Apple Employees Being Directed to Lie

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MicroMacTosh, Sep 26, 2013.

1. MicroMacTosh macrumors member

This might sound sensational, but I noticed something odd today with three different staff members repeating a certain statement, even when a customer never asked anything about the topic ....

I've been to the Apple store daily, and staff has definitely been briefed/ordered to say this ...

"Just to let you know, the no contract phones are locked to the carriers."

I walked in and asked if they had gold iPhones in stock (I check every hour, had been there first thing when they opened in the morning today, and back after 2 hours to check) and the guy at the front said the above statement to me unsolicited .... what does asking if they have gold iPhones available in-store have to do with the statement that phones bought are locked to carriers ...... which is a blatant lie anyway, and I am SURE they know it, and were directed to say it to possibly deter resellers who may think they're locked.

I smiled at him with a killer grin, and said I wasn't looking for unlocked, but for"Device Only" :D

He took a gulp and looked nervous when i said that .. they know we know full-priced AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile phones bought from Apple are unlocked, and are being told to LIE to consumers (who may not know) that devices are locked to carriers.

Isn't that ilegal ?

I heard another Apple guy say the exact same thing to another customer who asked to buy "unlocked ...... Apple sales people all look like little kids caught with their hands in the cookie jar, nervous looks on their faces when telling this lie (being forced to lie !)

2. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

I think its company policy for them to not advertise the device only phones as "unlocked." What i heard when i bought my device only is "unlocking is up to the carriers, they might not do it" lol yeah right okay they've been unlocking iphones for 2+ years now, no reason for them to stop. I think if you want an unlocked phone, they can only give you the phone apple markets as "unlocked"

But when i called apple stores on sept 19th asking if the tmobile phones were locked or unlocked, they all directly told me that they were locked to tmobile, which we all know by now is a blatant lie.

3. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I was actually told the opposite from Apple.

"We don't sell unlocked phones, but the full price phones may be used as such."

4. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

You sure are making a lot of assumptions and accusations....I would like to have seen this in person because you make it sound overly dramatic.

5. MicroMacTosh thread starter macrumors member

There's a difference between not advertising and making FALSE STATEMENTS.

This is deceit and misleading customers... it is a blatant lie.

6. petsounds macrumors 65816

They're probably saying that because I'm sure there's a ton of people trying to buy unlocked 5s iPhones and flip them on ebay/CL.

And it's not necessarily untrue; there are many specific models of the 5s, and each only works on certain LTE bands and thus only works with certain carriers.

7. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

The Tmobile/Verizon/AT&T iPhone 5S all work on the same bands lol. The Sprint one is nearly identical.

So either its ignorance on the Apple store employees' part (most likely), or them not wanting to take responsibility for you doing something outside the scope of the sale.

[​IMG]

8. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Creative Writing 101...use adjectives and clichés liberally.

"killer grin"

"He took a gulp and looked nervous "

"look like little kids caught with their hands in the cookie jar"

"nervous looks on their faces"

And on topic...a lot of assumptions made in the post.

9. Man on the moon macrumors member

"Killer grin"

That was a little silly

10. MicroMacTosh thread starter macrumors member

I discern many things, I am a keen observer and study people and my surroundings.

Trust me when I say they are being told to say this, it's not a coincidence, or someone trying to be helpful.

Apple store reps are the stupidest sales people I have ever seen, I can't even begin how many Apple reps gave me erroneous information on almost any topicc, they are so ignorant , and act like members of a cult with a dearth of free thinking.

These are Apple salespeople in LA. I have no idea how they're hired, or how they're "trained", they're mostly robotic and give drilled answers and you'll find different salespeople in the same store giving contradictory answers on everything.

One says cash is not allowed. I smirk at her and tell her I don't believe that, bring a manager, she does. She insists she's right.Turns out she's wrong. Roll eyes.

They are soooooo stupid I'm left scratching my head. The criteria to be hired at an Apple store in LA is to wear skinny jeans, have a beard, ride a skateboard to work, and be a clueless, cult member.

11. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

How could anyone question the total accuracy of one with the capacity to discern so acutely, and is a keen observer of the human condition.

And that smirk must have really been a killer look!

Just a suggestion...drop that creative writing class.:D ;)

:rolleyes:

12. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

I'll stick to trusting Apple since so much of what is posted here is BS.......

13. Partridge macrumors 6502

Actually, all the no contract phones sold ARE locked to the carriers when sold.

When they are activated, full price no contract phones are then unlocked if their IMEI's are in the system.

Technicalities.

14. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Sorry OP, but Apple employees are not directed to lie. You're being delusional.

Best of luck,
    Bryan

15. sucka free macrumors member

Pardon the ignorance but what's a device phone?
    There's individual carrier phones which are now unlocked, and full price phones which are also unlocked, but what is the device phone

16. anonnymouse macrumors regular

Since Apple are such liars (according to you), I think the appropriate response would be to consider purchasing a Samsung phone and call it a day.

Get over yourself.

17. aristobrat macrumors G4

Deter resellers? Really? Like resellers don't already know?! That makes no sense...

You're a reseller (you actually called yourself a 'scalper' in a previous post). Didn't deter you in the slightest, did it?

18. celly macrumors 6502

Interesting you say that because OP does flip phones. ;)

19. wxman2003 Suspended

I'm sure they have something in writing between the carriers and apple to say this until Apple officially starts selling "unlocked" phones. The carriers want apple to sell you a 2 year contract.

20. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

which LA Apple store? I am curious. :apple:

21. KPOM macrumors G5

I've never been misled when buying an iPhone "device-only" (4s, 5, and 5s), though they have never volunteered that it was unlocked. My experience on Saturday was as follows.

I had actually ordered a T-Mobile iPhone from T-Mobile and somehow managed to snare Saturday delivery. My original plan was to try out T-Mobile and get them to unlock it after 40 days.

On a whim, I walked into the Lincoln Park Apple Store (Chicago) to get a leather case, and noticed that people were getting iPhones and there were no lines. There was someone with 3 three-ring binders full of cards for phones. The guy before me asked if they had any T-Mobile iPhones. I don't know for sure, but he had a foreign accent and perhaps knew that the T-Mo phones would be unlocked. The rep told them they didn't have any. I asked about AT&T phones. All he had were cards for the 64GB Space Gray. I took one and thought about it for a few minutes (holding a demo gray unit). I then asked about Verizon. He had 16GB and 32GB silver (exactly what I wanted). I asked if they sold them device only. He said yes and handed me a card for a 32GB. 2 minutes later another sales associate asked for my card, pulled open a drawer, and took out the 32GB Verizon phone. I told him I wanted it device only, and he sold it to me. At one point he commented that he could tell I knew what I was doing, but at no point did he discourage me from buying the phone or tell me that I had to get a Verizon contract.

My guess is that the associates are given the "official" line. Those who are new don't know any better. Those who have been there for a while know exactly what's going on. If they think you are a re-seller or scammer they might turn you away, but if it's obvious you are just buying one for yourself and you aren't buying the corporate line they'll sell it to you.

On a side note, I have bought my last 3 device-only iPhones from 3 different stores (Tice's Corner - NJ, Grand Central - NYC, Lincoln Park - Chicago).

22. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

There's a fine line between factually reporting on keen observations, and stringing those observations (and possibly some embellishments and filtering of those observations through prejudices) to form a house of cards.

Did you get confirmation of this, even confidentially, from an Apple employee? Do you know WHO gave this alleged order? Is it from the top? A regional manager? Is it only that store, a corporate-wide standing order, or something in between?

So why do you want to give this cult your money? Don't feed them. Buy something else.

I think the rather intelligent and reasonable 50-something year old woman who helped me out at the Genius Bar yesterday would really not look all that great in skinny jeans riding a skateboard. Fortunately, she doesn't let her beard grow, either.

23. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

If true they're probably just trying to discourage scalpers and people buying for eBay and Craigslist

24. KPOM macrumors G5

That's my guess. I've never had a problem buying an iPhone device-only. I don't look like a scalper, and I do look like someone who knows the drill.

25. IndoX macrumors regular

My insider knowledge (who currently works at apple) tells me that technically the phones are not unlocked since they have a carrier name attached to it. If you blatantly asked them for an unlocked phone they will tell you they currently don't sell factory unlocked phones - which is true. They currently don't sell a factory unlocked phone, all of their 5S stock has a carrier associated with the SKU.

They are also not allowed to suggest getting a verizon phone to work on AT&T. This is to cause less confusion to the staff and customers - so they tend to stick with AT&T for AT&T and Verizon to verizon.

However, they are in no way shape or form being told to say that the phones are locked to carriers - with the exception of sprint. Most of the employees there know the basics. The people who know that Verizon is unlocked to 3 major carriers are those who do their research or those that are experienced.

In general they'll recommend to get the correct carrier in the best interest of the consumer. But they do not lie nor are they told to do so. If you asked them if the verizon phone is unlocked they'll tell you no. If you ask them if you can use a verizon phone on AT&T you'll get an honest answer of yes, a I don't know, or no. In the case of the 'no' it's simply because they don't know otherwise and it would be common sense that these phones are locked to the carriers. You can correct them or show them otherwise and they'll probably appreciate it because now you taught them something