Apple defies US but takes a different approach in China

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, Feb 22, 2016.

1. thermodynamic, Feb 22, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2016

thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

http://qz.com/618371/apple-is-openl...-in-china-it-takes-a-very-different-approach/

Color the West confused. Is Cook, showrunner of Apple, a terrorist supporter, communist, or happily chooses to be both? It's his company he's running. He gets the pay and the responsibility. Is he really into human rights, since we all know terrorists and China have far better records on those things?? If you think he's doing all this to protect customers or society in general, nobody has yet said anything that properly corroborates that theory. (And maybe I'm wrong, in which case I'll readily admit my errs. I'm humble, believe it or not.)

But if it makes you feel better, anti-piracy advocate Microsoft has been two-faced as well:

http://archive.fortune.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2007/07/23/100134488/index.htm
    (and read up elsewhere how it offshored the product activation system coding to India, whose piracy rate is almost 4x worse than America's and only China's piracy problem is worse...)

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Your article doesn't say anything about them creating a backdoor for China. Apple is being consistent, they are protecting privacy as much as they can, but they still want to make money. If the US was to require them to put in a backdoor to continue selling iPhones I'm sure they would.

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

I've been thinking about this one quite a bit due to recent events and personally think that if that was the case, Apple and other manufacturers would call their bluff and threaten to stop selling in the US, as extreme as that would be.

Only time will tell though, just hypotheticals at the moment. One thing I'm sure we can agree on -- hopefully we won't find ourselves in a situation where either action would need to be taken.

4. sim667 macrumors 65816

What?!

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

The most they would do is challenge it in court until the courts tell them to, at which point they would comply. They won't give up that much profit.

6. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

If it came to that, I hope Cook has the foresight and the fruits to refuse. Who knows, though — hopefully we'll never have to find out.

7. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Misleading post. The article itself states "the company has never worked with any government to create a backdoor to its products."

The "security check" is explained elsewhere. Periodically China gov gets to look at the iOS source code in order to ensure that there are no backdoors included, perhaps by Apple, the NSA, or some other party. Granted, it is possible that China could find vulnerabilities to take advantage of. And it is also possible that the same thing happens in the US and we don't know because of a security letter.

But, to the main point, Apple is not creating a backdoor for the US, and not creating a backdoor for China.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Given how the US has responded to this its not exactly paranoia on the part of any government to check...

9. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Yet... This is far from over.

Apple's long history of hypocrisy assures they have left themselves a back door. :eek:

10. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

11. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

It's funny watching all these threads popping up about this subject. I would wager 80% of the posters who support Apple and are citing "Freedom" and "Civil Liberties" are the same people who have no issue ******** on the other parts of the constitution, primarily the 2nd amendment.