Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SimBim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2003
does anybody know if the new apple bluetooth keyboard works with a windows pc? besides my mac i have a pentium pc (windows xp) and i would like to use the same cordless keyboard with both of them. thanks

simon

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
i very seriously doubt it, as the software needs to be properly configured to get the two bluetooth modules to talk to each other. plus, if they were operating on the same frequency, the keyboard would control *both* at once, which would be less than ideal... so even if you found a software workaround, you'd still have to change the frequency every time you switched computers.

pnw

slowtreme

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2003
Tampa FL
Bluetooth is not "that" complicated. If you have a receiver and a device, once you discover it you should be able to use it.

That being said, as noted it would be very difficult to use one BT kb for two PCs. You'll be disconnecting and reconnecting a lot.

Bluefusion

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2003
New York, NY
The USB Pro Keyboard does not work on Windows (a shame, as it's really the best non-ergo keyboard out there IMHO), so it'd stand to reason that the wireless one wouldn't either. In addition, having one BT device on two machines is nearly impossible to begin with...

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
That Might Work

I own the Apple wireless keyboard. As far as I can tell, it is only a BT input device. But, here's the deal:

The pairing function might require you to only use the keyboard with one computer at once. I have my everyday OS X partition and then a "virgin" OS X partition with Disk Warrior. I was able to pair the keyboard and mouse to both systems.

BUT, If I start up my PowerBook from the second partition through FireWire target mode, I cannot use the keyboard to run both computers. The ironic part is that the keyboard cannot wake a computer from sleep. So, if you are using it with the Mac, put the Mac to sleep, then pair it to the PC. When you are ready to use the Mac again, just wake it from sleep and it will pair again. I know that works because I can use the keyboard on both my Macs, as long as one is sleeping. I don't know how easy it is to pair a keyboard to a PC, but is bloody simple on the Mac. You might be on to something, give it a go.

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
Originally posted by paulwhannel
even if you found a software workaround, you'd still have to change the frequency every time you switched computers.

pnw [/B]

I don't think there is a way to change frequency, pretty sure about that. Like AirPort, cell phones and microwaves, it uses the 2.4Ghz lane.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by Bluefusion
The USB Pro Keyboard does not work on Windows (a shame, as it's really the best non-ergo keyboard out there IMHO), so it'd stand to reason that the wireless one wouldn't either. In addition, having one BT device on two machines is nearly impossible to begin with...
i use the pro keyboards on windows all the time. just for the correction.

iJon

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
Yup, me too

I've been using my white Pro Keyboard on the Production Dell at work. I only keep that damn thing around to run ETC Lighting software for Theatre. I so wish my employer would let me buy VPC so I can tale that damn Dell tower out back and beat the hell out of it as it so richly deserves. I am not a Mac zealot, but that damn Dell is always screwing up.

tazo

macrumors 68040
Originally posted by Bluefusion

The USB pro keyboard does work with most WINDOWS OS'es after i think 98SE. I have seen it done ;)

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by Balin64
I don't think there is a way to change frequency, pretty sure about that. Like AirPort, cell phones and microwaves, it uses the 2.4Ghz lane.

i oversimplified, apologies. it does of course use the bluetooth standard frequency, however i believe it's divided into channels so that you can use multiple bluetooth peripherals and systems in vicinity of each other. if you had two macs sitting next to each other, with wireless keyboard, something has to tell the computer which keyboard to listen to.

so, once you figured out a way to discover the keyboard on the PC, you'd have to re-discover it on the Mac each time you wanted to go back and forth. rather inconvenient... probably worth the hassle of having two keyboards...

pnw

codepoet

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2003
works just fine

the apple wireless keyboard works just fine on windows. i have it running on both my thinkpads, one with win XP and the other one with linux.

i am using the latest release of the IBM Bluetooth stack. The Microsoft BT stack does not work on IBM Thinkpads but is compatible - against all rumors the MS BT keyboard even works on Macs.

if you want to use one keyboard on two machines you do indeed need to unpair and pair again each time you switch. there is no obvious other solution, unless someone comes up with a bluetooth KVM switch. hmm, maybe a new business there.

a workaround exists, which i use. since it is possible to connect to Windows remotely (natively on XP and from other OSses via the rdesktop protocol) i don't connect to the machine via the console but instead use the linux desktop as the main machine and connect to the XP box via rdesktop. With a local 100Mbit connection everything except streaming video works.

alternatively one could use the device on the windows box and connect to the UNIX-like OS via X. your choice.

Ashwee

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2003
England
I just got a Apple Wireless Keyboard and Mouse, tried to pair it with my Windows XP using the latest Widcomm drivers (1.4.2.10) and they wont pair, get a error and says summit about the device not being HID complient.
Any help?

codepoet

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2003
that seems strange. i tried this with the IBM drivers on my thinkpads and there is no problem. Linux also likes the device.

Which BT-Dongle are you using? The IBM built-in bluetooth is a TDK USB dongle, which in turn is a CSR (Cambridge Silicon Radio) chip. If your chip is similar, you may want to try the IBM Bluetooth suite instead of the Microsoft one. You can download that one at ibm.com - but I don't kno if that thing works on non-IBM platforms

But, just to be sure, the Apple wireless keyboard IS fully HID compliant.

Ashwee

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2003
England
I got the Keyboard working great on my PC, but the Mouse dosent seem to pair, says that the mouse dosent support the HID service.
It there any key mapping software for Windows that will map the keys of the Apple Wireless Keyboard to their right characters.
codepoet: Does the volume and eject keys work on your Keyboard on the PC? mine dont :(

codepoet

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2003
hi, as far as the mouse goes, i did not like it since it only has one button. and i need the right button a lot, so no idea how to make that one work.

using the IBM software, keymapping was possible. the apple keys work as windows keys. I did not try to map the volume and eject buttons, but I assume there must be a tool out there to do that for windows. Linux comes with such a tool and i mapped the extra F13-F16 to useful functions (cut/copy/paste/Scroll-Lock......). I did not get the eject to work as i wanted, mostly because i have a slot-in drive and somehow it ejects and immediatley pulls the disc back in????? well, so i mapped the eject button to so it would lock the screen when i step out.

felix

VAG

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2003
Greece
Hi guys, new here but I know some things :)
I bought lastweek from eBay an Apple Keyboard Pro USB (The new one that comes with G5) and an Apple Mouse Pro Optical.
I use the mouse with my iBook G3 700Mhz 640MB Ram and the Keyboard I use it with PC.

I found this great tool that makes:
F13 = Print Screen
F14 = Scroll Lock
F15 = Break
Right AppleKey = Context Menu Key

Even the Mute/ Vol UP/Down works, but not the Eject.

http://www.justthom.com/applekeys/

It's freeware and you must place a shortcut of it to your Startup, so every time your Windows XP will start you'll have those keys enabled.

As about compatibility from my experience with this Keyboard, if you setup from your BIOS the system to boot with All USB devices like Mouse/Keyboard (It's located in Integrated Peripherals section on Award Bios)...then your Keyboard will work also with Dual boot systems and with no problems at all into Windows :)

I think this helps some of you, as about the main topic about Wireless, haven't tried but I'll search and will let you know when I find one.

codepoet

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2003
lets see if we can make this work with the bluetooth keyboard. cool program though, and since it comes with the source, i think it should be possible to make it work with other keyboards as well - i also use a SUN type 6 keyboard with buttos like Cut/Paste/Undo etc.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I tried a couple of cheap (about 50 euros) PC infrared keyboard and multi-button mouse combos on my Mac, and was surprised they work perfectly too. (Apart from the obvious oddities, like the Windows key is Command, and F12 in place of a dedicated Eject button).

Not quite what you're asking, but a cheaper option..

pinto32

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2003
PA
If nothing else, Staples is running a sale on wireless keyboards and mice right now. I just got my (XP-using) brother a Logitech "cordless access duo optical" set for christmas for $60. Its not bluetooth, or apple, but its still not bad. It works on Windows and OS X.

kzoonut

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2002
Colorado
Logitech Keyboards & Mouse

As a late b-day gift my pops got me a Logitech Cordless Duo MX Keyboard and Mouse combo - besides the rechargeable mouse (w/dock), the feature I am most impressed with is the keyboard - it also sports the Mac layout labeling - makes it real nice for my p-book when I set it up, and also works on PC... An awesome keyboard/mouse combo..can be found for ~ $70 USD..would highly recommend it...

chanj

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2004
Help : Wireless Apple Keyboard

I just bought the wireless apple keyboard and the D-Link DBT-120 (With Driver v1.4.2.10). Trying to get it to work on PC

The D-link is working since it can pair with my P900 but will not pair with the keyboard.

(Also the Apple Disk is will not boot up in my PC...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.