Apple Expected to Release 5.4-Inch and 6.7-Inch iPhones With Thinner Displays in 2020

jon_b

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2017
I haven’t read this entire thread but so far haven’t seen anyone talking about how useless 5G will be in 2020. The carriers will have it in VERY limited places and, for the most part, at very high frequency bands that practically require line of sight. It won’t be widely deployed and practically useable for a couple more years. Does anyone actually want both physical space and battery life in their iPhone dedicated to additional antennas, chips, and radios only to see faster downloads if you happen to be standing in the right place? I’d be totally fine if they skipped it and waited until 2021.

Hallelujah if the 5.4” thing is true though. From the company that trumpeted the one-handed usability of 4” devices. I’d prefer sub 5” but will take what I can get. Been waiting long enough!

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2016
The iPhone 6 / 6 Plus sales skyrocketed because it was the first iPhone that had mass appeal to customers in China due to their large screen sizes. Smartphone buyers in China snapped it up in droves. In additon to that there was pent-up demand outside of China for iPhone with larger-than-4" screens. Add those two together & you have explosive sales.
Sure, but that doesn't explain why all those 6 users are still using a 6 and have't upgraded. If you can afford a brand new 6, then you can afford to upgrade, so that's not the problem. Cameras, screens, waterproofing, and other features have improved dramatically, and iOS 13 doesn't work on the 6, so surely all those people would have upgraded by now. So why not? The only thing that stands out is the jack. There are even rumours that the upcoming 8SE2 is to be aimed at tempting all those remaining 6 users, but I can't see how if it doesn't address the underlying reason they aren't upgrading in the first place. Worldwide android sales continue to grow, but iPhone has shrunk since the 6. Why is that? Why are the new buyers shifting to Android? What has gone wrong for iPhone? I can only think of one thing, and that's the jack. And yep, I know, a lot of the Androids are copying the removal of the jack, but there are still plenty of choices with the jack. So where does everyone go if they want the jack? Either holding onto their 6, or moving to Android.

On a similar thread of thought, MacBook Pro sales flattened out in 2012, still slightly increasing until 2016, then slightly decreasing since. Why is this? I strongly suspect the soldering of RAM since 2012, and soldering of both RAM and SSD since 2016, thus rendering these already expensive machines to be massively more expensive for total cost of ownership due to needing to prematurely upgrade at time of purchase, instead of a couple of years later when actually needed, and when RAM and SSD prices have dropped, and also being forced to buy this RAM and SSD from Apple at exorbitant mark ups rather than from third parties. Apart from the soldered in RAM and glued in battery, the Retina generation was actually the best ever, and yet sales plateaued. And of course, since 2016 there were all kinds of issues. I strongly suspect Mac sales would increase dramatically if they stopped soldering RAM, SSD, (and battery), or at least stopped charging a ridiculous mark up on RAM and SSD upgrade options. In other words, it's all about total cost of ownership. Note that there is no headphone jack issue with Macs ha ha.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: PC_tech

vipergts2207

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Sure, but that doesn't explain why all those 6 users are still using a 6 and have't upgraded. If you can afford a brand new 6 when it came out, then you can afford to upgrade, so that's not the problem. Cameras, screens, waterproofing, and other features have improved dramatically, and iOS 13 doesn't work on the 6, so surely all those people would have upgraded by now. So why not? The only thing that stands out is the jack. There are even rumours that the upcoming 8SE2 is to be aimed at tempting all those remaining 6 users (and if it has a jack, I might get one). Worldwide android sales continue to grow, but iPhone has shrunk since the 6. Why is that? Why are the new buyers shifting to Android? What has gone wrong for iPhone? I can only think of one thing, and that's the jack. And yep, I know, a lot of the Androids are copying the removal of the jack, but there are still plenty of choices with the jack. So where does everyone go if they want the jack? Either holding onto their 6, or moving to Android.
Your theory about it being the headphone jack basically falls apart when you consider that the gap between iPhone and Android on worldwide shipments was already enormous when the 6 launched in 2014. And the jack wasn’t removed until the 7 in late 2016. The sales trend for both iPhone and android are nearly identical post jack removal from late ‘16 on. The only ones who still care about the headphone jack are the same as the vocal minority who complain about only having USB-C ports on the MBP. Most folks have moved on to wireless headphones or use a simple adapter.

Last edited:

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2016
Your theory about it being the headphone jack basically falls apart when you consider that the gap between iPhone and Android on worldwide shipments was already enormous when the 6 launched in 2014. And the jack wasn’t removed until the 7 in late 2016. The sales trend for both iPhone and android are nearly identical post jack removal from late ‘16 on. The only ones who still care about the headphone jack are the same as the vocal minority who complain about only having USB-C ports on the MBP. Most folks have moved on to wireless headphones or use a simple adapter.
Nope, Android has continued to increase sales since 2016, while iPhone has declined.

Attachments

Reactions: PC_tech

vipergts2207

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Nope, Android has continued to increase sales since 2016, while iPhone has declined.
Dude look at the chart for what it is, rather than trying to spin it to fit your made-up narrative. The 7 came out in late ‘16. At that time Android and iPhone saw a peak followed by a steep decline and then finally a gradual increase. Are you blind, because I’m not sure how you can say Android has increased since 2016 and iPhone has decreased when both graphs have identical shapes from late 2016 on. Additionally, why don’t you post some more recent data. This data ends just a few months after the X came out and is now missing almost 2 years of data.

Stridr69

macrumors member
May 8, 2012
5.4" is for women--and my wife, all her friends will be very happy with that. Not all but a significant % of women have been clamoring for smaller phones--if its all screen--it'd be about the perfect size
Women want something that fits in their hand easier and don't have the phone needs that men do.
"and don't have the phone needs that men do." Seriously??!! I have some women friends that will disagree with you BIG TIME on that comment.

niji

Contributor
Feb 9, 2003
tokyo
quite a lot of posts so i may have missed it, but,

if the rumor is true that apple will release a model with 5.4" display, this could be such an ideal model for me.
what i would like to know is, what would the actual physical dimensions look like?
would the actual phone's physical outer dimensions become about the same as the physical dimensions of the iPhone 6/6s/7/8?
or, would it be even physically smaller, around an iPhone SE physical dimensions?

thanks

Last edited:

EightyTwenty

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2015
It’s smaller than the 5.8”. Doesn’t have to be smaller than the iPhone 5.
I don't understand what it is that you want.

A 5.4" display with a 2:1 aspect ratio will be slightly wider than the iPhone 5. You seemed to indicate that the 5.4" was still too big. My point is that you are not going to get a screen that is smaller than that on any Apple device, unless Apple goes back to 16:9 aspect ratios.
- - Post merged: - -

On a similar thread of thought, MacBook Pro sales flattened out in 2012, still slightly increasing until 2016, then slightly decreasing since. Why is this? I strongly suspect the soldering of RAM since 2012, and soldering of both RAM and SSD since 2016, thus rendering these already expensive machines to be massively more expensive for total cost of ownership due to needing to prematurely upgrade at time of purchase, instead of a couple of years later when actually needed, and when RAM and SSD prices have dropped, and also being forced to buy this RAM and SSD from Apple at exorbitant mark ups rather than from third parties. Apart from the soldered in RAM and glued in battery, the Retina generation was actually the best ever, and yet sales plateaued. And of course, since 2016 there were all kinds of issues. I strongly suspect Mac sales would increase dramatically if they stopped soldering RAM, SSD, (and battery), or at least stopped charging a ridiculous mark up on RAM and SSD upgrade options. In other words, it's all about total cost of ownership. Note that there is no headphone jack issue with Macs ha ha.
You don't need to wonder why Macbook Pro sales have been declining since 2016. The issue is the keyboard.

quite a lot of posts so i may have missed it, but,

if the rumor is true that apple will release a model with 5.4" display, this could be such an ideal model for me.
what i would like to know is, what would the actual physical dimensions look like?
would the actual phone's physical outer dimensions become about the same as thephysical dimensions of the iPhone 6/6s/7/8?

thanks
No, it would be significantly smaller. Somewhere between the iPhone SE and the iPhone 8.

Last edited:
Reactions: niji

niji

Contributor
Feb 9, 2003
tokyo

A 5.4" display with a 2:1 aspect ratio will be slightly wider than the iPhone 5. You seemed to indicate that the 5.4" was still too big. My point is that you are not going to get a screen that is smaller than that on any Apple device, unless Apple goes back to 16:9 aspect ratios.

You don't need to wonder why Macbook Pro sales have been declining since 2016. The issue is the keyboard.

No, it would be significantly smaller. Somewhere between the iPhone SE and the iPhone 8.
thanks very much !

vipergts2207

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH

A phone with about a 5-5.2” screen would be perfect for me was my point. And why exactly can Apple not do a 5” screen at 2:1?

Baymowe335

macrumors 603
Oct 6, 2017
Haha ok. Well sure, they're hardly going to market the new phone as their second best phone, regardless of whether it's true or not.
It’s pretty much objectively true.

I'm not so sure. Now here's a big question.... why is the iPhone 6 the best selling iPhone ever? The only thing that stands out to me is it's the last model to have a headphone jack, and thus people kept buying it year after year after year until it finally got removed off the shelves this year. So, if the 2020 model comes with a headphone jack, then you could be right. If Tim Crook stands by his obstinate theory on obsolete technology (even though every new mac still has one), then I think you will be wrong.

Meanwhile, my iPhone 6 still keeps chugging along, but when it finally dies, it will be an Android for me, unless Apple brings back the jack. Before this phone I had a 3G, and a 4S, so every 3rd year I'd get a new one. So I should have had an 8 and an 11, but no jack, no buy. I don't really want to move to Android, and the 6 just keeps on working (especially since I got a free battery replacement due to battery-gate, ha ha).
Most people moved on from the headphone jack 3-4 years ago and the iPhone 6 wasn’t the best seller because it had one.

Tech198

macrumors G5
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
No thanks. The current trend is to make things a little thicker to accommodate a larger battery, which is the #1 requirement for the overwhelming majority of users.
Well... Apple did go from chunky to thick from the iPhone SE to the iPhone 6s Plus So it wouldn't be the first time.... now they are going back to chunky again...

Seems users do change frequently as well

Denzo

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2009
Australia
I had every iPhone since the 3GS. I stopped at the iPhone 7 Plus. Too big for me. I went to. Samsung Galaxy S9+ (I know) and even that with its amazing battery, photos and being decently lighter didn’t help.
I just bought an iPhone SE and couldn’t be happier.
If the next iPhone 12 is a smidgeon bigger with flagship specs Apple can take my money ASAP.

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
How is 5.4" cramped? Does everyone on this forum have Shaq's hands?
I’m only 5’2 with proportionally sized hands. But if you get used to a certain size thumb board it can be challenging going up or down a size regardless of how big or small your hands are. There’s also a sense of constraint looking at a display that’s smaller than one you’ve used for a year. This year I’ve gotten used to the iPhone 11 Pro display but I think the sweet spot was the one on my iPhone XR. However, I much prefer carrying the smaller 11 Pro. If I am going to be spending more than 40 minutes on my phone doing emails or other screen and typing intensive tasks I switch over to a larger device.

Reactions: Ladybug

smoking monkey

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
There is no freaking point of making a smaller notch. That is just imbecile and a horrible way of fragmenting the screen pixel resolution of various model.
I get it, and obviously no notch is best, but personally, I'll take a smaller notch over the current notch.

Touch ID was so much better than Face ID. Not being able to unlock the phone without picking it up should have been a deal breaker.
For me, I much prefer Face ID. Yes, it's a bit of a PITA when it's on a table, but that is about the only time where it's not as convenient. Every other situation that I use it in, Face ID trumps Touch ID. Logging into apps on your phone is seamless. That alone is worth the table trouble for me.

vipergts2207

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
The notch is a horrible thing regardless if is bigger or smaller and tainted the normal screen design.
I don’t like the notch either, but it’s probably not going away anytime soon. It’s unlikely that Apple can fit all that FaceID tech in just the bezel or under the screen. If they somehow do I’ll be pleasantly surprised, but I won’t hold my breath.