Apple.com now has links to Tiger downloads

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Probably nothing. If Tiger has reached RC1 yet, they haven't told anyone, and I figure once it reaches RC1 you have a month of seeding yet then a month to get it printed and shipped to stores.
Looks like a WWDC-time release to me :(

dguisinger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2002
Hmm.... I'm nervous, we just bought two xserves a week ago and wanted to wait as long as possible to get the OS X maintanance contracts. But as far as I know once the official date is announced I can't purchase those contracts. Anyone know the official position?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
mkrishnan said:
They need to put the 187 on those 404s and give me the 411 before I call 911. :D
OK, I understood the 404 and the 911, but the 187 and 411 have me baffled :confused:

Edit: A quick Google seems to tell me that 411 is the phone number for the Canadian white pages (is this what you meant?), but I still don't know what 187 is.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
nuckinfutz said:
187 is homicide folks. Pray you never get 187"d
It's a reference to the California penal code, Nermal. It is (was?) the code for a homicide, and so police officers referred to homicide that way, on the radio, and then gangs and kids on the street and hip-hoppers started saying it too. Now it's actually kinda old school. ;) Sorry for the American Lingo. :p

Cybernanga

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2004
Essex, United Kingdom
Breaker, breaker 1 9'er, we have a confirmed 404 on Tiger associated links, requesting permission to update the 411 in response to the 911 call. 5-0 on the scene fear that the situation may escalate to multiple 187's unless immediate reaction is undertaken. Over

Riger, Backup units are on the way, keep us posted. Over

That's a big 10-4. Will do. Over and Out.

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I don't know why people keep thinking Tiger is so early in it's development timeline... I've very thoroughly tested a build (the build right before 8A385), and IMO, it's not far off from being finished. I wouldn't be surprised to see it released this month, or early next month.

Punani

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2004
Los Angeles
iindigo said:
I don't know why people keep thinking Tiger is so early in it's development timeline... I've very thoroughly tested a build (the build right before 8A385), and IMO, it's not far off from being finished. I wouldn't be surprised to see it released this month, or early next month.
Sources hint possible delay in Mac OS X Tiger release.

I think there can be a lot that gives the appearance of general usability and stability. However, there can be that batch of systems that simply doesn't work (i.e. The days it takes to index some hard drives in Spotlight). A cursory overview of one's own system does not affirm a stable build.

It would be like beta testing a car with someone who never drives on the freeway, only to find after releasing it that the model has serious vibration issues at speeds above 60 MPH.

If you are a developer, then please ignore what I said, your experience probably outweighs my comments.

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
i can see steve saying at wwdc, "now.. on to tiger. i promised you that we would give you tiger by the first half of 2005. now everybody is saying 'ok.., its the first half of 2005.. bring it on..' now we would like you to have tiger as much as you would like to, because of all the great technology behind it. but i think it is best for both all of you and apple that we delay it for a few more months because we know you don't want to spend hours and hours on our tech support lines figuring out a little bug that won't let you go on with your life. <crowd applauses>"

well, steve?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
virus1 said:
i can see steve saying at wwdc, "now.. on to tiger. i promised you that we would give you tiger by the first half of 2005. now everybody is saying 'ok.., its the first half of 2005.. bring it on..' now we would like you to have tiger as much as you would like to, because of all the great technology behind it. but i think it is best for both all of you and apple that we delay it for a few more months because we know you don't want to spend hours and hours on our tech support lines figuring out a little bug that won't let you go on with your life. <crowd applauses>"

well, steve?
Here's my take on what Steve says at WWDC (modified from your version):
"now.. on to Tiger. I promised you that we would give you Tiger by the first half of 2005. We encountered some unexpected release date-threatening bugs in the later stages of Tiger's development, but we have managed to fix those and all of the other major issues that still existed. This means we are still on schedule for a June 24 release of Tiger. All that's left is to squash the minor, annoying bugs before we release Tiger to the world."

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
well, i'm thinking that he's going to say....
"well, yolu know we promised tiger for the first half of the year, but we ran into some serious bugs all the way, and we solved them, and are still working on tiger.

oh yeah, one last thin. you can go ahead and buy your copy right after the keynote ;)"

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
"Now onto Tiger..we have experienced a lot of last minute bugs and unfortunately the world wide release date has been put back a few months, i know i promised it by the 1st quarter of 2005, but it is still Long before Longhorn"
Then "I should learn not to promise things unless i know for sure they can be met"
Kidding of course ;)

Savage Henry

macrumors 65816
Chaszmyr said:
Looks like a WWDC-time release to me :(
I don't think that was ever in doubt. Considering this will be the last pre-Longhorn major OS update that Apple releases I think Steve would have wanted it to be unleased with maximum profile impact; rather than the web page count down and early stores opening that Panther had.

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Savage Henry said:
I don't think that was ever in doubt. Considering this will be the last pre-Longhorn major OS update that Apple releases I think Steve would have wanted it to be unleased with maximum profile impact; rather than the web page count down and early stores opening that Panther had.
Oh please, PLEASE let it be released before WWDC - I need Tiger at my job! After using Tiger, Panther just doesn't cut the mustard anymore...