Apple Daily Review's newest thoughts.... iChat on iPhone 2.3 firmware

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Luke1robb, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

http://dailyapplereview.net84.net/?p=246

I think there is some valitity behind this, but I actually think Apple might be waiting to release Push notifications until they finish the iChat app. That way they can gain confidence in their products and iChat. I think this could happen as well as ADR's other thoughts on background colors, doesn't seem that hard and could be done and people would want it, makes each iPhone unique in its own way.

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

ZOMG!!!!! lol, that'd be awesome though. I would like a iChat on the iPhone.

3. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

iChat on the iPhone I have to admit would be pretty sweet.
    Hopefully one day it will come to us. :D

4. spazattack674 macrumors regular

iChat would be great. But, I don't know how realistic it is, considering how much Apple talked about the AIM app when the app store was first released.

5. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

Interesting....

This would coincide with "push" for apps. I would think this may be exactly what it is, speculation. While iChat on iPhone would be nice, it wouldn't be able to support video. Also, I would suspect that if Apple decides to add a major feature like mobile IMing (that would obviously kill SMS) they would need ATT's approval. And anything involving Video iChat would require new hardware; thus, a new iphone.

6. Xtgirl macrumors regular

Would it really require new hardware? Since there is a video app for jailbroken phones...couldn't it be done with existing hardware?

Video chat would be awesome...but just ichat with push would be great too...

7. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

What good would video chat be without the front facing camera?

8. Luke1robb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

My thought is that it would be iChat without video chat, that would come with the next iphone in May-July 2009. This would get iChat started and get marketshare over AIM, why does Apple care about AIM's feelings marketshare on the iPhone?

9. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Wow, I'm so glad that they have finally included the background color changing feature!... I mean seriously. We don't have push yet, and the idea that they have spent a minute on making the background behind icon's color change. Whoopdie friggin' do. This is a move that does not make me too happy. (if it's true that is... :))

I love the idea of iChat, one of my favorite applications, and would be great to introduce Push with in the 2.3 update.

Sorry, if you don't agree, but I think Apple should take higher priority to implementing the promised Push. Something else that should come before a color change could be a vid cam app, MMS etc. The idea of iChat is great, especially if it includes Push, but the color change background is a COMPLETE waste of time - wouldn't mind it along with a major update such as Push, but with just iChat = dumb...

10. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

The only way iChat on the iPhone would kill SMS is if every single person had an iPhone. If I want to send anyone other than my wife a message (on their phone), I will have to do it via SMS because I don't know anyone else with an iPhone. I would suspect most other people would be in a similar situation.

11. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

Thanks.

Thanks for making my point. The whole flipping the camera over so I can be seen would be retarded. However, being able to see where my friends are would be entertaining.

On further consideration, two things come to mind: Battery Hog, Data Hog.

12. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

SMS and IM coexist happily on many other phones, like BlackBerries. Besides, IM and SMS are two different protocols that have different uses and pros/cons.

13. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Agree, we already have AIM, why are people still SMS'ing on the iPhone? Because SMS is sent to a phone, not just iPhone's or people online their computer iChat or AIM. iChat would simply compete with AIM and likely be better, work nicer and hopefully support Push in 2.3.

14. Luke1robb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

I swear I saw a video the other day of a cell phone that's coming out soon with video chat... can anyone help me with a link or name or anything? I am 100% certain the next iphone will have video conferencing ichat capability.

15. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

True....but...

Point taken. I still think the addition of an official IM would still have to be run by ATT.

16. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I don't get it. Was that posting at daily review written by a 3-year-old? Do they have any proof other than the daily "I think..." that we do here?

17. Luke1robb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

Need I remind everyone that Apple applied for a patent for iChat-like functions and features in an app:

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/04/22/apple-files-patent-for-iphone-im/

18. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I saw an ad for the LG INCITE and I think it's what you are talking about.
    Features:
    Live Video Capture and Playback
    3 Megapixel Camera
    ...and on AT&T
    http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-details/?device=LG+INCITE&q_sku=sku3140220

If this is popular, no doubt Apple will compete.

19. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I say we see iChat in the next iPhone with a front facing camera and push notifications.

20. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

Apple also applied for a patent for sliding your macbook INTO the LCD display, and that hasn't happened. Patents are great indicators of things Apple wants to prevent others from using, not necessarily what Apple plans on using.

21. Luke1robb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

22. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

ATT website says "live streaming video". That would indicate a yes. So it is possible Apple's next iPhone could have a foward facing camera. But they will definately need to do something about battery life.

23. Luke1robb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

I don't think we'll have a front facing camera, rather the video capturing technology discussed in an Apple patent last year. The pixels of the screen capture the image. Then again, it would be less expensive and easier to put a front facing camera on it. I take it back haha

24. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

25. Luke1robb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

True, Apple hasn't done that yet, but think about it, they are getting alot closer. Notice that in the new unibody laptops, they both have all the ports on the left side, and the optical on the right, making it easy to slide in and use it in the screen. Then again, look at the new cinema 24" screen, it basically does what that patent said, but doesn't put the laptop in the display. Cost efficiency took over for now, but I think we'll see it in the future. Other problem with it is the fact that a 13" and 15", and 17" laptop have different heights and widths. My solution and most likely Apple's...... make adapters like they did with ipod chargers. Slide in your adapter and now the slot only fits a 13" unibody macbook. I don't know about the MBA though, that seems hard to make an adapter for.