Apple Compares its 3G Speed to Really Old Windows Mobile and Symbian Devices

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thabronx31, Jun 9, 2008.

1. thabronx31 macrumors member

http://pocketnow.com/index.php?a=portal_detail&t=news&id=5439

In the WWDC 2008 conference keynote today, Steve Jobs compared the iPhone 3G's 3G internet speed to the Nokia N95 and Palm Treo 750; two devices that are about 6 months older than the original 1 year old iPhone. Apple is notorious for distorting statistics and such in order to make their products seem better than they really are and this might be another good example.

I wonder if newer HSDPA devices can get the same speeds as the iPhone 3G. Engadget says they've got 215Kbps on the iPhone 3G, which isn't much more than the 201Kbps I have seen on T-Mobile's EDGE network.

What does comparing the iPhone 3G to devices that have been around for 1.5 years say about Apple?:eek::eek::eek:

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Are you a hater?

The iPhone processes webpages faster, which is a huge help.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

That there have been no better competitors built since to which they can compare?

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

N95 is still Nokia's flagship...as is the Treo 750 for Palm(on the Windows side)

I'd be pretty impressed if T Mobile's EDGE got AT&T 3G speed in really life usage. Maybe inside a building, 3G vs T Mobile best, we'll see them close....but even then, I'll take 3G

5. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

Thing is my N95 loaded the National Geographic page a lot quicker than that. Mind you I was in a 3.5G area so don't know if that affected things.

Beware of in house comparisons! ;)

6. thabronx31 thread starter macrumors member

No hater here... Just wondering why they didn't use the Tilt, or something newer? I have both, the Tilt, and Iphone, and on my home network, they pull up pages about the same. I will probally buy the new Iphone now that they(Tilt/Iphone) will be on the same page with the features I need, but if the tilt OR the new sony X1, can do better, then I will............:D

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

You answered your own question.

Apple is out to make the iPhone look good, not compare it to other great phones. You and I know iPhone is good, we also know other phones are good too. Apple wants people to buy the iPhone, so they show people things which will are true, but designed to make the iPhone look good.

8. thabronx31 thread starter macrumors member

Deleted...sorry

9. thabronx31 thread starter macrumors member

Good point..U get a :apple:

10. -Trinity- macrumors newbie

N95 also loads and renders all the flash content that National Geographic pages contains. Way to go Apple! Always try to make competitors look worse than they are.

11. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

I've never had an N95 so please tell me if I'm wrong here but is the N95 multi-touch or does it use a joystick ? Also is the resolution (240 x 320 pixels ?

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Heh. For the same reason that Apple got their talk and surfing times this way:

In other words, they used the least power-hungry frequency band, probably on a test rig next to the phone (much less power needed), and went to a dedicated web server (no lag) every three minutes and got mail only every hour.

As an engineer, I love little song and dances like this.