Apple Comfirms Rumors To Staff....OS X v10.0.5

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, May 24, 2001.

  1. MacRumors macrumors bot


    Apr 12, 2001
    Anonymous writes "As of today (24th) Apple has released information about the forthcoming Mac OSX update (10.0.5) to customer support personnel and non-essential Apple employees.

    Details from the internal memo circulating around the office state:

    - DVD movie playback support is included in this release, but is limited ( forward, play, stop, pause, full screen etc) and is only in beta. This release will only function in a half decent way on certain Mac models which include: iMac (slot-loading), Cube, G4 Processors and Certain G3 processors that include Apple Made DVD Hardware and running atleast 300Mhz

    - Increased support for a wide range of MP3 players and CD-RW's, and also includes drivers for the up and coming Mac OS X iDVD software. (hint, hint)

    - Updated System Preferences ( no further details )

    - Major Speed Increasements within the Finder and also during the boot process.

    - Improved Core services items and 'slight' darwin improvements.

    - Further details about this release are not available although 'dock' improvements have been rumored by higher level staff but have not been offically comfirmed to me.
    - 10.0.5 Build Number =3Q8 ( rumor, not comfirmed my me)
    Check out on Friday (25th) "

    [Edited by arn on 05-25-2001 at 09:05 PM]
  2. blakespot Administrator


    Jun 4, 2000
    Alexandria, VA

    If this is true, about the DVD playback, then I might actually have a bit of a win for owning a B&W G3. The DVD player uses Apple's own Rage 128 daughterboard for decompression of the stream (with very low CPU usage)--a solution that is more solid than the more recent software method used on G4's and recent G3's. We'll see how it looks.

  3. macaddled Guest

    It's like an easement, only bigger
  4. G4 Cubert macrumors newbie

    Apr 13, 2001
    Shan't be booting into 9 again...

    ...once DVD is available. Well, except for Virtual PC...
  5. MacRumors thread starter macrumors bot


    Apr 12, 2001
    Well...I snagged a Epson 777i at the Apple Store @ Tysons ($89) since my Epson Stylus Color 600 is not supported under OS X (and hey, it's a CMYK printer (new one) which is nice) so that I could reduce my booting into 9. I still need 9 to interface with my Apple digital camera and to drive my Microtek ScanMaker X6 scanner. Also, if I want decent 3D gaming speed, I need to boot into 9 to activate my Voodoo2, which outpaces the Rage 128 rev. A for 3D pretty clearly.

    I've not tried to print under Classic, say from Photoshop, on this printer...wonder how that will go?

  6. mobile Guest

    I too am waiting for a driver for my digital cam. I've got a Canon S100 that I use far too often to have to re-boot into 9 to gain access to. At this point that's all that's keeping me from switching - once I switch to X I hope to never (read Ever) reboot in 9.
  7. #8
    So you said it would be here Friday......and now that its not you are saying Monday at the latest. So does that mean when it doesn't show up on Monday you'll say Wednesday at the latest? And when it doesn't show up then you'll say next Friday at the latest? And if it doesn't show up in the month of May at all you'll say next June at the latest? And if it doesn't show up then you'll say MacWorld at the latest?
    Next time make sure your sources aren't people who can spoof email addresses. There ARE ways to check you know. Just because someone can send spoofed email to both you and the guys at doesn't mean its "REAL". So in other words CHECK YOUR SOURCES AND YOUR INFO BEFORE REPORTING! :O Have a nice day.
  8. #9
    Look - don't fault the guy for bringing you inside information. Apple could be on track to deliver the update on Friday, and then, Mr. Jobs comes in and says "let's fix a, b, and c and send the update out then..."

    If you can't handle the rumors not coming to fruition, stop reading!
  9. blakespot Administrator


    Jun 4, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Re: Checking Your Sources!

    Where am I saying Monday now? Friday is not over, BTW.

    Also--it's an anonymous post, which you can tell by looking at the word "Anonymous" at the beginning of the post. I didn't think or indicate otherwise (or that it came from

  10. SRT Guest

    Given the choice between a rumor and silence, I'll take the rumor every time. So what if it shows up a day late? At least you've been given a hint that it is on the way.
  11. #12
    I just cant stand the wait.....
    My fingernails are gone....
  12. archangel Guest

    So much for the "Confirmed Dept"

    I guess we'll just have to wait till someone credible lets us know when the next update is due...

    And who trusts the Register or thinksecret, anyway?
  13. blakespot Administrator


    Jun 4, 2000
    Alexandria, VA

    Looks like we were wrong.'s 11:48pm here on the east coast of the US. I suppose it could technically still slide thru for some of the country...but I won't hold my breath. Still--you take the good with the bad.

  14. #15
    Lies lies lies, all day long...lies lies lies gonna sing that song!

    "You take the good with the bad"? Um no. You take the little white lies with the big obvious tall tales thats what YOU do! CHECK YOUR SOURCES!
    And about the new iBooks, Apple has already sent a letter to MacCentral denying it. CHECK YOUR SOURCES! Have a nice day. :O

    Checking Your Sources
  15. Sod Off Guest

    Sod off

    At least a rumour is possibly truthful and keeps things interesting. I would far prefer a nice fat juicy rumour like this one that MIGHT turn out to be true than yet another PR Newswire release like "AlphaTech releases revolutionary ADB - USB adaptor 2.0". So what if it turns out to be a hoax? Would you prefer that the webmaster doesn't post information that he cannot confirm (as it has not been officially announced by Apple yet). I'd rather know it and make up my own mind about whether it's true.
  16. Nick dePlume Guest

    "I guess we'll just have to wait till someone credible lets us know when the next update is due...

    And who trusts theregister and thinksecret, anyway?"


    Trust is a decision that you have to make for yourself, but I think that if you look at any of our recent content, it should be quite clear. I think our record speaks for itself.


    -Nick dePlume
    Publisher and Editor in Chief
    Think Secret

    P.S. As for the update? Given the amount of strong confirmation that multiple sources provided, I'd bet it just got delayed by a couple days. Because of Apple's unpredictability, I'm usually wary of referencing specific dates, and even though I was told Friday by several, I take fault for not being more vague. There's another site that claims that the DVD is being retooled, and though I haven't heard that, it could very well be correct.
  17. buffsldr macrumors 6502a


    May 7, 2001
    25th of what month

    Notice, he never said what month, so maybe he meant June 25. Though he did say friday(25), so when is the next Friday(25)?
  18. gandalf55 macrumors 6502

    Apr 13, 2001

    I was praying that I could use my Epson 870 after this, but the Update never happend. Arghh. I keep coming home early from things to hit the damn Software Update... don't know why but I always feel the need to get an OSX update ASAP in the hopes that I get closer to using it all the time.

  19. blakespot Administrator


    Jun 4, 2000
    Alexandria, VA

    Yea...I feel your pain. I kept waiting for drivers for my Epson Stylus Color 600, a printer I've had for 3.5 years now. I've been extremely well pleased with its functionality over the years, and have been using it with a USB adapter cable since I got this Mac (it was on my PC long ago) in 1/99--smooth as silk. As I waited and waited for OS X drivers to be added (but doubting they'd appear, since it is over three years old), I noticed that for $89 I could get a low-end Epson that is notably better than my old Stylus. So I bit the bullet and bought a 777i. Works like a charm. Out $90, but I can now print, and in CMYK (vs. the Stylus' lesser ink arrangement).

    It seems the path to OS X involves some upgrades... No pain, no gain, perhaps?

  20. d00d Guest

    Or maybe both of your sites are just full of sh*t. Nick, don't bash somebody for doubting you when you unload a bunch of garbage, expect us to believe it's news, and then get angry when we tell you that it really is just garbage.

Share This Page