"Apple doesn't build the quality products it used to" - Survey

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KeanosMagicHat, Jul 11, 2013.

1. KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

As a UK iPhone buyer, having owned the iPhone 3G, 3GS and 4S, I was very disappointed with the early and continuing reports of poor build quality of the iPhone 5.

Although people have mentioned several different problems, the one that annoyed me most was the poor anodisation on the black model causing it to chip / scuff / scratch (whatever you want to call it) around the antenna bezel.

I personally believe this reflected Apple taking a complacent approach to their market position and sacrificing build quality for extra profit, whilst releasing online movies and TV adverts telling us all how exquisitly designed it still was.

My 4S contract ended a couple of months ago, so I'm primed and ready to make another purchase, I just hope that the 5S makes the quality improvements necessary to deliver the kind of premium product most of us have come to expect from Apple.

UK buyers at least are not optimistic. Survey below;

Online Source Link

Of course the iPhone 5S will still sell in big numbers, but even more so if the perceived quality drops on the 5 are rectified.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

People love to bitch, moan and complain more than just about anything else

I have an iPhone 5 and experience none of the so-called lack of quality problems

For every person on a Forum who feels the need to call Apple out over this or that, there are hundreds or thousands of users like me who are not experiencing the reported issues others are having

3. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Own a 2012 macbook pro. I can tell you I've had several problems with it that I noticed my friends that have previous generation macbook pros never had. So I can believe that the quality is going on a downward turn. That being said, I don't believe the issues are bad enough that it would affect sales significantly. Apple has always managed to surprise me in the past by being able to sell their products at exorbitant prices and amidst criticism and trust me I really don't think that's gonna change anytime soon.

4. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

With iPhones, I think I would agree. With the amount of iPhones they sell, there are bound to be quality issues. If anyone can get that sorted out, it's Apple.

For Macbooks, tablets, etc, they're unmatched. Nothing comes close.

5. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

2,007 Adults!!!!

Apple will never recover from this.

6. KeanosMagicHat thread starter macrumors 65816

If you look at modern marketing / advertising you will see that many claims about a product are presented as "fact" with far less respondents.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Which only serves to underscore the absurdity of such marketing and statistics
    They don't reflect the real world, they attempt to shape and mold opinions based on an agenda

8. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Apples poor quality ?

Should I now run to the other manufacture product instead ?

Oh, wait, what about their quality ?

No thank you.... :D

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

There are 2 iPhone 5 in my family and they are great. My wife's iPhone had a problem with the speaker, but Apple fixed it in about an hour.

10. darster Suspended

I guess people forgot how badly the back of iPhone 3G scratched easily. Makes the iphone 5 look like pure perfection.

11. rockitdog Suspended

Anytime something gets thinner it loses strength. The iPhone 4 & 4S may have had glass front and back but they sure has heck were sturdy and didn't feel flimsy like the iPhone 5 does. It feels like you could bend it just holding it with bare hands.

12. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Calling the iPhone 5 flimsy is pushing it IMO

13. gadgetrx.net macrumors newbie

coming from a repair shop i have seen a lot of iphones 5's in for random repairs (power button, back camera, etc.) that we were not seeing with the 4 and 4s for well over a year after release.

14. Civil Engineer macrumors newbie

Are you kidding me?

You must be one hunkin dude if you can bend it with your bare hands...and by the way, that is not how i typically use my iPhone.

As to the scratches vs. the glass back, i can live with a scratch a lot easier than a shattered back glass, which was all too common IMHO. BTW, do you say your Mercedes is getting cheaper because the paint gets scratched?

15. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

This is why most don't voice their concerns because of backlash such as this. People will praise Apple all day long, but soon as something bad comes on they're everything, but their name because they have issues and someone else doesn't.

16. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It cuts both ways

17. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

That's not the same.

18. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

Heres a tip...... get the white iphone5 if you are that concerned with chips on the black one.

Haven't had a single problem with my iphone5

19. dotme macrumors 6502a

I have the 5 from launch day - no issues with it, but it really doesn't feel as sturdy as my 4S. I like the larger screen on the 5 just fine, but the 4/4S models felt much more solid/robust to me and I kinda miss that with my 5.

20. darster Suspended

If you say so :rolleyes:

21. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Doesn't surprise me when the "company" running this "survey" advertises the iPhones 4 main competitors in a massive banner on its homepage.

22. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I could be extremely unlucky, but based on my last few years of purchases, many have gone wrong:

3x MacBook Pro - one dead SuperDrive, one dead MagSafe adapter
    iMac - one dead Superdrive, then screen issues
    Apple TV - WiFi issues, replaced
    Thunderbolt Display - extreme issues with it not working, eventually replaced
    iPhone 5 - lock button stopped working
    iPhone 4 - home button stopped working

Only non-problematic products were iPads and iPods.

Again, I could just be unlucky, but that's a lot of faulty goods.

23. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Another black iPhone 5 since launch day with zero chips or scratches. Is it apples build quality or the way people look after them.
    By the way never had a build quality issue on anything in my signature (except the Xbox!)

24. Knockoutjosie macrumors 6502

Knockoutjosie

The study, conducted by www.mobilephonechecker.co.uk, polled 2,007 adults aged 18 and over from across the UK in a bid to determine attitudes towards the forthcoming release of the new handset.

2007 people were in this poll while there are millions using apple products. It's not enough

25. GusHerb macrumors member

I would have to agree that the iPhone 5's design is not as durable as the 4/4S, but IMO it's also not as bad as the general public makes it out to be.

My first 5 (that I returned after 5 days) was fine, of course I couldn't stand the bugs long enough to find out whether the hardware would soon fail or not. My mom has had one since launch day and is on replacement number 3, all due to quality issues. (bad RF, faulty digitizer, and blown earpiece speaker).

I just recently switched back to an iPhone 5 and within a week discovered a dead pixel, Apple replaced the screen for me. Now I noticed the power button isn't as firm as it's supposed to be (and leans back a little), we'll see how long before that fails...

I don't think it's bad luck as much as it's overproduction.