Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DNA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2002
This was posted by marco114 but hasn't been given much attention yet in that thread. What do you think? At least to my untrained eye it seems like it could be true?

APPLE EMPLOYEE TELLS ALL!!!

you guys owe me BIG for this. I captured it as it was happening on a very private Hotline server with an apple employee, who's alias has been changed in this text... nothing else has been altered..

anon: the G5 will be announced next month during Seybold i think like the 22-26 or something
anon: check out the starting G5: 1.2 gig PPC G5
anon: 256 DDR Ram
anon: NVidia3 64 video
anon: USB 1.0 (unlikely 2.0 will debut now)
anon: Firewire 2.0 aka Gigawire
anon: 60 gig harddrive
anon: Superdrive
anon: Gigabit ethernet
anon: Optical port * More on this later on
anon: $1699
anon: 1.8 gig PPC G5
anon: 1 GIG DDR Ram
anon: NVidia3 64 video (dual view)
anon: USB 1.0 (unlikely 2.0 will debut now)
anon: Firewire 2.0 aka Gigawire
anon: 120 gig harddrive
anon: Superdrive
anon: Gigabit ethernet
anon: Optical port
anon: $3299

anon: SUMMER MACWORLD.........
anon:
anon: Still tentative based on market conditions, etc.
anon:
anon: iMac (new) get USB 2.0, speed bump to top end of 1.0 gig
anon:
anon: iBook get USB 2.0, whole line
anon: 1 will remian 12 inch with 600 mhz G3
anon: rest will be 14.1 inch with G4 at 667 and 867
anon: graphics will be enhanced to radeon level.
anon:
anon: G5 tower will get USB 2.0 and POSSIBLE speed bumps (.2 gig each model)
anon: TiBook will get USB 2.0 and POSSIBLE speed bump (.2 gig each model)

anon: As for the TiBook, it has not been forgotten either.
anon:
anon: It WILL NOT HAVE A G5.
anon: It WILL break 1 gig with the G4.
anon: Graphics will be enhanced with more RAM but will STILL BE ATI (think Radeon 2 aka 8500)
anon: Same size configurations and look
anon: NEW batterey technology, based on same tech used in iPod. LONGER run time (8 to 12 hours from tests)
anon: 3 configurations.
anon: 1.0, 1.4 and 1.8 G4 at same price points. It WILL have Firewire 2.0 (Gigawire) and USB 1.0, and airport.

anon: i got news on OS classic
anon: Classic.
anon: Well, the days of classic are limited. With OSX being primary startup..... However, look for the venerable OS 9.2.2 to have three more bigger revisions, 9.3, 9.4 and finally 9.5. Although development willstop after 9.3 which will add some additional functionality with itools and webdav, and communication, 9.4 and 9.5 will be polishing and hardware compatibility updates. Most intriguging is the concept that 9.4 and 9.5 will NOT be standalong OS. Meaning you can run classic 9.4 within OSX but NOT as its own boot. This makes for a faster experience and discards some legacy code and optimizes things a bit. Apple knows many peopel will need classic ability for another few years, but they also want to push migration of OSX, so by having a classic layer yet no separate boot support for the newer machines they solve both issues. The early builds of the OSX only classic layer are surprising with 'classic' app performamce exceeding current 9.2.2 .

anon: oh ya Apples making a digital audio program!
anon: its going to be for pros
anon: and work side by side with FCP
anon: OS X
anon: Where is it going.?
anon: 10.2 is looking like a Feb/Mar release. Most likely with the new G5 towers in Mar.
anon: Its still a housekeeping release. Speed, tweaks of interface, bug squashing, etc.
anon:
anon: But 10.3 onward is where new functionality and features show up. Look for an integrated ability to use the digital hub apps. More customizable abilities of the interface (within reason, NOT SKINS), USB 2.0 support, and better driver support and a few new things never seen on a Mac OS.

Stock. Apple has realized MacWorld only announcements don't help the financial quarters as they should. So rather than announce every six months, they want to announce every 2-3 months. This keeps Apple in the news, in press, and helps the bottom line by having a 'hot new' product every 2 to 3 months. Just the early adopters alone will boost profits for the given quarter. It makes financial sense.
nobody: we're all disgruntled apple employees!
anon: Dual processor will be an option with either 1.4 or 1.8 as a BTO option. The G5 is more complicated to make dual (beyond my technical knowledge to explain why). But its screams with dual processors.

you know running a dual G5 system is like running 8 G4's at once* 80 gigaflop/sec

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
Seems likely, as I did post on the last thread...
One new thing I noticed: «Apples making a digital audio program!». If this is true it would be great. An audio app to go along with FCP in OS X is exactly what we need! :)

Hope this is true!

Ifeelbloated

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2002
some God forsaken place
Well, I'm not sure what to think. What do you think Scully?

Mulder, our show is being cancelled, I don't give a rats rump about anything right now.

Aw, Scully. The truth is out there. Anyway, I've finally realized you're hot, let's get it on baby.

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
Originally posted by Ifeelbloated
Aw, Scully. The truth is out there. Anyway, I've finally realized you're hot, let's get it on baby.

I think they did that once. There wasn't an episode about it, but the robot from the NSA told her he was watching them when they did in that one episode.

Wait.. What does this have to do with Mac Rumors. Hmm...

Gianrico

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2002
Capua - Italy
All is wrong for me.
First someone tells G5 at Macworld.
After someone tells G4 1 Ghz at january 22
After someone tells G5 at Seybold.

I'm very tired but I don't believe anything of that.

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
Gianrico:

The G5 at MacWorld was ridiculus. Two BIG announcements is to much for mr. Jobs. (Apollo G4 was a possibility though, and everyone hoped for it to show)
A speed bumped G4 on Jan 22? Give me a break!
G5s, or at least Apollo G4s at Seybold. Very likely.

Consider these facts:
1. iMac now ships with up to 800 MHz G4.
2. Updated towers is way overdue
3. Crystal Clear Promotion ends on Jan 31st (not 21st)
4. Seybold is a pro show
5. Apple has released big guns at Seybold before
6. At MacWorld, Apple updated BOTH their consumer lines, it would be likely if they update BOTH their pro lines next
7. I want a GHz tower... :)

Six

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
well, we'll find out if it happens today or not...

35 minutes??? but i want it noooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
Just because this guy gives an excuse for his verbal crap, it doesnt mean its any more true than the G5 rumors we heard 3 months ago.
Its not at all interesting, this has been said **** knows how many times before. and last time we heard rumors like this the G5 was at rev 0.8.

Pathetic.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
So lets just settle it.

It fits with insider rumors I've been hearing in the Cupertino area. Seybold always did make more sense. Jan 22 was just the earliest guess as to a release date.

The actual text is a bit disjointed but the concepts are sound and I could see it happening in those configs. It's odd that only the low end and high end options were mentioned. The timeline seems right and I can confirm from my own sources that Apple is switching to a quarterly release schedule. Anticipate the releases to roughly co-encide with trade shows of equivalent interest. That is: Pro line at Seybold & MWNY, Consumer line at MWSF & mid November. Other releases like OS updates and software releases will probably get spred out in between to keep Apple in the press.

The mention of an optical port intreagues me. Perhaps Apple is looking at IR to replace USB for keyboards and mice? Perhaps IR hotsync-ing? Best case for "optical port": Fibre ethernet. Gigabit ethernet is painfully expensive and a fibre channel could be useful for many applications.

The mention of "things never seen on Mac OS" ???????? An obvious software hint but there is very little the Mac hasn't done yet. Also it implies features or titles that exist elsewhere or the quote would have been "never seen before in computing".

This seems much more believable than many other rumors thoughthere is (conveniently) no way to verify it.

Hang on, maybe there is: If we can make a concerted effort to dig up Moto and IBM's production #'s for PPC in the last 2 months, we can get closer. The Chips to look for are the 7450 "Apollo" and 85nn "G5". We can also look at truck and materials flow into Apple's Cork, Singapore, Sacramento and Mexicali production facilities. Towers are mostly produced in Sacramento. We can also track Apple's internal stock manipulation and perhaps even their materials expendatures for the last 2 quarters. If you all want better evidence like I do, lets dig around a bit and narrow the field.Keep all research to public knowledge, I live too close to want Steve to come and kick my *** in person.

If any of my info reguarding Chip #'s is incorrect please post them.

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
Originally posted by spikey
Just because this guy gives an excuse for his verbal crap, it doesnt mean its any more true than the G5 rumors we heard 3 months ago.
Its not at all interesting, this has been said **** knows how many times before. and last time we heard rumors like this the G5 was at rev 0.8.

Pathetic.

Maybe the Hotline chat thing is a hoax, but the information provided does seem logical, and not far fetched at all. Yes, G5 rumors have been around for a while. The first rumors slated a January release for the G5. When that didn't happen, rumorsites went cracy (have anyone seen spymac.com??? :) ). Although we have heard the G5 rumor for a long time, as time passes by, the rumor is getting more and more likely to be true. Something will happen to the PowerMac line, and Seybold seems like the most likely event. Maybe G5 won't appear, but atleast we'll see Apollo G4s. Apple will not canabalize their pro lineup for more than one month. If nothing is about to happen at Seybold, we would probably already have seen an extension to the Crystal Clear Promotion, or a decent price drop on current models...

My 2¢

pc_convert?

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2002
UK
Introducing the G5 at Seybold doesn't make much sense to me, (thats even if the G5 is ready).

Why would Motorola spend all that time and money on Apollo?

As I've stated in another post I think G5 towers will appear at MWNY or early 2003. I expect G4 Apollo towers to appear at Seybold.

This way Apollo becomes 'top dog' for a while. When the towers move onto G5, iMac2 migrates to Apollo.

But what do I know.....?:)

samy85114

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2001
As someone said, come on give me a break... I was waiting for it today and there's nothing, also was waiting for G5 at MWSF, even if that was impossible....

So, and i'm probably not the only one, I want to get fact not rumors... and my thought is, this Apple employee right up there, that's not his real job... otherwise, if it's true, well I want real stuff ( ... his Apple access card.. ) or something that can tell me who he is ! And again, he could lie to us....

:) but a G5 at seybold might be awesome!!!!!

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
thoughts...

way to go evildead! :D

as for the G5 stuff.....I'm over it....going to wait and see what comes about later this year.....even though I'd most likely want one, I'm not in the market for another machine for a while....

MaxRool

macrumors member
Hmmmm!!!!

And...
The mythical Apollo 1 Ghz G4's were promised as "coming soon" over 15 months ago. And, well, I guess we now know what "soon" means...

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0010/10.motorola.shtml

As much as I need (ok, 'want') a faster machine I, probably like many others, am waiting for the Ghz barrier to be broken. I know the dual 800 Mhz machine is more that enough for me at the moment. Maybe its just a "6 inch thing", but I want my dual 1 Ghz now and I don't care if its G4 or G5 so long as its Symmetric Processing capable.

And I want one now tooooooo!

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by pc_convert?
Why would Motorola spend all that time and money on Apollo?

One name: iMac
And, for future reference, another 2 names: PowerBook; iBook.

cryptochrome

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2002
Originally posted by madamimadamtimallen

One name: iMac
And, for future reference, another 2 names: PowerBook; iBook.

Seriously though, the G4 cycle was so slow and improvements in the G5 so fast, what's really stopping them from skipping a generation? Does the G5 use so much power/cost so much that it can't be put in a notebook anytime soon?

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by cryptochrome

Seriously though, the G4 cycle was so slow and improvements in the G5 so fast, what's really stopping them from skipping a generation? Does the G5 use so much power/cost so much that it can't be put in a notebook anytime soon?

According to the Motorola website, the generation 5 processors are running low power.

tw9876z

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2002
ibook as fast as current powerbook is to big a leap. If ibook does go g4 ill be pissed becuase ive only had my powerbook 4 months

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by tw9876z
ibook as fast as current powerbook is to big a leap. If ibook does go g4 ill be pissed becuase ive only had my powerbook 4 months

No, iBooks won't go to G4 just yet, I would see it that the iBook will go G4 when the PowerBook is G5 and the iMac is into into the Apollo series.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.