Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last year, Apple launched its iPhone trade-in program at its retail stores across the United States, as customers could receive up to $250 for turning in an eligible device. Now, iPhone in Canada notes (via 9to5Mac) that Apple has reduced the value of iPhone trade-ins, with customers in the U.S. and Canada now only receiving up to $225. Before the change, the value of iPhone trade-ins had climbed to $275.

iphone_trade_in_reduction.png
Before (left) and after (right) maximum iPhone trade-in values as listed by Apple​
The adjustment comes as older iPhones typically lose their value over time, with Apple likely gearing up to launch the iPhone 6 this fall. Apple started the program before the release of the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c last fall, with the company noting that it would discard of older iPhones in an environmentally conscious manner.

Since then, Apple has expanded the program to a number of countries, including the UK, France and Germany. Alternatively, Apple also offers a mail-in recycling program that allows customers to send in a device for store credit.

Article Link: Apple Cuts Maximum iPhone Trade-In Value Down to $225 in U.S. and Canada

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
No reason to EVER do this.

Sell it locally for way more money. iPhones sell quick so theres no "it's a lot of work" excuse. Probably sell it within a day for 25%+ more than this offer.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010

Sell it locally for way more money. iPhones sell quick so theres no "it's a lot of work" excuse. Probably sell it within a day for 25%+ more than this offer.

So many people that walk into the stores don't know any better. Their not geeks like you and me and they don't even know how to use a computer to sale on Craigslist or eBay. Can you really blame Apple for taking advantage of these people? Apple has no problem in charging you double to triple the amount the actual cost for a brand new device. So why complain now?

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
So many people that walk into the stores don't know any better. Their not geeks like you and me and they don't even know how to use a computer to sale on Craigslist or eBay. Can you really blame Apple for taking advantage of these people? Apple has no problem in charging you double to triple the amount the actual cost for a brand new device. So why complain now?

Can't argue with a word if that. If yiure sing

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.

Lmao came in to say exactly what cdmoore74 said. You do realize that Apple gets the MAJORITY of their money from people that DONT use Internet forums right? The average consumer feels comfortable knowing that they can trade in their iOS device and Apple and that it'll be disposed of "safely".

I don't blame Apple either. The average consumer doesn't care about getting an extra $100-$200 from selling on Sketchlist or eBay.

Just like consumers don't care that a new iPhone will be coming out in September and there will be plenty of 5s/4s/5c sales in late August and early September...

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England

Can't argue with a word of that. If you're so ignorant not to realise you're blatantly being ripped off then chances are you'll not even notice you have been.

Survival of the fattest. And Apple will certainly be enjoying getting even fatter as the mugs blissfully nod and agree as they willingly hand over their belongings to the nice Apple replicant behind the cash register.

Moral: If You Build It (The Illusion Of A Good Deal) They Will Come

Sorted!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Who even uses this? I would imagine a lot of people either hand down their device to a family member or use services like craigslist or gazelle to resell it.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

Right now on Apple's reuse and recycle site they're offering $205 for a 64GB iPhone 5 in "good" condition. I just did a search on Gazelle and they're offering $220 for a 64GB iPhone 5 in "good" condition and $230 for one in "flawless" condition. I don't see how a $15 or $25 difference is taking advantage of people, unless you believe Gazelle is doing it too? Yeah I suppose I could get more money off Craigslist or eBay but I prefer the convenience of Gazelle.

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
Completely mad. Used iPhone 5s sell for £300+ here. I just sell my old phones to my parents. They don't mind the older tech and I generally look after my stuff (or in the case of the 5, had it replaced due to defects).

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Apple can get away with charging inflated prices for new products, so why not get away with paying incredible deflated prices for their used products?

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Can't argue with a word of that. If you're so ignorant not to realise you're blatantly being ripped off then chances are you'll not even notice you have been.

Survival of the fattest. And Apple will certainly be enjoying getting even fatter as the mugs blissfully nod and agree as they willingly hand over their belongings to the nice Apple replicant behind the cash register.

Moral: If You Build It (The Illusion Of A Good Deal) They Will Come

Sorted!

With a couple of word changes, there's many people who'd also level what you've just said at the people who buy iPhones.

kdarling

macrumors P6
And what do they do with those phones? It's not like they refurbishing them or are they?

Mostly selling them as used, I think.

Apparently Apple contracts with both PowerON and BrightStar for their reuse and recycling programs.

PowerON reportedly only checks if it's in good enough condition for resale. If so, they sell it on the used market. Otherwise, the parts are recycled.

BrightStar does that, but also goes further and will "refurb" some phones, although it's not clear what that means. My guess is that it means they swap parts around to get a good one.

----------

Who even uses this? I would imagine a lot of people either hand down their device to a family member or use services like craigslist or gazelle to resell it.

According to a survey a couple of years ago:

• 31% - give it away
  • 18% - sell
  • 51% - throw in a drawer

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Apple can get away with charging inflated prices for new products, so why not get away with paying incredible deflated prices for their used products?

Apple is offering $15-$25 less than Gazelle. Gazelle is a reputable service for selling iPhones. Usell and Nextworth are offering around the same price as Apple. I just went to Glyde and it says the price for an iPhone 5 is expected to fall within the next 7 days. How is Apple offering incredible deflated prices? Sure you can get more off craigslist or eBay but I'm guessing that was always the case. Let's see what they offer for the 5S when the new iPhone is announced.

----------

According to a survey a couple of years ago:

• 31% - give it away
  • 18% - sell
  • 51% - throw in a drawer

About what I expected. I gave my iPhone 5 to my mother. She never owned a smartphone before and was able to get a somewhat decent data plan price from AT&T.

jhtrico1850

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2007
Get scammed and swindled on eBay, shot on Craigslist -_-

I bought a brand new looking iPhone 5c to save $100. IMEI was bad (no IMEI on pics).

Luckily, eBay forced a refund and return, but it wasn't worth the hassle.

I ended up spending $200 more for my 5s :)

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
It can be a hassle at times, but eBay has always gotten me the most money selling my iPhones. I just make sure to be as descriptive as possible, mention every blemish that can be seen on the phone, and tracking tracking tracking. I have a 64GB 5S with Verizon. Currently on eBay the high bid on the same phone is $541. I'll take my chances on eBay to get more than double what Apple would give me. I'm not sure if GameStop still does it, but they used to give good cash offers for iPhones.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Apple is offering $15-$25 less than Gazelle. Gazelle is a reputable service for selling iPhones. Usell and Nextworth are offering around the same price as Apple. I just went to Glyde and it says the price for an iPhone 5 is expected to fall within the next 7 days. How is Apple offering incredible deflated prices? Sure you can get more off craigslist or eBay but I'm guessing that was always the case.

You just hit on it. I wasn't talking about Gazelle, etc, but selling it the phone yourself on Craigslist or eBay. I see Gazelle and Apple as the same. They're in business of taking money from people that are easily parted from it.

Besides, buying used electronics for less than they can flip them for is Gazelle's only business model. Not so for Apple.

Plus, even if I sold my iPhone 5S to a 3rd party, company, I can get $285 for it today from iCracked. You do the math.

Last edited:

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Right now on Apple's reuse and recycle site they're offering $205 for a 64GB iPhone 5 in "good" condition. I just did a search on Gazelle and they're offering $220 for a 64GB iPhone 5 in "good" condition and $230 for one in "flawless" condition. I don't see how a $15 or $25 difference is taking advantage of people, unless you believe Gazelle is doing it too? Yeah I suppose I could get more money off Craigslist or eBay but I prefer the convenience of Gazelle.

Wow! A whopping $15 to $20 bucks after an already ridiculous rip off cost. Does it matter if it’s Gazelle or Apple? A rip-off is a rip-off. Didn’t the iPhone 5 64gig go for $850?

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Wow! A whopping $15 to $20 bucks after an already ridiculous rip off cost. Does it matter if it’s Gazelle or Apple? A rip-off is a rip-off. Didn’t the iPhone 5 64gig go for $850?

I read that a 16GB iPhone 5S costs $198.70 to produce. Of course that price does not include R&D and other costs that go into producing something. You may think the price is a rip-off, but the free market lets Apple charge that price and people line up to pay it.

joecool99

Suspended
Aug 20, 2008
USA

do you realize, lot of people don't care to sell it themselves? they don't count every $ and the convenience of walking into a store, get credit and get a new phone is incredible option to offer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.