Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In today's fourth OS X 10.10.4 beta, Apple made a significant behind-the-scenes change that could result in improved networking performance for some users -- the removal of the "discoveryd" process. As noted by MacRumors forum members and 9to5Mac, in OS X 10.10.4 beta 4, the discoveryd process has been replaced by mDNSresponder.

Since OS X Yosemite debuted in October, there have been ongoing complaints about discoveryd consuming CPU resources, draining battery life, and causing issues with Wi-Fi. These problems have lingered for several months, even after multiple bug fixes and performance improvements included in OS X 10.10.1, 10.10.2, and 10.10.3.

discoverydmdnsresponder.jpg
Discoveryd was introduced with OS X Yosemite, replacing mDNSResponder for managing Mac networking tasks, but it's led to a host of problems like those listed above along with issues like slow wake from sleep, failures to resolve DNS names, duplicate machine names, and more, as detailed in a post earlier this year by Ars Technica. Several developers have also complained about discoveryd in Yosemite, including Instapaper's Marco Arment and Iconfactory's Craig Hockenberry.
It's no secret in the tech community that discoveryd is the root cause of so many problems. There are even crazy workarounds. With so many issues, you'd expect some information from Apple explaining ways to mitigate the problems.
The removal of the unstable discoveryd process in OS X 10.10.4 beta 4 may improve network stability problems for many users who have been experiencing continual issues. With the removal of discoveryd, Apple has reverted back to using the earlier mDNSresponder process that was used before discoveryd was implemented with OS X Yosemite.

Article Link: Apple Replaces Problematic 'Discoveryd' Process With mDNSresponder in 10.10.4 Beta 4

Alisamix

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2013
Back to the roots.
Happy to see Apple scrapping discoveryd and rehauling the whole thing.

GLS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2010
YES.

Although I must state, configuring IPV6 to Local-Link only on all our our Macs made things a lot better.

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
Plot Twist: They renamed discoveryd to mDNSresponder to see if there's placebo effect :eek:

Mebsat

macrumors regular
May 19, 2003
Florida
mDNSresponder is dead, long live mDNSresponder

Is it the last version from Mavericks or a newer one?
Could it just be a stopgap so they can focus on non-discoveryd bug reports?:)

Last edited:

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Back to the roots.
Happy to see Apple scrapping discoveryd and rehauling the whole thing.

I'm curious why they scrapped mDNSresponder to begin with. They must have had a good reason for creating a new network managing system. Obviously, that didn't work out. But Apple rarely backpedals for long. This is probably a temporary fix until they figure out the problem.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
Awesome! Truth be told I very rarely had Wi-Fi problems but my 13" MBP has had its processor maxed out by Discoveryd in the past. Glad to see its gone!

I installed the beta this morning but haven't really been able to try it out.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
I haven't updated my OS since the last 10.6 came out, because there are no compelling new features they've added, but there have been compelling new bugs to be avoided.

Reactions: Avenged110

ButteryScrollin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2014
I haven't updated my OS since the last 10.6 came out, because there are no compelling new features they've added, but there have been compelling new bugs to be avoided.

Not having an OS riddled with security vulnerabilities would be a compelling feature to me.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I don't know much about mDNSresponder, other than that if you have bad DNS information cached, killing it (and letting it restart automatically) fixes the problem.

blucurv

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2009
Tried it in our office and it works great now. Previously, I had to reconnect every time I closed the rMB lid and opened it somewhere else in the office. It's far more stable now.

quiksand

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2015
What's crazy is that while I never had issues with the process on my Mac, the Discoveryd process would peg the CPU out on my iPhone. I wound up having to turn off continuity on my iPhone in order to get that process under control.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I wonder what took them so long and why they couldn’t get discoveryd to work in the first place. Are the services so radically different that Apple couldn’t reuse some of the source code of mDNSresponder?

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Cool, just installed on my 2012 21.5" iMac. On that system often when waking up from sleep it would take a couple of minutes for WiFi to start responding and sometimes even then I would have to manually toggle it on/off or even restart for it to work. In some quick informal testing of manually putting it to sleep and waking up WiFi comes back and responds instantaneously. Will have to see how it does over the next few days...

[EDIT]Yep, sure seems to have solved my problems. WiFi connects and is pretty much immediately available after waking from sleep now! [/EDIT]

Last edited:

steveOooo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
UK
Hopefully 10.11 will work with 'wifi'

Not touching yose***** again, staying firmly on mountain lions furry back

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.