Apple Expo Paris Coverage

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple Expo coverage live transcript.

New PowerBooks and Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse released.

Live feed possible by the kind offer from Joern and Klaus from Mac-TV.de - Klaus providing us with English -> German -> English translations of their Keynote feed the entire way.

Special thanks to timmi (http://home.subnet.at/timmi for trying to get us the satellite feed and iChat AV feed. Sadly, despite rumors, there was no public satellite feed available. :)

kristianm

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2003
Norway
No iTunes music for europe, no panther, no iTunes windows. This could have been better. Still, I am thinking of buying one of those powerbooks.

nodmonkey

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2003
Hampshire, UK
come back on stage, Steve!

and tell us all about those new iPod accessories you have ready!

Oh, and take the Applestore down for a while too, while you're at it; the iPod accessories aren't there yet.

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
These should compete well with x86 Centrino laptops

Given the limitations of the G4 in terms of clock speed, the new PowerBooks look like quite good. The 512KB of L2 cache should aid performance a lot as well.

I'm sure that someone will bemoan the lack of a G5 PowerBook, but that was always just a dream ... maybe early next year...

Shame that the 12" doesn't have a widescreen display (e.g., 1280x768 or thereabouts) instead of 1024x768 (as far as I can tell). Also, does it remain thicker than the 15.2" and the 17"?

WannabeSQ

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2002
Not really impressed, but it looks as if Apple finally got the 12" right, same cache as other models, higher ram capacity, DVI, fairly good video, etc. Nothing breathtaking, but it should ease decisions between 12" iBook and pBook.

Also, the 12" pbook page still says it is "smaller than the iBook" so i doubt there will be any significant changes to the iBook short of speed bumps, and maybe AE and USB2/bluetooth.

esheep2001

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Too little, too late and no thought for the poor saps (like me) who are hanging in limbo waiting for dual G5's.

And the single button mouse! Yeah, like that's gonna sell well! Expect to see those as standard equipment on emacs soon. Keyboard? Well I might think about that but the loss of the USB ports on the desktop may negate the wireless capability.

Any more than just a speed bump for the 12"? FW800? USB2? DVI? Anything even slightly cutting edge?

Overall, about what I expected on the hardware side, suprisingly little on the software side.

e.

macjohnmcc

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2002
Houston, TX, USA
I'm so happy there are new 15" PB and a faster 12" PB with cache. Not because I want one but because I'm tired of every single rumor thread turning into a whine festival concerning the outdated product line.

But I am totally surprised that Panther didn't get a more concrete release time frame.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Well done arn on the coverage... ;) you had that well covered today!!

the 15" looks cool, shame about the 1.25 max though, that's abit dissapointing.... I'm thinking this might be the last G4 PowerBook revision though... Shame they don't have 128MB graphics options as well... but all in all, the 15" looks cool.... 2GB limit very good though!

I'm still abit puzzled why Apple don't offer the keyboard and mouse in silver to go with the pro range, I bought a white Apple mouse last week and it really doesn't go at all with the PowerBook....

I'm surprised by the battery run time as well... I didn't think they'd last that long, most impressed there!!

Overall, not bad for a Tuesday... heh-heh!! ;) :D

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Well guess I'm keeping my wireless M$ Intellimouse. Thing has 4 buttons plus a scroll wheel. Go figure.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
All in all, the rumor mongering community is disappointed by the keynote! Steve owes us one!!

The updates are nothing special, but not toooo bad... BUT the price is a shame.
...and... ONE mouse button? Again? Come on... this is not the stone age!

Analog Kid

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2003
Not bad, all told... PBs arrived in about the form we expected.

What's with lithium batteries in the mouse though?!

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Ooooh, the first to bitch

So I get up for work and decide to peek on what Apple announced before anything else.

PowerBooks- yawn, pretty much expected, Nice that they're using the 7457s. Immediate availability is cool.

Panther- no October shipping announcement, very pissed. Still by end of year.

Wireless stuff- underwhelming, still a one button mouse.

All in all, yawn

(edit) typos

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
Originally posted by esheep2001
And the single button mouse! Yeah, like that's gonna sell well! Expect to see those as standard equipment on emacs soon. Keyboard? Well I might think about that but the loss of the USB ports on the desktop may negate the wireless capability.
wireless mice are useful ... wireless keyboards less so.

Any more than just a speed bump for the 12"? FW800? USB2? DVI? Anything even slightly cutting edge?
Did you bother to read the notes? for example: "Up to 2GB DDR RAM 333MHz. Radeon Mobility, DVI, FW800, 2 USB, Airport Extreme" on the 1.25GHz 15.2" PowerBook. The 17" is at 1.33GHz. Sheesh.

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
bt mouse/kb

It says the original BT USB adapter sold thru apple isn't supported.

what a gip!

and only one button option too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.