Apple Confirms Flaws in iTunes 5, fix early next week

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
On the topic of flaws, since upgrading to 5, I've noticed that my podcasts are now listed in the main library (in addition to the Podcasts library). Is this normal? And how can I revert to the 4.9 behaviour?

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
I guess I've been lucky, I haven't had any of the problems people are talking about so far.

I wish they would make it look like it used to, though.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
The podcasts are supposed to be in the main library now. That's a result of all the complaints from them being separate in 4.9. I guess they can't please everyone :eek:

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
iMeowbot said:
The podcasts are supposed to be in the main library now. That's a result of all the complaints from them being separate in 4.9. I guess they can't please everyone :eek:
Would it really be too hard to have a little check box though?

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I also dislike the Podcasts in the main library. Hope they change that in 5.1. Anyway, I think it's really bad for the Windows version of iTunes to have major bugs. It gives potential switchers the impression that Apple makes buggy software, which generally isn't true (I realize some MR members will disagree). Hopefully they get the problems fixed soon like they're saying they will. I had one fairly minor problem with iTunes 5 crashing 5 times in a row on starting, but it fixed itself and has been working fine since.

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
Dear Apple,

Podcasts are not music. Keep them out of my music library.

Signed,
Me

For those looking for a 'fix' to this issue. When in the library, click Edit->Show Search Bar, then select music. Now one would think that when you click music it stays that way. It changes back to all when it wants to (specifically, coming from the music store).

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
ham_man said:
Would it really be too hard to have a little check box though?
I guess so, but the old behavior went against Apple consistency guidelines. THey probably figured they had to make that part follow the rules in atonement for the weirdo squared-off plastic windows. :D

winmacguy

macrumors 68020
Nov 8, 2003
New Zealand
Nermal said:
On the topic of flaws, since upgrading to 5, I've noticed that my podcasts are now listed in the main library (in addition to the Podcasts library). Is this normal? And how can I revert to the 4.9 behaviour?
Hey Nermal do you make your own podcasts or download other peoples?

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
I noticed that when I'm in a playlist, and I click the arrow for, example, an artist, it doesn't take me to a list of all songs by the artist. It takes me to the main library, with no particular songs selected. :(

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
punter said:
i am happy the podcasts are in the main library. now my car/alpine connection can recognise them.
Yeah, I like it too. At least now I can do a search for anything within my iTunes music folder.

1macker1

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2003
A Higher Level
I think they know Apple has some buggy software, but I think they (Windows users) will be amazed at how quick the issue is fixed.
mduser63 said:
I also dislike the Podcasts in the main library. Hope they change that in 5.1. Anyway, I think it's really bad for the Windows version of iTunes to have major bugs. It gives potential switchers the impression that Apple makes buggy software, which generally isn't true (I realize some MR members will disagree). Hopefully they get the problems fixed soon like they're saying they will. I had one fairly minor problem with iTunes 5 crashing 5 times in a row on starting, but it fixed itself and has been working fine since.

Reckless

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2005
The update somehow managed to lose all my playlists whilst retaining all my wife's playlists. :confused:

Luckily they were all smart playlists and so easily replaced.

I did think that perhaps she'd sabotaged it :)

sjk

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Eugene
Re: Podcasts in Library

I agree that's an inconvenience (for some) but think it's best the main Library includes podcasts and any other content (e.g. video) that's accessible from within iTunes. I can imagine alternatives to smart playlists for filtering out podcasts and other content, but I'm not convinced it's best to "tamper" too much with the main Library view as it's currently implemented ...

Smart playlists are implemented to implicitly use the Library. If there were a preference to exclude podcasts (et.al.) from the Library "view" would smart playlists honor that preference? To avoid ambiguities like that it's important that *one* playlist be designated as all-inclusive for *all* content and right now that's the Library.

Any "virtual view" of that all-inclusive Library that might unwittingly interfere with other virtual views would be undesirable. Said another way, the Library itself should never become a virtual view. And creating a "Genre is not Podcast" smart playlist as a "shadow Library" sans podcasts is how to avoid that with what iTunes currently gives us to work with. Things would be different if, say, Podcasts were implemented as a true peer of the Library. But that has its tradeoffs, too.

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
Superdrive said:
Dear Apple,

Podcasts are not music. Keep them out of my music library.

Signed,
Me
Neither are audiobooks, but they've been there since the beginning!

My personal beef:
Stuff I have imported from CD myself, joined together (using doug's applescripts etc.) and made bookmarkable (again doug's applescript, and now a checkbox in the info panel - excellent) - are essentially audiobooks, and when I click the "audiobook" button on the new search bar, they are not included, even though they are tagged "audiobooks" genre! iTunes only seems to recognize content that has been downloaded from the iTMS or Audible.com as an "Audiobook" - grrr.

sjk

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Eugene
James Philp said:
... and when I click the "audiobook" button on the new search bar, they are not included, even though they are tagged "audiobooks" genre! iTunes only seems to recognize content that has been downloaded from the iTMS or Audible.com as an "Audiobook" - grrr.
Any idea what iTunes is using to distinguish Audiobooks in searches if not the genre?

On another topic... while browsing a shared iTunes library I noticed that videos aren't shared. Grumble.