Apple considering moving manufacture back to U.S. ... it's about time (merged)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Jackintosh, May 31, 2012.

1. Jackintosh, May 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2012

Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

Third world labor exploitation while high U.S. unemployment never made me a fan of this part of Apple.

2. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Manufacturing products in the US leads to a massive disparity in costs and other regulatory restrictions that companies in those 3rd world don't have to deal with. If it's made in the US, consumer's usually pay a premium for it. Sucks for the unemployed but it's just not a level playing field.

3. Avro macrumors regular

Avro

Apple pays the workers about 5 times what they would make working for local industry. So you might have to reconsider your remarks about exploiting 3rd world labour, which would be more properly called 'emerging economy' labour. Also Apple sells most of its products outside of the US and so I am afraid this 'bring back' attitude is very niche, not to say self-centred.

4. zarusoba macrumors 6502

If Apple left China, there would be one heck of an uproar, and a lot of Chinese going back to poverty.

5. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

This actually isn't true at all. There are many reasons why it might be advantageous to manufacture abroad, but being "massively cheaper" is generally not one of them.

6. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

Are you just arguing semantics here or do you have some proof to back up your claim?

This thread, beginning with the thread title, is so full of misinformation it's hilarious.

7. NippleFox macrumors newbie

If that is the case, iPhone will become very expensive and no one is gonna buy it..so I dont think they will move it back to U.S:)

8. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Yes, because it's Apple's fault the US is currently facing such high levels of unemployment, right? May as well blame them for the Tsunami in Japan and the Chernobyl disaster while you are at it. :rolleyes:

One country's loss is another country's gain. No offense intended, but not every Apple customer is an American, nor necessarily cares about solving US unemployment enough to care about just where those iphones and ipads are being manufactured. ;)

9. golf1410 macrumors 6502a

golf1410

I guess you may like to pay Apple's product 5 times more expensive than at the moment. The reason that these companies go with the choice of outsourcing outside USA is competitive price.

10. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

Apple is considering moving manufacturing back to the US? Finally. I was really sick of only paying $700 for my iPad. I would much rather pay $2,900.

Where is your source? Might want to tell us that. If it's the D10 conference with Tim Cook, I'd say "Apple is considering..." is stretching it quite a bit. But whatever.

11. andothfc macrumors regular

The whole premise of the thread is false. Apple is not considering moving manufacture back at all.

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

One of the main reasons it will never happen is the one not talked about: Secrecy. It is a lot easer in a communist country in the middle of nowhere employing peasants who know little about technology.

Now move to the US where ever employee has a video camera in their pocket and is dying to be the first to post a "scoope" on the web.

13. Deako macrumors 6502

Thats why Foxconn are expanding manufacturing facilities for Apple by spending hundreds of millions of $. Sure............

I would imagine in terms of total sales, Apple sells the majority of its products abroad. Quite frankly, we already pay more for our devices in the UK than you do in the USA, so i would never buy any Apple products if they were made in the USA.

14. E.Lizardo macrumors 65816

That's just simply false.

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I read it on the Interwebs- it must be true. :rolleyes:

17. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Apple already has plants outside of China. While I think it's unlikely they would close the Chinese plants it's feasible they could open a small factory in the U.S. as a pr move.

The demand for Apple products is so great that regional factories could become somewhat possible.

18. salmoally macrumors regular

Why do people think that the reason for Apple staying in China is to do with low labour costs?

It's all to do with the lack of skilled workers available in the US. Until your government starts providing training schemes and better education your not going to be able to compete. Same story over here in the UK.

19. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

20. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Okay then, have fun with your $1,400 iPads, $800 iPhones, and $3,000 Airs.

I'll just go to the cheap $400 tablets (made in China), $200 (made in China), and $1,000 Ultrabooks (Made in China).

21. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

22. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

Yeah, but he gives a politically correct answer and speaks of it as a distant aspiration and not something that would ever happen in the near future. Any US CEO worth his/her salt would say the same thing. He then goes on to talk about how the US doesn't have the capability to be competitive for this level of manufacturing anymore simply because there aren't enough suppliers in the game. We've moved beyond this stage in the supply chain, as should be the case for a developed country.

23. ppilone macrumors 6502

Unrelated to this thread (that doesn't make much sense) I don't understand your comment. I understand non-US customers don't care about US problems, but Apple is an American company and I'm assuming the OP is American, so it's not outrageous that both of them should/do care about improving US unemployment.

24. kdarling, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012

kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Cook did exactly what Jobs was famous for: he used a meaningless statistic as a diversion, knowing that its novelty would sway the naive.

You see, it doesn't matter how many tool and die makers can fit in that room (I presume he meant over 5,000 company reps, since that's how many there are in the US ... averaging over a hundred companies per state), all it takes is a small handful for Apple to spend its billions on.

As for technical talent, a main reason why Samsung has built their latest chip plants in Austin TX is because of the labor pool available around a technical American university.

There's also the consideration of longterm ROI on training. At Foxconn, most laborers want to come in for a couple of years, make some money, then move back home. They're not in it for the longhaul. Quality suffers when people are not willing to settle down with their families near a factory and take pride in the product.

25. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

If the US got rid of the minimum wage, safety regulations, EPA, and all that, how quickly will we turn into the stereotypical Chinese sweatshop? Plus, I doubt Apple, or any company for that matter, will lower prices if people keep buying their products at current prices.I really fear that if the US gets rid of its labor regulations, it won't bring anyone up but rather make most people go down.