Apple considers the "Fair market price of a 2010 octa MP at £400 under it's retail"

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sochet, Aug 12, 2010.

1. sochet macrumors regular

sochet

Thought this might be of interest to you guys,

I'm filling out some forms for my replacement MP from Apple, and they have two policies:

1. Collect the old one then send a new one out
    2. Put the order for the new one first then arrange collection, they however take your CC number in case you don't return the MP

I noticed they deem the "Fair market value" of the MP to be £2,468.09. The true retail price is £2,799.

What does this mean? When I bought the '08 MP I was a student, so maybe that's why. If it does mean that Apple's profits per computer is £400, that's less than expected.

Either way there's no NDA clause in the paper work so I'm comfortable showing this.

Attached Files:

2. Chuck Fadanoid macrumors member

Is your current MP broken?

Maybe they work it out as retail price of new one minus the value of parts in the broken mac?

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Fair Market Value is the value of an open box unit. Just like a new car, or really most products, the minute you pop the original seal it loses 10% or more. It's why stores charge a restock on electronics returns.

4. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

Do they?

I've never encountered such a thing.
    If I return something bought online during the cooling off period there is no way I'd throw 10% away. What person would?

5. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Nobody LIKES to pay restocking fees, but most stores charge them on computers if they're non-defective returns. Once a customer opens the box, the store can no longer expect to resell the item at full price. Restocking fees help recoup the loss in margin, which actually isn't very high on computers to begin with.

6. goMac macrumors 603

Just like a car, taking it out of the box and using it makes it worth less.

7. Sleephartha macrumors member

Sleephartha

What everyone else said.... and to be fair you rounded way upwards... its only 331.90 less, not 400. :cool:

8. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

so are you turning in an 08 that works. if it works are they swapping the 2010 even? or are you turning in a dead 08 and they are replacing it with the 2010?

9. sochet thread starter macrumors regular

sochet

It's a dead '08. It's had it's superdive replace once, it's logic board replaced once and the graphics card. It still wasn't working right after I got it back the third time and Amsys (the official repair center for London) were going to replace the logic board and graphics card again, so I asked for a new one because I've lost almost the cost of the thing in earnings!

10. Gonk42 macrumors 6502

There is a difference between the UK and the US. In the US you can be charged a restock fee however quickly you return it (I think - I'm not certain on this).

In the UK the distance selling legislation means that as long as you return the item in as new condition within the 7 day cool off period they must refund you in full (though I think that you are liable for the postage costs).

11. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I suppose they intend to fix whatever is wrong with your old Mac and then sell it as refurbished for that amount of money, so that is what Apple would lose if you don't return the Macintosh.