Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Via MacMinute:
While Apple's launch of its subscription-based .mac services has left scores of iTools users feeling anywhere from disappointed to infuriated, there seems to be no greater frustration than with users who rely on their mac.com email address. Initially presented with the option of paying to upgrade to .mac or losing their email account entirely, Apple appears prepared to launch a compromise. An addition to the .mac Help section discusses Converting your .Mac trial account to an email-only account, which will presumably be free; all other iTools-stored information will be deleted. At press time, however, the options for completing the procedure are not yet in place.

Could this possibly be a good thing :)

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
wow now thats APPLE

hey, now I almost feel bad....they where so responsive....
their compromise should of been their ORIGINAL solution
since @mac.com email was suppose to be free for life
anyhooos...........

hopefully they will see the light on the Jaguar issue.:D

Good GOING APPLE.....nice response time.

ShaolinMiddleFinger

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2001
There's like 3 or 4 threads that are on this same subject. Apparently no one can get it to work and I think it was just a back up plan for apple. Too bad, Apple didn't enable it into their system....yet...

From what I read, a lot of people have run back to hotmail for their email needs.....talk about switchers.... I know that if I have to pay in 75 days for email, I'm switching back to hotmail....as for now, it's a wait and see thing for me

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
YES! Please please please stevo... let me keep my email address!

I only use the other iTools stuff cuz it's there... I don't want it, and I don't need it. And I don't want to pay $50 for an email adress, $100 next year. I simply won't do it.

elgruga

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2001
Canada
OK - thats better!

I have complained all day about this and now they tell me that I can keep my mac.com address for free.

Great! But I am happy to pay a small amount for it - why not charge about $10-15 a year for the email only deal?
That would bring in about $10 million - I assume that most would pay to keep it, as long as it wasnt too expensive.

I realise that Apple needs to make a profit on their operations.

I feel like a jerk for all the Apple slamming I have engaged in today over this email issue - I could never use any other computer, OSX is the best.

Ah, Apple, how you can make us mad and then make us happy the next minute!

Well back to teaching myself DreamWeaver MX on OSX......

ShaolinMiddleFinger

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2001
Re: OK - thats better!

Originally posted by elgruga
I have complained all day about this and now they tell me that I can keep my mac.com address for free.

Great! But I am happy to pay a small amount for it - why not charge about $10-15 a year for the email only deal?
That would bring in about $10 million - I assume that most would pay to keep it, as long as it wasnt too expensive.

They say you can but they're not allowing it at the moment.... I wouldn't pay anything for a email account. Maybe back in the days when there weren't any free email but now....you can find them anywhere on the web.

charge money for email is a bad move. Keep it free and charge for the homepage, iDisk...etc...

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
If you read all of the options, this appears to be an option to add additional iTools e-mails to your paid .mac account for $10 each, not a free solution.

Open the window, and read all the tabs, top to bottom. If you have 5 iTools accts, you can convert 4 of them to e-mail only accounts for $10 each.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Re: Re: OK - thats better!

Originally posted by ShaolinMiddleFinger

They say you can but they're not allowing it at the moment.... I wouldn't pay anything for a email account. Maybe back in the days when there weren't any free email but now....you can find them anywhere on the web.

charge money for email is a bad move. Keep it free and charge for the homepage, iDisk...etc...

You set up a 'free' email service, and see how free it ends up being for you. These things cost money, and in an economy like this, companies can't afford to host too many 'free' things. There are very few free e-mail services out there that are actually worthwhile. Even microsux charges for their good e-mail service (they have a free one, but it sux, and you have to pay for more space). You should be at least willing to pay $10-$15 bucks a year for good email, especially for Apple.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
Re: OK - thats better!

Originally posted by elgruga

I feel like a jerk for all the Apple slamming I have engaged in today over this email issue - I could never use any other computer, OSX is the best.

Ah, Apple, how you can make us mad and then make us happy the next minute!

Well back to teaching myself DreamWeaver MX on OSX......

hehe well cant you just be happy, NOW you want to pay....just kidding...
yea, I felt bad too so I WILL SEND A THANK YOU LETTER, it would be
nice if our patition can now be sent as a thank you letter....(that comment
is for the wonderful patition maker).

boy apple sure has us under an emotional thumb.....they make me
feel bipolar...hehe.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Originally posted by G4scott
holy crap! that petition's got almost 5000 signatures in less than a day!

This site was instrumental in influencing Apple policy in a way very posoitive to general consumers.

This site informed and motivated thousands of people with a few dozen internet posts to a bulletin board.

Yes there was whining and complaining. But the Petition was motivated by the suggested alternatives which indicated a win-win and cost effective solution was right there. It was reviewed by Apple on a TIMELY basis and responded to on a TIMELY basis.

The request to continue offering email addresses for free was retained.

I suspect the concern for a complete lack of discounts for upgrades will also be reviewed starting with coupon holders and recent new hardware buyers. This is sensationally good news for Apple Computer Customers. It means Apple actually listens.

Rocketman

Early poster on the solution.

samy85114

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2001
paying?

i don't even want to pay for such thing!
Like someone said before, I also only use the email service,
...... anti-virus... card... bla bla bla ... i DON't CARE!
email, that's all I care about.
Few minutes ago, I was writing in the .mac feedback page...
then I came here and I admit that I wasn't that surprised to see
so much complaining!

To conclude, i only have one thing to say,
let me keep my mac.com! I love the name, this looks professional, isn't it?
And don't piss me off with your anti-virus services.... That's the reason why,
I use a mac I never minded about viruses before.
Even with my peecee, even if a virus could make it explose... so then make it
explose!!!!!

Good night!!!! ( " ... everybody, God bless america " Bush said on september, 11)

carlsson

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2001
Make your voice heard!

I want to remind everyone about these urls:

If you want to give Apple your opinion about the .Mac concept (eg that the email service should be free):
http://www.apple.com/feedback/mac.html

If you want to sign a petition about the too highly priced mac.com email service:
http://www.petitiononline.com/iTol/petition.html

If you want to sign a petition about the lack of upgrade possibilities for Mac OS X 10.2:
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/Jaguar/petition.html

(note about the petitions; The Jaguar Petition came up approx 12 hours later than the other, thereas the lack of names)

ShaolinMiddleFinger

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2001
This is so funny....there's so many people that want their free email back....right this very moment, if you try to get into your mac.com email, it won't let you...it's giving me a

"Can't connect to application instance"

now if this lasts for another 74 days, i'm gonna be one pissed off consumer...similar to what i was earlier

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
I think at least the email should be free...that's the most important part of iTools for me IMHO and all mac users should have access to a mac email address anyway...

cyclist

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2002
mpls, mn
thanks andreascarlson

I'm very new to this mac thing and feel a little cheated by this latest development.

Makes me feel better knowing the community of Mac users don't all roll over like dogs.

Thanks for the petition posts.

Stand and Deliver
:confused:

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
iSync needs .mac?!

here's an angle on .mac that i hadn't read anywhere else but in the NY Times. personally, i'd like to think that any info i source on my home network and keep there needn't rely on outside services to propagate to my devices. sheesh.

"More bad news: to keep calendars and address books updated
on multiple Macs, whether within a household, across town
or across the world, iSync relies on a new suite of
Web-based services that Apple calls .Mac"

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/18/t...5&ex=1027981579&pagewanted=print&position=top

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
Re: iSync needs .mac?!

Originally posted by zimv20

"More bad news: to keep calendars and address books updated
on multiple Macs, whether within a household, across town
or across the world, iSync relies on a new suite of
Web-based services that Apple calls .Mac"

No, not at all. I installed "Backup" during the keynote, and I would guess that iSync would be the same. You only need the .mac account if you want to use that as a place to backup to, or I would guess, a place to sync to. This way, you could have your work computer sync to .mac, and then go home and sync your home computer. It is just like in the presentation. iCalendar will let you share your calendar via your .mac/itools account. Simple.

As for .mac email being free, don't be surprised if access to it via pop and imap goes away. The most I would hope for would be the ability to use the mail.app to access it via http, ala OE and hotmail.

Not that anyone asked, but I think that $50, and even $100 is reasonable for the services that they are offering. Particularly the backup stuff. I don't need to backup my whole drive, just some irreplaceable docs. Besides, photos and mp3s are easily burned to disc.

bobky

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2001
UK
I a bit confused at the moment, when I read about the .mac upgrade page on apple.com, I seem to assume that it was optional, and that you could keep your mac.com email, without having to pay. After all that is why I got the itools thing in the first place, because it said free email for life.

it is a bit anoying as I have just graduated, and promised all my friends that the email I gave them would always work and wouldn't change. So we had a better chance of staying in contact.

If worse comes to worse I dont mind just paying a small fee just for the email, i dont need any of the other stuff.

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2002
illegal

I think what Apple's doing here is illegal (unless you can keep the email address). They intentionally lured people with false promises... You'll never need another email service again... and best of all, it's free for life... etc. Now that they have 2 million members, they suddenly turn it into a payable service. The problem is that you can't easily replace an email address: the current address is written on the web, in other people's/companies' address books, mailing lists... everywhere.

People were told that @mac.com was a permanent free address, so a lot of them signed up not because of the @mac.com name, but because it was supposed to be a free and permanent service (at least as long as Apple exists). They probably changed their address to @mac.com over the years and closed their other email accounts.

Among current members, there are people that are going to pay because they already have used the address for a long time and can't switch to another addresss on such short notice. Nothing wrong with that if Apple had told us that this was only a test drive for 2 years or that they plan to charge for it at some point in the future or something like that. BUT they said it was FREE FOR LIFE.

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
From the Apple Advertising:

"Get a prestigious mac.com email account for life with iTools!"

AND on the computer box:

"Free iTools account"

There seems to be some confusion surrounding the .mac email "backdown". Well, macminute.com have taken it offline and to me it looks as if it's just an FAQ for setting up new email addresses. In the meantime, sign those petitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.