Apple estimates that my AppleCare ends on 1st June, but I bought it on 3rd April

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cathyy, Mar 30, 2009.

1. cathyy macrumors 6502a

Kinda need some more time to decide whether I want to extend my AppleCare or not. Even buying it off the net seems quite expensive. Anyway, Apple's website tells me that my warranty ends on the 1st of June 2009 but I bought my Macbook Pro on the 3rd of April 2008. Which one should I go with? Will I be allowed to extend my AppleCare if I buy it on the 4th of April?

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

You have within the initial one year period to buy AppleCare - so you have until April 3 2009. Buy it April 4 and you'll be rejected.
    No matter whether you buy it today or wait several days until April 3, it will still end up expiring on the same date, which will be April 3 2011, as Apple Care for a Mac covers it for three years from the date of the computer's purchase as opposed to three years from the date of AC's activation like with iPods.

3. cathyy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm well, I bought my Macbook Pro from an official retailer. I'm thinking that maybe they were too lazy to register my warranty until like 2 months later.

4. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

hmmm free Apple care for 2 months... I see no reason to complain! :D

5. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Check your receipt and the serial number should be on it. I'm pretty sure they have to type in the serial number during the Mac's purchase process, and when they do the warranty becomes activated. At least that's what they did for me, for both my Mac and my iPods.
    I'd definitely call Apple before the 3rd of April, just in case it is an error.

6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

You can buy applecare from ebay for a substantial discount if it appears to be from a trusted seller. If anything goes wrong with your MBP during the next two years, the money for Applecare will seem to have been a bargain.

7. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

I bought it on eBay for $130, and it registered with Apple - no problem. I do have all my receipts including the purchase receipt from Apple for the MBP, and the ebay/paypal receipt from the seller for the Applecare.

You won't find it listed that low, but if you search some of the sellers on eBay who have solid feedback (99+%) and hundreds or thousands of transactions, and their feedback comments are specifically about Applecare sales, then I'd feel comfortable doing it. Use paypal, and you have some protection.

Some sellers have two different 'buy it now!' prices, and the higher one might have a "make an offer" button. If the seller is highly rated, try to offer a low price. If it doesn't work, just up the offer. Once you hit the price they'll sell at, you'll automatically get an acceptance of your offer. So you can fish for their bottom price that way. I just offered $130, and when it was accepted in 3 seconds, I don't know if I could have tried a lower offer at first, but I just paid via paypal, and in an hour or less I had my registration info. It worked at Apple support, and the next morning I had my confirmation of coverage from Apple.

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Follow the date of what you have on receipt. The computer is all estimations. Even if Apple calls you out, you have proof that you purchased it on April 3rd.

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

+1 ^^^ So, true; I'm good until February 2012, even though my computer says October '08.....