Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside new iPhones, Apple Watch models, and an updated iPad, Apple today released a new $29 AppleCare+ plan that's designed specifically for headphones like AirPods and Beats devices.

AppleCare+ extends the warranty of AirPods, Beats earphones, and Beats headphones to two years from the date of purchase (up from one year) and includes two incidents of accidental damage coverage for a $29 service fee.

applecareheadphones-800x440.jpg

The AppleCare+ plan for headphones can be bought when purchasing new AirPods or Beats or within 60 days of the purchase. Buying AppleCare+ after the initial purchase will require a visit to an Apple Store or by calling a specific support number and running a remote diagnostic.

AppleCare+ is available for the following devices:

[*]AirPods
[*]Beats EP
[*]Beats Pro
[*]Beats Solo3 Wireless
[*]Beats Studio3 Wireless
[*]BeatsX
[*]Powerbeats Pro
[*]Powerbeats3 Wireless

The plan covers the headphones, the battery, and the included USB charging cable along with the aforementioned two incidents of accidental damage. Software support is also included, and Apple's support staff will be able to answer any questions that Beats and AirPods owners have.

Article Link: Apple Debuts New $29 AppleCare+ Plan for AirPods and Beats

martyjmclean

Cancelled
Jan 24, 2018
I've had my launch AirPods replaced three times for free. Apple hands out replacements as soon as you say "one of them is too quiet" or "doesn't connect properly", and the warranty resets so I don't really see a need for this.

Last edited:

dz5b609

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2019
Ahh, a way to grow the Services revenue so then can inflate statistics later on in the year. They’ll sell a bunch of these at that $29 price.

Inflate how exactly? Profit is profit, hardware has a longer lifespan so you need to diversify your portfolio. Services profit is even more desirable than hardware profit is because of the continuity factor. Why do you think Apple is starting all these services?

Reactions: Solomani

Spizike9

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2011
Dang, I got my power beats pro for Father’s Day so I’m outside the 60 day window. Otherwise I definitely would have added this to my headphones.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Not entirely sure why all the negativity around this?

The negativity comes from people who have no understanding of business. Apple is a business. Sure, sometimes Apple (wrongly) gives the impression that it's a charitable social justice organization. But in the end, it's a business. It's there to make a profit in order to survive and continue to exist.

The problem above is with the people thinking that Apple is forcing them to pay for a $29 extended warranty (AppleCare). They don't understand that it's just an option, usually taken by Apple customers with expendable income (e.g. the Kardashians and all the millionaire celebrities and Twitter influencers that use Apple products).

Geurt

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2014
I’ll wait for the AppleCare+ for AppleCare.
I heard a "Pro" offering is on its way ;)

Good to have this Apple Care stuff, with modern technology bad luck is around the corner. On the other hand it will hurt much less when your AirPods cease after the warranty period, consuming makes the world go round... we should repair more stuff, good riddance.

Reactions: rjp1

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Not sure, either. It’s not like Apple’s forcing anyone to buy it. I think it’s a good thing to have this available for those who want it.

The negativity comes from people who have no understanding of business. Apple is a business. Sure, sometimes Apple (wrongly) gives the impression that it's a charitable social justice organization. But in the end, it's a business. It's there to make a profit in order to survive and continue to exist.

The problem above is with the people thinking that Apple is forcing them to pay for a $29 extended warranty (AppleCare). They don't understand that it's just an option, usually taken by Apple customers with expendable income (e.g. the Kardashians and all the millionaire celebrities and Twitter influencers that use Apple products).

I get AppleCare+ on all my devices, and would have taken this out on my AirPods 1.5 had it been available. My wife and I both have Powerbeats Pro so may get it for those.

AC+ has allowed my to replace my iPP 10.5 3 times for screen bright spot issues, iPhones for faults with home button, and AW with mic and display issues. All with a quick chat and Express Replacement, zero hassle.
[doublepost=1568196350][/doublepost]
Nice we get 2 years as standard in Europe.

If the plan exists here, does it extend it to 3 years?

Is that in Europe, or in the European Union..........?

SidricTheViking

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2014
Nice we get 2 years as standard in Europe.

If the plan exists here, does it extend it to 3 years?
Which part of Europe offers 2 years as standard. In Ireland and the UK (and several other countries) iPhones, iPads, Macs etc. all come with a 12-month limited warranty. That’s it. There is Consumer Law, which is a whole different thing and varies from country to country across Europe. In some places the responsibility falls on the seller, in others it falls on the manufacturer.

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
60 days!? I bought the powerbeats pro right when they came out.
If you contact support now, and I mean now, they may make an exception for you. I’ve activated AppleCare+ like a week outside the activation window, but I also had a genuine reason for doing so (we weren’t aware that the device had been activated before we purchased it at a carrier store, thereby shifting the deadline earlier than we thought it would be).

boccabella

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2010
These warranty schemes should be outlawed. If they were in the best interest of the consumer Apple and others WOULD NOT BE OFFERING THEM.

Macwick

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2008
Key question: does accidental damage include losing one or both AirPods?

If so, it's well worth the $29.

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
I get AppleCare+ on all my devices, and would have taken this out on my AirPods 1.5 had it been available. My wife and I both have Powerbeats Pro so may get it for those.

AC+ has allowed my to replace my iPP 10.5 3 times for screen bright spot issues, iPhones for faults with home button, and AW with mic and display issues. All with a quick chat and Express Replacement, zero hassle.
[doublepost=1568196350][/doublepost]

Is that in Europe, or in the European Union..........?

That would be the EU.

Old but still very valid today

https://www.theverge.com/2012/4/2/2919756/apple-eu-statutory-warranty-two-years
[doublepost=1568226881][/doublepost]
Which part of Europe offers 2 years as standard. In Ireland and the UK (and several other countries) iPhones, iPads, Macs etc. all come with a 12-month limited warranty. That’s it. There is Consumer Law, which is a whole different thing and varies from country to country across Europe. In some places the responsibility falls on the seller, in others it falls on the manufacturer.

You need to read up on your EU consumer rights and law!

https://www.theverge.com/2012/4/2/2919756/apple-eu-statutory-warranty-two-years

Reactions: martyjmclean
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.