Apple Display Revision in March?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Spymac reports that Apple's 22" Cinema Display will be discontinued by March along with 23" updates.

Apple Display Rumors have persisted for some time now... with early predictions reporting that a 19" would find its place in the mid-range.

Big hints at 20.1" Apple Displays came today as well. The March time-frame for changes (if true) would likely bring a revision across the entire line.

Macette

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2002
Melbourne
The December edition of Computer Arts has a calender in it called 'Coming Soon'...

One predicition was new powerbooks at MacWorld (the only other place I saw that particular rumor was HERE!) and also "14th February: New Apple 19-inch widescreen LCD in shops soon".

Where do they get their info? It's not a calendar of rumors - it's a calendar of stuff that's coming up.

Also "24th Feb New IBM PowerPC chips soon to be rolling off the production line". I know we've had different info here, but thought I'd pass it on...

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by Macette
The December edition of Computer Arts has a calender in it called 'Coming Soon'...

One predicition was new powerbooks at MacWorld (the only other place I saw that particular rumor was HERE!) and also "14th February: New Apple 19-inch widescreen LCD in shops soon".

Where do they get their info? It's not a calendar of rumors - it's a calendar of stuff that's coming up.

Also "24th Feb New IBM PowerPC chips soon to be rolling off the production line". I know we've had different info here, but thought I'd pass it on...
Hmm... seems strange... is this just a newsletter?

arn

Macette

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2002
Melbourne
no... it's a major magazine i think - it's a computer graphic design magazine (http://www.computerarts.co.uk/) - i can't find that info on their site, but it's on page 18 of the december issue.

so it would seem to me that they have some kind of information... even it's wrong information. :)

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
no... it's a major magazine i think - it's a computer graphic design magazine (http://www.computerarts.co.uk/) - i can't find that info on their site, but it's on page 18 of the december issue.

so it would seem to me that they have some kind of information... even it's wrong information. :)
interesting... it's surprising they are so specific. I guess we'll pay attention on Feb 14th. :)

arn

dancarr

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2003
there
computer arts issues #81 on 24 feb.

i think that what it means is that on the 24th of february, issue #81 of computer arts will be available. i checked my issues. it reads like this.

computer arts december 02' said:
February 20002
milia 2003-new technology conference, cannes, france, 4-6 feb isn't it about time we saw illustrator 11 and InDesign 2.5"
Computer Arts Special 42 on sale 12 Feb
Daredevil, Marvel-inspired comic book mayhem, starring Ben Affleck, hits the US screens 14 February (UK dates TBC)
GDDR3, the new 800mhz graphics memory standard should be in production by now
New Apple 19-inch widescreen LCD in shops soon
Computer Arts 81 on sale 24 Feb
New IBM PowerPC chips soon to be rolling off the productions line. How about some new 64-bit Macs to follow? Well, it doesn't hurt to ask....
its kinda confusing, but they list item, then the date, and there's no special punctuation or anyting to designate what's what. however, from reading it, i think it means that the issue of computer arts will be available on the 24th, and then sometime (not necessarily in feb) after that, PowerPC 970s are coming out.

they did a poor job of formatting this timeline. from a design magazine even. hah!

dan.

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
Seems quite interesting that they mention a 19'', specially with the discovery of the 20.1'' information that was found yesterday. I found interesting that spymac mentions updates to the 23'' , will they increase resolution and brightness? I'm hoping that Apple delivers the new displays as soon as possible and that they have them available right away, instead of putting people waiting 2 months like they did with the iMac last year and now with the new Powerbook 17''.

Im waiting here for a new Display... Come on Apple, deliver the goods and lower the prices please, specially in Europe, because they are trully expensive here! Formac as low prices here (compared to the US, we only pay €100 more without VAT for the Gallery 20.1'') and they let me try their monitor for one week! If i dont like it i can return it without any questions asked! As the days pass I feel more and more tempted to go with Formac... I always read great reviews about their monitors and all the owners of the 20.1'' in this forums recommend buying one...

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Ideas for future Apple displays

If these rumours are true then I hope Apple's displays will incorporate the mechanism holding the iMac screens. One of the things I do not like about the current display line up is that they cannot be tilted down. A built-in FireWire hub would also be appreciated but I doubt the current ADC connectors would be able to handle that much juice.

chadmacd

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
Re: Ideas for future Apple displays

I'd like to see S-video in myself.
Apple should make an external device that allows for TV connections, S video etc to be plugged in, then adc out to the monitor.
Charge $100 for it, and include it free with the 23"

Chad

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
FireWire in displays

Now that is what I am talking about! S-Video would need some kind of analogue to digital converter and if it is built into the new displays it would also make iMovie accesible to anyone with a VCR and some old tapes.

Anecdoter

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2002
S-video Connectors

Really it is about time that our Digital Hubs had a little more connectivity with non-computer hardware. S-video would be nice, for the reasons listed in other posts in this thread. How about an RCA and/or Optical out so we can get all those songs trapped on our cassette tapes and vinyl records to our Ipod? An optical out would be nice so we can hook up our Mac to a Minidisc or DAT recorder.
Personally - and I have suggested this to Apple (though it probably didn't make it past the new workers stuck reading the company's e-mail) - I think they should put the ATI All-in-Wonder 9700 Pro standard in all Power Macs. There's your S-video in and the extra video-processing hardware would work great with iMovie and iDVD, not to mention Final Cut Pro.

The real issue...

Make the displays whatever size, the biggest problem with the lcd monitors has been their lack of tight resolution. 15" lcd monitors have almost as much real estate as 17" CRT's, yet they are stuck at 1024 x 768 whereas they should be running 1280 x 1024. Apple's 17" lcd runs at this resolution, but should be at 1600 x 1200. The 23" HD is the only lcd that competes with the tightness of CRT's...

Compufix

macrumors regular
May 7, 2002
PA
All I can tell you is that I JUST received my 19" Dell Flat Panel UltraSharp.

I would love to use the Apple Branded Flat Panel instead...but what makes this so nice.....2 inputs, VGA and DVI. I use the VGA for my KVM between my G4 tower and my Dell laptop and Dock.

I use the DVI to attatch TiBook.....

totally awesome. I agree that a monitor with a built in S-Video and Audio inputs to Firewire converter would be nice....or a Firewire hub would be nice..and I really wish Apple would get away from the ADC connector. It is great if you are using just Apple equipment....and yes I know there is a VGA port on most cards as well which is what I am using now...but a lack of ADC KVM choices, or ADC even available on Wintel counterparts makes ADC totally unusable in a cross-platform environment.

So Far VGA has worked great for me in my situation....and this Flat Panel makes a great repacement for my old 19" ColorSync monitor that took up half my desk :cool:.....

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
They haven't updated the displays in how long? They just added the 23" and all of a sudden the 23" and ONLY the 23" gets an update? Why? Huh? Don't understand why only the 23" gets an update when they still have the 17" (dopping the 22" I guess)

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
Originally posted by Kid Red
They haven't updated the displays in how long? They just added the 23" and all of a sudden the 23" and ONLY the 23" gets an update? Why? Huh? Don't understand why only the 23" gets an update when they still have the 17" (dopping the 22" I guess)
Why the hell are you saying that??? Only the 23''?? I dont understand what you mean!

dapperlad

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2003
NYC
LCD: the only option?

Regarding displays: Is there any reason why a plasma display would make a bad computer display? Could we ever see, say, a 30-inch widescreen plasma display?

Rocketman

macrumors 603

Imagine if you will, a GANT chart with the various dates relevent to a particular product.

Inception date, finalization date, finalized version seed program, trusted vendor interface, publication schedules for linked products or general product introductions.

Imagine all the people involved with NDA's. Dozens. All it takes is one guy with a magazine schedule longer than most to start the rumour mill with an ad reservation or an editorial article to start a persistent leak.

What is particularly amazing about the Powerbook release is the notable LACK of rumour about it.

The monitor may have less security than a CPU release as well.

Rocketman

I was RIGHT about a "Theater Powerbook with RAID everywhere".

sprescott1974

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2002
Originally posted by Arcady
If you want VGA and s-video ports, go get an old 15" Studio Display. Those ports were standard.

:D
which 15" Studio Display would that be? i don't see it on the CRT or the Flat Panel?

nicmac

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2003
NY
Mounting Options

If Apple wants to keep the easel stand set up they should at least give us the flexibility to mount to articulating arms.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.