Apple Exchanges My 560X MacBook Pro for a Vega-20 MacBook Pro After 29 Days

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PROFESS0R, Nov 23, 2018.

1. PROFESS0R macrumors regular

Hi Gang,

Like a few here, I was disappointed that Apple released the Vega-20 roughly two weeks after I purchased my 560X MacBook Pro. Had I known the Vega was due to release, I would have waited. This said, thanks to this forum, I discovered that the Vega released, and that there was a possibility Apple would exchange my 560X for a Vega-20, even past the 14 day return window.

A brief call to Apple today confirmed that they would take my 560X MacBook Pro back. The Apple person I spoke with authorized the return immediately after I told her that I wanted the return because I preferred the Nee Vega-20 GPU. She did not even need a managers approval.

My new Vega-20 MacBook Pro is scheduled for delivery Dec 02 - Dec 06. I could not be happier.

Joe

2. puma1552 Suspended

I would hope they would be accommodating considering you spent $7k on the one you had.

Good to hear it.

3. PROFESS0R thread starter macrumors regular

This is Apple... I would not have been surprised if they would have said no. I would have been disappointed, but not surprised

4. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

I wouldn't have been surprised either. But often Apple has been pretty good about extending the return periods from 14 to 30 days upon request. So it definitely would have been a little disappointing. I am glad they took care of you!

I have seen a few posts from folks who are 60-90 days out. If Apple makes exemptions for requests that many days out from purchase, that would really surprise me.

5. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

No idea how you did it, but my request to exchange my MacBook Pro to the Vega 20 and me paying the difference has been rejected 7 times now.

Congrats!

Definitely not buying a MacBook Pro at launch ever again.

6. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

You spoke with the right person.

7. PROFESS0R thread starter macrumors regular

Here is one thing I did which may have stacked the deck in my favor; I built the MacBook Pro I wanted on Apple’s website and placed the order. The only difference between the MacBook Pro I ordered earlier and the new one was the graphics card. I made certain that the Apple Representitive knew that I had already placed the order for the replacement computer, and she confirmed that she could see the new order. I knew if Apple did not agree to let me return my old MacBook Pro, I could easily cancel the order for the new one. I have no idea if this made a difference, but it may be something you could try.

Joe

8. inmnbob macrumors regular

Apple was good enough to allow my return at 30 days to get the Vega 20

9. Jerz macrumors regular

Jerz

The OP isn't exchanging or paying the difference, the OP is returning the MBP and purchasing another one.

10. Darthbishop79 macrumors newbie

I tried both calling Apple Support & going into the store to see if they would let me swap my over over 90 day owned 2018 Macbook Pro to a Vega 20. I was denied both times.

I really feel like this is a huge slap in the face. Had I known they would be upgrading the GPU in 3 months time I would have waited.....clear and simple. I emailed Tim Cook as a last ditch effort, I don't expect to get a reply.

Sucks, one disappointed Apple loyalist here.

11. FrostyF macrumors regular

I included this gift message with my Vega 20 order.

Screen Shot 2018-11-26 at 8.45.28 PM.png

12. Darthbishop79 macrumors newbie

A well deserved message!
    --- Post Merged, Nov 26, 2018 ---
    I wonder if getting a Razor Core X with a Vega 64 eGPU would be better at this point in time.

Any thoughts anybody?

If I sell my Macbook Pro 560X 32GB i9 on eBay i'd be lucky to get $3300 in my hands for it after all the fees....only to spend another $800 for a Vega 20 model with the same specs.....just doesn't seem worth it!
    --- Post Merged, Nov 26, 2018 ---

If they would swap my machine and all I had to pay was an additional $350....I'd do it!

13. Jerz macrumors regular

Jerz

Okay... it's over 90 days. Did you really expect to get an exchange after you've used a product for over a quarter?

I'm an Apple fanboy too but expecting an exchange for a product owned over 90 days is extreme.

14. Darthbishop79 macrumors newbie

Absolutely brother,

When in those 3 months they updated to a better GPU with better thermals and performance for just a fraction of the cost....YES and I am not the only one who feels this way!

15. AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

I’m sorry but...you’ve owned the product for more than 3 months. It’s not Apple’s fault that you bought a product at a bad time. It costs a lot of money to do a swap like this.

Most companies wouldn’t even let you swap within 10 days, much less 30!

It’s sucks, but it’s not Apple’s fault.

16. Darthbishop79 macrumors newbie

I appreciate your feedback and yes it's a stretch both ways....Apple updated only 3 months later and me requesting an exchange.....they are both crazy actions here.

At this point I am just considering an eGPU with a Vega 64, however, I won't go down without a fight on the matter. That thermal throttle BS got so much coverage....why not this??

17. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

While I agree with you on the 90 days bit, who other than Apple has a return policy as short as 14 days, let alone 10?

18. Jerz macrumors regular

Jerz

Not a stretch both ways. Just a stretch your way. To expect a product to be returned when it is MORE than 90 days, not even less, is ridiculous.

19. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

--- Post Merged, Nov 27, 2018 ---

I can smell the entitlement from here.

20. PROFESS0R thread starter macrumors regular

I would love to try and get a return for someone who is between 60 and 90 days (but not over 90 days) since their purchase of a 560X AND who has not yet tried to get a return from Apple. Once Apple denies a request, it is logged and any new rep who reads the notes may simply parrot the denial. I want to see if I can push the 90 day return envelope just for the fun of it. If you have a MacBook Pro with a 560X in it, and you purchased it somewhere between 60 and 90 days prior to today's date, send me an email (dr Joe west at iCloud dot com, no spaces, all lowercase).

Joe

21. puma1552 Suspended

This is asinine.

Are you new to Apple?

Can you believe there was a time in recent history where Apple did major updates every 8 months with smaller updates every four months?

You bought a new product right when it was released, which was the right time to do it. You knew you were buying top spec at the time, and you also knew something else was eventually coming, whether it was 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, or 12 months later. Did you machine suddenly turn to garbage?

Apple doesn't owe you anything whatsoever. 90 days? Get a grip.

22. T-R-S macrumors 6502

T-R-S

23. AppleHaterLover macrumors 68000

Which isn't true, since their return policy is 14 days.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 27, 2018 ---

This. Some people...

You buy a computer because of the current specs. Do people really expect Apple to announce they're going to release something new so they're left with tons of unsold stock due to rumors????

What's even worse - in this case, Apple DID ANNOUCE that the Vega was coming to the MBP.

24. rsths12 macrumors newbie

rsths12

Can you provide examples? I am just curious as I don't recall anything similar to this, but I admittedly only tend to follow Apple when I need to buy one.

What if they had done this with the iPhone? Release in Sept, sell through the holiday business season, then release a new one with a significant upgrade (camera, screen, etc...something akin to the Vega improvement). My personal opinion is that there would be significant consumer pushback. It just wouldn't fly to have people pay so much for a phone then upgrade it only 3 months later. But these high end computers are a small segment of their business, so there really isn't too much noise about it even though a lot of us invested around $4K in these machines.

Yes, I have one of the 560X machines that is well out of the 30 day period. No, I don't feel like I should be able to return it, but I would have liked an upgrade path. And yes, I was aware Apple products are not-upgradeable.

As a 15-year Apple user, PCs will now be heavily weighed as an option in the future based on my experience with the 2018 MBP.

25. puma1552, Nov 27, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2018

puma1552 Suspended

I can't give specific examples, but it was very common for them to have pretty consistent major upgrades on 8 month cycles like clockwork with small speed bumps every 4, whenever Intel had speed bump processors ready for market. There may have been other incremental speed bumps at those times too like slightly faster RAM or whatnot. Minor, but nonetheless you would hold off buying if you knew a minor bump was around the corner. This 1 year or even 1.5 year between udpates crap that Apple has done the last few years isn't the norm, but Intel has dropped the ball so many times. That said, I don't think that absolves Apple from making other updates to the machines - we went what, like 1.5 years for a MBP upgrade a year or two back? There's no reason Apple couldn't have made other small updates in that time frame (screen improvements, etc) instead of chaining themselves solely to Intel.

I mean the bottom line is Apple is pushing the envelope with MBPs that now cost anywhere from $4k to $7k, which is more like $8k out the door with tax and AppleCare+ (AC+ and discontinuation of AC is another money grab). But we all know that something better is coming, and in this case Apple did actually pre-announce which virtually never happened in the past. If you bought a 2018 model right after they were released and you were 100% happy with it then, there's no reason not to be 100% happy with it now. Look at it this way, next time you upgrade it will be that much more substantial of an upgrade and that much more worth the money.