching an agreement with apple records (who?) than anything else. a pity really. coz iTunes if referring to 'Apple Music - the concept' is a little confusing

plus there's not as much promo for the music venture in the itunes name, compared with 'apple music'
meh

Comment

bobindashadows

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2002
I assumed this had to do with Apple Records.... unfortunately I wasn't the über-leet genius who first thought of it :points up thread:

Comment

Appleidea

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2003
Doetinchem, Holland
Apple.com "Music" Tab becomes "iTunes"

Apple will start the Europeana and Windows music service within a weak.
This are the following reasons:

a) Microsoft started his own download service in Europe.*
b) There are many company's that would start there own service in the U.S.A.

*It only started in England, but soon it will be in the rest of Europe.
The service is not very populair, because it's a copy of Apple's iTunes.

@shecky When you go to the store it is the same, the don't have updated it already.

Comment

nickmcghie

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
UCLA
Originally posted by Potus
Unfortunately, teen girls don't think there's enough music at iTunes store. So they are flocking to other services.

ok.. not enough music at iTMS.. i can agree with that.. but what exactly are these "other services" you talk about?

we all know that buymusic.com, which claims to have 300k tunes, in reality has closer to 200k tunes.. plus, most of the "more" tunes they have are random no-names (not that that's necessarily a bad thing) that teen girls aren't exactly interested in.. microsoft's newly launched music service is only available in england right now.. and the only other services i can think of are musicnet and pressplay, which most teenage girls have never even heard of

so i'm curious.. what "other services" are you talking about?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.