Apple could be forced to allow UK Government to read data (9to5Mac)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dilap, Nov 2, 2015.

1. dilap macrumors 6502a

This was attempted to be published a few months ago as the Snoopers Charter, but a new bill is being announced on Monday, and it could force companies to do this (includes iMessage, Snapchat, FaceBook Messenger, WhatsApp etc.). If the Telegraph is to believed, Apple has to allow governments to see our data. Hopefully these laws don't apple as Apple are an american company, and that Apple don't have to make the choice between privacy and selling in the UK.

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Apple should call their bluff and just stop doing business in England. Get Google and Facebook to do the same.

3. Flunkyturtle macrumors 6502

It's like their third biggest market, their stock holders wouldn't agree.

4. dilap thread starter macrumors 6502a

And neither would a lot of the UK Population (68 million)

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I think the UK population has a lot of bigger things to worry about if this law passes.

6. sim667 macrumors 65816

They effectively want to ban encrypted messaging if I recall correct. It would destroy all sorts of communication.

7. dilap thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yup, they say that it is easy for terrorists to contact each other.

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Seems that the UK government is spreading more fear than the terrorists they are trying to stop.

The same with the American government doing the same thing. Don't they realize they are playing right into the terrorists hands. This is the paranoia they want to spread and our lawmakers buy into it.

9. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

This is what happens when you let old out of touch government morons pass laws on things they don't understand.

Encryption with a back door is completely pointless and is no different than transmitting data without encryption at all. A "backdoor" to encryption is nothing more than a security flaw. These officials are clueless if they think they can implement some type of backdoor that hackers won't be able to find and exploit. If it exists, they will find it and they will exploit it.

UK companies are going to become major targets of hackers trying to steal financial data if this actually happens. It will literally make it impossible to conduct secure financial transactions in the UK. This could put many UK-based tech and finance companies out of business.

Meanwhile, the "terrorists" that these clowns are trying to make people scared of will just download open source encryption software without backdoors and continue to communicate security using unbreakable encryption.

10. soupcan macrumors 6502a

soupcan

Apple won't do this. Ever. No matter what law says they should.

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Apple went into China. They caved to their laws.

12. zakarhino macrumors 6502a

zakarhino

'Let's destroy the privacy rights for each and every citizen because we're afraid some guy called Ahmed or someone with a turban might be a terrorist.' - Standard Plebeian

Somehow I'm not surprised that most of the UK population don't care, I've spoken to enough idiots from my hometown who are convinced that terrorism is a huge threat to the UK and only mass surveillance can stop it. They usually regurgitate the "Got nothing to hide so why fear!" argument at some point too.

People never learn. Last I checked, only one conviction has actually come about because of the NSA: some american sent money to a Somalian terrorist group. That's not even a direct threat such as a bomb or mass shooting.

Glad I moved out of the UK before this law could be passed anyway... Then again, I moved to the USA so it's sort of a out of the frying pan situation.

13. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

They've got nothing to hide but they'll be the first ones throwing a temper tantrum on twitter when some scammer from Ukraine/Russia/Korea/Nigeria/etc drains their bank account because their financial transactions had a huge "COME IN WE'RE OPEN" sign on them. That's effectively the atmosphere this garbage would create.

This is the problem when the masses don't understand the technology they use every day.

14. sim667 macrumors 65816

I think the government are pushing the agenda based more on the fear of paedophiles. Its all a bit brass eye over paedophiiles here at the moment

15. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Because in Europe terrorists have caused more carnage and mayhem than, say, totalitarian governments.

16. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Germany 1933 - 1945
    Russia 1917- 1989

17. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Precisely. But don't forget Spain, Greece, etc.

UK 201?-2???