Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Apple-Expo.tv posted movie clips of Steve Jobs during the Apple Expo Keynote speech this morning. Including:

Demo of iChat
OS X Only Announcement
Rendezvous Demo

-the Rendezvous enabled iTunes will not be available until the "first half of next year".
- Supporting Dual Boot systems (OS 9 and X) takes a lot of resources.

Key Quote from Steve Jobs: "And so all the new models of Macs that we introduce, including faster versions of the current models, after Jan 1st will only boot into Mac OS X."

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
Re: Apple Expo Paris Keynote Clips

Interesting quote indeed....

Key Quote from Steve Jobs:

"And so all the new models of Macs that we introduce"

Translation: New Mac's introduced that ARE NOT based on the current models.

"including faster versions of the current models"

Translation: Current models will also get speed bumps...

"after Jan 1st will only boot into Mac OS X."

Heh good news... I've been 'System Folder Free' for 9+ months now... and I like the hint about 'totally new' macs too...

Dave

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
Did anybody notice Steve talking about home products from Philips AND Apple taking advantage of Redezvous? Maybe he's talking about current Macs.. or not... ;)

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by dricci
Did anybody notice Steve talking about home products from Philips AND Apple taking advantage of Redezvous? Maybe he's talking about current Macs.. or not... ;)

As a total home theater geek... I guess I qualify since I have an 8' screen in my family room! :D

Anyway as a total home theater geek I'm still PISSED at Philips for not supporting the Mac with their Pronto Remote.... :mad:

Dave

Arch_mac

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2002
Charlotte, NC
still stuck

I am still stuck in deciding to get a powerbook now or wait a little longer. But when I read:

Key Quote from Steve Jobs: "And so all the new models of Macs that we introduce, including faster versions of the current models, after Jan 1st will only boot into Mac OS X."

It makes my thoughts worse. Every rumor site (US and Foreign) that I have seen have been forecasting new Powerbooks. With the education discount going to Sept 25, I figure that they will not announce any new powerbooks at these expos. Why announce them now...it would go against their purpose of the discount. I figure apple is trying to sell as much as they can before then, so that they can come out with a new model before christmas. If I wait till then and nothing, I loose 100 dollars, and I am still forced to make a buy.

Another thing. Apple is selling 10.2 right. How come they have not updated their site to reflect that the powerbooks are shipped pre installed with 10.2. The site says they come with 10.1. That makes me wonder if they are waiting on a new update on the powerbook itself or waiting for 10.2.1.

I need a powerbook for school. I am holding off as much as I can. I could use it now. As far as I can go is Oct. 1. There is no way I can go till Jan. 2003.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Re: Apple Expo Paris Keynote Clips

Originally posted by arn

Here's what I do not understand. Apple has the most loyal customer base o the planet. It has the longest lifecycle of hardware of any computer company.

Why not after the release of singleboot computers in early 03, then work on aftermarket dual boot and iTunes resources and whatever else was not justified to get a profitable product out the door. If people are charged $10-20 a pop for little utilities and updates Apple could get a revenue stream from boxes that are currently dead to it. Also people who are forced to use specific hardware and software for reasons other than money will do updates to keep them happy and Apple in the chips.

Imagine all the people who would pay $20 for a minor comatibility update to MacDraw or some of the other earlier MacApps they still use (for reasons special to them). Imagine all the single boot buyers that would pay a premium for dual boot.

Software base station
WiFi point manager
whatever

Rocketman

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
>As a total home theater geek... I guess I qualify since I have an 8' screen in my family room! :D

So do we!

That iChat video is pretty funny. I spent an hour on DUM getting the 17MB file. It's pretty much worth it, especially if you like sound effects. :D

McDonalds, anyone? :p

shadowfax0

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2002
What's the caption for this? (the actual one guys, I could think of a 1000 things to stick on the bottom :)

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 1,854

lenz

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2002
Do you guys realise the implications of a Rendezvous ready iTunes? this must certainly mean that there will be some sort of "digital-hub" device that ties in to all this. My hopes are a surround sound system based on the soundsticks.

DannyZR2

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2001
Texas
From the Press release:

“Apple and Philips share a vision for the future,” said Gerard Kleisterlee, CEO of Royal Philips Electronics. “We both believe that consumers want devices throughout the home to talk to each other, so that, for example, the music stored in iTunes on your Mac can play through the Philips stereo system in your living room, or the photos stored in iPhoto can be displayed as a stunning slideshow on your Philips Flat TV. Rendezvous helps realize this dream. Philips is particularly pleased that Apple has adopted an open standard and architecture for Rendezvous, and we will support Rendezvous in future Philips products.”

Press Release

etoiles

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2002
Where the air is crisp
Re: Re: Apple Expo Paris Keynote Clips

Originally posted by DaveGee
Interesting quote indeed....

Key Quote from Steve Jobs:

Dave

wohooo, so we will get new macs sometimes in the future (but not before next year) that won't be based on the current models. Wow, I was worried there for a while, now I feel much better...and damn, current models will get a speedbump too ? What is this, Christmas 2003 ?

Me, bitter ?

;)

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
What I infer from that statement is that there will be new Macs at MWSF '03... but I could have told you that without picking apart some minor remark of Steve's. I mean, duh.

dobbin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2002
England
My caption

Given Apple's ability in the last couple of months to rip me off and pi$$ me off (.mac and 10.2), my caption for the above picture would be "Think Different? Not anymore!"

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
Originally posted by nickmcghie
fast versions of current models eh? sounds good to me :D

he said faster not fast.
technically if they speedbump it by an amazing 100 mhz again voila there you have them.....Faster versions of current models.
Also that means still no G5

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
Originally posted by DannyZR2
From the Press release:

“Apple and Philips share a vision for the future,” said Gerard Kleisterlee, CEO of Royal Philips Electronics. “We both believe that consumers want devices throughout the home to talk to each other, so that, for example, the music stored in iTunes on your Mac can play through the Philips stereo system in your living room, or the photos stored in iPhoto can be displayed as a stunning slideshow on your Philips Flat TV. Rendezvous helps realize this dream. Philips is particularly pleased that Apple has adopted an open standard and architecture for Rendezvous, and we will support Rendezvous in future Philips products.”

Press Release

oh yeah that would be great.......I want to let my refrigerator communicate with my PM and say .......hey buddy yer flat out of milk
yeah that would be neat :) uh

rugby

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
chicago
ftp://ftp.ipv6.org/pub/rfc/rfc1924.txt

and http://www.ipv6.org

IP addresses as we know it are 32-bit addresses (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx). We are running out of those addresses fast. IPv6 will alleviate that problem (it does more than that but I digress)
IPv6 will introduce 128-bit addresses which if they were written out in long form would look like (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx). However, since remembering that many digits may prove a bit daunting for people they have come up with a summary scheme that will reduce addresses down to (1080::8:800:200C:417A) incorporating hexadecimal values in place of numbers. While this may still look complicated, it's far easier than the entire #.

Now, we come to Rendezvous. Go here http://www.zeroconf.org/ and learn about the technology Rendezvous is based on. Fascinating stuff, like auto-discovery or devices on local subnets and interoperability of different computers on levels that are mindblowing. Here comes the problem. IP addresses. Since most people have to run NAT on their routers at home (for broadband connections of course) these devices aren't accessible to anything outside. Now, enter IPv6 and all 100 billion IP addresses (rough guess). All of a sudden, every device in your house can have a public IP address (not 10.x.x.x, 172.16.x.x or 192.168.x.x) and everything is accessible from everywhere. If you put a meatloaf in the oven, your oven can utilize your broadband connection to get specific cooking instructions from the manufacturer's database. If you have tv problems, the manufacturer can get into your tv from their main system and check it out.

This is just a brief summarization of what's possible. I would definitely recommend reading those 3 sites for some absolutely fascinating reading.

Originally posted by irmongoose

? whatcha mean?

irmongoose

ibjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2002
New Zealand
Re: Re: Apple Expo Paris Keynote Clips

"including faster versions of the current models"

Translation: Current models will also get speed bumps...
wohooo, so we will get new macs sometimes in the future (but not before next year) that won't be based on the current models. Wow, I was worried there for a while, now I feel much better...and damn, current models will get a speedbump too ? What is this, Christmas 2003 ?

hmmm, did i miss something here??

i think all Steve Jobs meant was all new models, including speed bumped models will be OS X boot only as of Jan 2003. i.e the new policy won't just apply to new designs but modified existing designs as well. that's it.
of course there will be new models sometime

i_b_joshua

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Re: My caption

Originally posted by dobbin
Given Apple's ability in the last couple of months to rip me off and pi$$ me off (.mac and 10.2), my caption for the above picture would be "Think Different? Not anymore!"

on one hand, i can see apple doing this just to keep a nest egg to stay afloat in this bad time in high tech...and that apple does not make throw away computers like pcs like the woz has mentioned

but some moves apple has made recently, that you mention, do make many of the faithful scratch their head and wonder if they are relying a little too much on our goodwill and running out of ideas and products in their pipeline

in the two years since i have seen rumors here and the reactions later after a product comes out, .mac and 10.2 at full price have been the most vilified thing apple has done...next to the flower power imac

at least mac os does not cost as much as windows which sells for 200 at office depot where i live...i can get is somewhat cheaper at the college bookstore, but windows is always overpriced and some windows upgrades are steps down

hopefully, os x is getting better and better fast enough for most mac users...woz mentions os x is not there for him yet and i agree...maybe next release

i keep hearing about wishful thinkers mentioning a simpler os x that is faster and not nearly as ram hungry and that would be nice if it's true (for me, something more streamlined, less fancy on looks, but faster would be just right)

every mac user i have spoken with hate the dock and after having used it, i don't like it either

i can't wait to try out jaguar for a period of time to see how fast it seems to work

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
also, at first i thought the icons being more realistic were great to look at and the genie effect was amazing, but my friend who has all types of powermacs, cubes, imacs, etc finds os x slow

and i am yet to find a mac that runs os x fast...those icons take some time to get to the program from the dock...but 1 gig of ram is the most i have ever dealt with concerining os x

there are 1.5 gig and 2 gig ram capability macs out there and that would be nice to see how much of a difference that makes in speeding things up...but maybe it's something else like bus speed...my pc friends who have tried os x mention how slow macs feel when they use it...a complaint i never heard with os 9 or before

ibjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2002
New Zealand
10.2 at full price have been the most vilified thing apple has done...next to the flower power imac

i think that just goes to show how petty some mac freaks can be.

i didn't really mind the flower power. i preferred the dalmation myself but i could see people really digging the flower power.

actually while i'm on the topic i'm still not keen on the new imacs base. i think the cube was much cooler

woops sorry off topic

i_b_joshua

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
Originally posted by rugby
ftp://ftp.ipv6.org/pub/rfc/rfc1924.txt

and http://www.ipv6.org

IP addresses as we know it are 32-bit addresses (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx). We are running out of those addresses fast. IPv6 will alleviate that problem (it does more than that but I digress)
IPv6 will introduce 128-bit addresses which if they were written out in long form would look like (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx). However, since remembering that many digits may prove a bit daunting for people they have come up with a summary scheme that will reduce addresses down to (1080::8:800:200C:417A) incorporating hexadecimal values in place of numbers. While this may still look complicated, it's far easier than the entire #.

Now, we come to Rendezvous. Go here http://www.zeroconf.org/ and learn about the technology Rendezvous is based on. Fascinating stuff, like auto-discovery or devices on local subnets and interoperability of different computers on levels that are mindblowing. Here comes the problem. IP addresses. Since most people have to run NAT on their routers at home (for broadband connections of course) these devices aren't accessible to anything outside. Now, enter IPv6 and all 100 billion IP addresses (rough guess). All of a sudden, every device in your house can have a public IP address (not 10.x.x.x, 172.16.x.x or 192.168.x.x) and everything is accessible from everywhere. If you put a meatloaf in the oven, your oven can utilize your broadband connection to get specific cooking instructions from the manufacturer's database. If you have tv problems, the manufacturer can get into your tv from their main system and check it out.

This is just a brief summarization of what's possible. I would definitely recommend reading those 3 sites for some absolutely fascinating reading.

mmmm I smell some great hacking possibilities here..
Isnt this going to create major security issues?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.