Apple employee calls customer the F word

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Hieveryone, Aug 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

2. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

The title of the thread should probably read, "Former Apple employee..."

3. edk99 macrumors 6502a

99.99% of the time I've seen something like this before it is the customer that write that on the receipt.

But it looks like in this case since it was not hand written it could be legit. I would imagine the employee got fired.

4. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

This.

I had 3 customers over a period of 3 years, come back into the store, ask for a manager and produce a receipt with something belligerent on it. Not in my handwriting.

Usually a reaction to the solution I offered them after a genius bar appointment. One that they weren't happy with.

5. FreemanW macrumors 6502

I do not understand what significance this thread possesses.

There are over seven billion people on this orb.

Mathematical statistics dictate there are going to be "outliers" in all aspects of society. Killers and molesters serving on police departments-and clergy, and innocents in prisons.

A bigot or a racist providing hostile customer service in a retail establishment is just another day in the life of homo sapiens on planet earth.

*yawn*

6. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

So far the employee is still employed. Which means the whole episode may seem fishy to the manager. Last few times I've gone into an Apple Store they had me type in my contact info so they could email my receipt.

7. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Same here. I just had to have my LCD panel replaced on my 2011 iMac, and the Genius handed me his iPad and showed me the contact info for me in the system and had me verify it.

8. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

You know what, now that you mention it, I've typed in my email, as well at the Apple Store.

9. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Are people stupid enough to do this? And then are then stupid enough to do it at work?

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

You're assuming that he maliciously did this.

It sounds to me like he was trained to do this. The last time I went to the Apple Store and bought something, if wanting the receipt, they always ask for the email address, and it always comes up on both the printed and emailed receipt. Employees there also confirm with the customer if the email address is valid. In this case, the customer had to confirm that this was accurate.

Sounds to me like some baiting was involved, and took it to the media.

BL.

11. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

I worked the Genius Bar back in 2002 (before there were appointments, people just walked up to the bar and demanded immediate service!), and I had lady say she wished that an airplane would destroy the store (less than a year after 9/11) because I wouldn't warranty repair her cracked laptop screen.

Also insane people protesting outside the store saying we had screwed them out of their warranty and all sorts of other assorted loons. And a guy who tried to walk out with a floor model (while leaving his machine in its place) because his was "too loud" (fans).

12. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

I seriously feel bad for some of the Genius Bar staff.

That Apple logo...it brings them out...

13. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

14. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

All things considered, it was pretty fun for a 22-year old (although not the best use of my freshly-minted CompSci BS). Back then it was HARD to get a job as a "Mac Genius"; it was a damn exclusive club. I made it through 4 interviews to get the job and beat out at least 150 other people.

They send you to the Apple campus in Cupertino for 2 full weeks of training, all expenses paid, of course. Ate at Cafe Macs every day, it was awesome.

I actually enjoyed running the bar as opposed to being a tech in the back. I was really personable, would remember repeat customers (and their passwords), could multi-task like a mo-fo (soooo many customers at the bar at once), and got tipped pretty frequently.

HOWEVER, the management was awful. They were all people who had worked at The Gap or Express or other retail outfits (mostly clothing, for whatever reason) and they were absolutely worthless. The job was great until you were reminded that you were a complete peon in their eyes. You had to clock in and out for lunch, etc. So it was awesome and menial at the same time.

So you can get a feeling for the time this was: Jaguar has *just* come out, and we were using TiBooks running OS 9 behind the bar because the customer tracking software/point of sale software didn't work on 10.2 yet. And you have NO IDEA how hard it is to take apart one of those damn lampshade iMacs. Hated those damn things.

15. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

What's the point of any thread or conversation that happens daily?

16. Meister Suspended

Meister

:D so true. What BS!

17. sim667 macrumors 65816

TBF apple are arseholes when it comes to warranty...... But its not too much of a problem in the EU since the EU warranty law came into effect.

But I know a good few people whos laptops where breaking after 13 months, and apple would refuse to do anything as they hadn't bought apple care.

In the UK now we're legally covered up to 6 years

18. willmtaylor, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

There we go again, running to fit the narrative to our agenda. Perhaps you ought to read around a bit more before jumping to conclusions (especially with any conclusion you reached from BGR via Yahoo News).

Here's a little more balanced and thoughtful take on the situation:
    http://www.cultofmac.com/291095/apple-employee-drops-homophobic-slur-customers-receipt/

(You'll notice that even the title from Cult of Mac is less presumptive and inflammatory.

19. barkomatic macrumors 68040

This story came up on Queerty a few weeks ago. Even on that site which has a mostly gay audience that would be sympathetic to this type of situation there were suspicions that this may have not have gone down the way the customer claimed. If this was a legitimate case of bigotry then I do feel that Apple owes him an apology -- but I never heard a followup to the story which is also suspicious.

20. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68030

I think Apple is guilty. they need to fire the guy

21. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

And you would be hasty and premature in doing so. From the article:

Even with the bold, the employees there still ask to verify if the email address being used is correct. So there were at least 3 different layers of confirmation up to this incident, in which at one point the customer would have had to have confirmed the address.

BL.

22. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

I happen to be a fag, and if this situation did happen then the queen better just get over herself.

23. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Then you're just as much of the problem as whoever wrote it to begin with.

24. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Usually when things like this make the news they eventually are found out to be fake and just the customer wanting attention or trying to point out some perceived injustice and having it backfire on them when it's shown that they fake it. So I'm pretty sure that the person confirmed it as their email address and possibly entered it themselves.

25. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.