Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Hi all,

I recently bought a eMac refurb from Apple, and upgraded the CD-ROM to a DVD burner. The DVD burner is a Sony known to be compatible with Macs.

How do I install the Apple DVD player software? I tried restoring the Apple applications, thinking that Apple DVD player wasn't installed the first time because the installer recognized that there was only a CD-ROM installed. 30 minutes later, no DVD player software!

I tried downloading version 4.0 from VersionTracker, and ended up getting version 3.x. When I try to run the application, it bounces on the dock and then disappears- I assume it's just not compatible with Panther or something.

I know the drive works, as disks get mounted and VLC Player plays DVD's (but very glitchy).

Can anyone give me any pointers? If there was some sort of freeware/shareware alternative DVD player that would suffice. But it sort of bugs me that I can't get the regular Apple software installed and running.

Thanks, Steve

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Failing that VLC is the best freeware alternative, the interface isn't the best but it can play a whole host of formats. Even if you do install DVD Player I would still recommend downloading VLC.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Awesome- thanks for the tip about Pacifist!

With VLC I got the menu to show, but playback didn't work. This was only with 1 DVD though, so I will try with others (it was already late at night after trying to install ALL the Apple software from 5 or 6 CD's!)

I definitely like VLC Player for Divx, etc. The interface is sparse, but that's the way I like it for a video player.

Thanks all,
Steve

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.