Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office today granted an Apple patent, originally filed in April of 2012, that deals with eye-tracking technology used to control a user interface on a computer or smartphone (via AppleInsider). The specific invention involves a method for ensuring users do not lose track of a cursor while controlling their devices through eye-tracking movements.

The patent, with inventor credit going to David P. Julian, describes future Mac, iPhone, and iPad devices that could include the new camera technology, allowing movements of a user's eye to translate to the movement of a cursor on screen. The patent doesn't go into deep detail describing any further practical use of the "gaze control" technology, though it does mention in passing the possible use such advancements could have in vehicles, game consoles, and entertainment systems.

Screenshot-127.png
The patent mostly attempts to battle the Troxler Effect, an optical effect that causes objects in the periphery to begin to disappear when a user focuses on a particular point on-screen. This is a particularly troubling issue with retina-tracking technology, which requires a user to focus on various on-screen interface prompts to properly work.

Apple's invention seeks to counteract the Troxler Effect by monitoring eye movements and blinking to estimate when a user is likely to be losing track of a mouse pointer or other cursor due to the effect. The system would automatically move the cursor to bring it back to visibility.
In certain configurations, the eye tracking system may persistently render the movable indicator wherever the user looks in the GUI. This rendering of the movable indicator may be accurate to the degree that the movable indicator becomes a stabilized retinal image with respect to the user's eyes. As such, the movable indicator may fade with respect to the user's perception of the GUI. In other words, the movable indicator may no longer be visible to the user. In such situations, it is desirable to restore the user's perception of the movable indicator to counteract this fading effect. Accordingly, the eye tracking system described herein may automatically alter the position, appearance, or both of the movable indicator so that it is no longer a stabilized retinal image and can be perceived by the user.
A handful of older patents filed by the company have been released by the Patent and Trademark Office as of late, including a transforming home-button-to-gaming-joystick just last week. Like all other patents, the possibility of the eye-tracking tech showing up anytime soon in an Apple product is very slim, but is an interesting glimpse into the company's possible future nonetheless.

Article Link: Apple Patents Eye-Tracking Software Feature for Possible Use on Mac and iOS

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
I wish Apple would just invent something to tap into the thought circuits in the brain. That way, we will never need a physical I/O device or displays. It would be great if we could just implant the processor, co-processor and baseband chips directly into the neural system. :apple:

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
I wish Apple would just invent something to tap into the thought circuits in the brain. That way, we will never need a physical I/O device or displays. It would be great if we could just implant the processor, co-processor and baseband chips directly into the neural system. :apple:

That will be iPhone 10s. But you will need to have it activated at an Apple store. :)

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
They could use this to also control how far the mouse can move in any given direction. IE, you can't accidentally move the mouse beyond the section of the screen that it sees you're looking at.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
another instance of apple throwing ideas at the patent office, despite prior art, and the patent office goign "MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and approving it.

it would never hold up in court.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing

So the Borg Collective runs OS X. No wonder they're so efficient.;) Resistance is futile.

smilo998

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2015
Eye tech

I would have thought, seeing as Apple have purchased Beats they will add a fold away HUD accessory to use on apple headphoners if you want to much like Google glasses.
Unlike Google failure glasses many more people wear headphones of one sort or another. HUD Can then be built in or addded as an accessory with a built in mic for siri activation.

Few situations where you need a HUD but not headphones.

Will be huge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.