Apple cycle truth to it or just plain rumors?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Appl3FTW, Jan 17, 2013.

?

What iPhone product cycle do you prefer?

1. Every year, 5 for 2012 and 5S for 2013

16 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Every 6 months, 5 for Fall 2012 and 5S for Summer 2013

13 vote(s)
    32.5%
  3. Every year but skip the S series, 5 for 2012 and 6 for 2013

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. i don't care i'll buy all iPhone iteration anyways

5 vote(s)
    12.5%
  5. FU apple.. Android time

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

I know it's just rumors for now until we see it, but is Apple really going thru a 6 month cycle? or they will skip the S series?

Summer 13- 5S
    Fall 13- 6
    Summer 14- 6S
    Fall 14- 7
    Summer 15- 7S
    Fall 15- 8

U get the idea. so how about the people who gets the 2 year contract. so let's say they sign up for 5S this summer 13, then their contract ends in summer 15 with 7S?

what do u guys think? vote...

i personally think 1 per year skip the S series is fine

2. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

No one knows for sure but Apple, but the market is changing and so its rational to guess that perhaps Apple's release schedule may change in response.

Personally, I think if Apple can pull it off then a twice yearly release schedule makes sense. There are new Android phones from various manufacturers released throughout the year and I frequently see reviewers compare an Android handset released two days ago with an iPhone released 10 months ago. They then write something to the effect of "see, Android is soooo much more advanced and innovative".

4. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

it's called opinions... :rolleyes:

----------

barkomatic.. it will be so hard to pull off for apple loyalists... they won't be able to get every iphone if they go with 6 month cycle.

5. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

Peering into my crystal ball . . . well, I don't see me winning that powerball lottery; nor do I see Mr. Obama doing any better job of working with Congress this term . . . and, it's foggy; I can kinda make out the apple logo . . . but nope, no date.

And guess what: not losing any sleep over it either.

6. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Fair enough.

I just don't see any point to it.

Maybe I'm just too old and cynical these days! :)

7. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Interesting the last option for Android?

Why Samsung sticks to a 1-Year refresh cycle on their two most popular phones SGIII and Note II and they do very well?

I think Apple will do what they want, I have the 5 now, but also had the SGIII and it is a very good phone, just that I am an all Apple House so it would be hard to move to another platform altogether but I must Say, Samung did a great job with the device, and Android has a good OS.

I have about a 50/50 split of friends and workers, either having iPhones or android devices, only about .5% have Crackberry's and I do not think 1-30-2013 is going to be a Rim challenge to either Apple or Google.

8. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

YUP... just take it with a grain of salt.. we're just trying to do a discussion here brah. haha.

i LULz'd

9. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

Option 3 is the dumbest option ever when you have option 2. You are waiting the same amount of time for the iphone 6 yet you don't have an iphone 5s in between. Option 1 is even dumber. You are waiting 6 months longer for the same phone

10. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

option 1 allows people to skip one iphone but maintains a form factor
    option 2 is too close apart for 2 year contracts if you're a fan and want to get latest and greatest iphone
    option 3 is the best IMO since you get to enjoy your iphone for 1 year and get a completely new series for the following year without Apple looking stupid and "stagnant" reusing the same device as S series (CURRENT CYCLE)

so no, none of them is dumb... ur opinion it as such is.

11. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

No its not cause you still could do all that with option 2. You don't have to buy the 5S, you can skip it and go for the 6.

Option 2 gives everyone just more alternatives, better products and cheaper prices.

12. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

i have a family plan which i use 1 upgrade per year.. so im lucky with the current setup. for a single plan holder, they won't be as lucky being stuck with 2 year cycle ANDDDD having 6 month cycles.

what makes you think apple will sell it for significanly cheaper if they release it faster?

13. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

Their history. The iphone5 = $200, iphone 4s = $100, iphone 4 = $0. So if they are releasing the iphone 6 and iphone 5s in one year then you are basically getting the iphone 5s for $100 instead of $200.

Seriously look at this timeline

now----------------------------------------------1 year later
    iphone5------------------------------------------iphone7
    iphone5---iphone 5s---iphone 6---iphone6s---iphone7

assuming that both iphone 7's are identical. Number 2 is ALWAYS the best option #1. no matter what.

14. kage207 macrumors 6502a

I don't care about Apple's cycle. I buy every 24 months. Sorry, I think spending that much money or worrying that much about a new phone every year is silly to me. Though that's just me.

Also, we will only see one new iPhone this year, the 5S. I'm not saying if they will make a new model or not (to impact a lower market). I see them learning about the resale market of iPhones and their older technology, that is if they do this. Also they would have to maintain their standards of margin and quality.

15. dinggus macrumors 65816

I was updating every year but figured it was pointless. My wife is on the number cycle and I'm on the S cycle.

16. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I update based on whether the new item has something good for me, not just becuase it's the newest thing.

So if Apple goes to 6 month cycles, Ill do the same thing I've always done: see if the new device has something I really want. If not, I'll wait till the next one.

17. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

18. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

19. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Don't be fooled. Apple putting out an Iphone every 6 months means that thry will be holding back on some of the features each time and wait for the next iPhone.
    Best situation would be new hardware every 6 months as well as software features.

20. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

damn you apple for making better stuff when you have the ability to!

*shakes fist*

:rolleyes:

21. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

bear in mind that if one release is blockbuster.. then the following releases in a shorter amount of time would be less of a hit cuz everyone wouldn't be able to purchase them cuz of the 2 year contract

example: if i bought the 5 and signed up for the 2 year contract. let's say 6 month cycles, there's NO way i can purchase 5S, 6, and 6S while im in the contract.

22. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

23. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 601

Appl3FTW