Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Faces Another Class-Action MacBook Pro ‘Flexgate’ Lawsuit

TiggrToo

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2017
Out there...way out there
Sorry, I didn't drink the Koolaid TiggrT00!
You can stay within the Apple echochamber; but I choose not too - especially since I can get better technology for significantly less that will actually be useable since I am not partial to just one OS that just doesn't cut it for the money that was spent on it!!!

Got a new MacbookPro Friday. 1.5 hours later I had my old one fully migrated to the new one, no apps needed reinstalling and I was back at work picking up exactly where I’d left off using JetBrains Rider to do a build and push the latest commit to the remote repo.

Last time I needed a new Windows PC I had to reinstall everything and reconfigure a heap of connections spread over at least a day, and even then I spent a week finding fiddly stuff I’d missed out.

I handed my older Pro back to Helpdesk today because I knew I was good to go.

Time is money and right there I saved about 50% of the cost of the upgrade.

Even got a year free of Apple TV+ that is held out on in the bargain.

You call it kool-aid, I call it being judicious with my time and energy - whilst the migration ran I spent time with my wife. And that’s priceless.

Comment

bhmm

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2018
Got a new MacbookPro Friday. 1.5 hours later I had my old one fully migrated to the new one, no apps needed reinstalling and I was back at work picking up exactly where I’d left off using JetBrains Rider to do a build and push the latest commit to the remote repo.

Last time I needed a new Windows PC I had to reinstall everything and reconfigure a heap of connections spread over at least a day, and even then I spent a week finding fiddly stuff I’d missed out.

I handed my older Pro back to Helpdesk today because I knew I was good to go.

Time is money and right there I saved about 50% of the cost of the upgrade.

Even got a year free of Apple TV+ that is held out on in the bargain.

You call it kool-aid, I call it being judicious with my time and energy - whilst the migration ran I spent time with my wife. And that’s priceless.

Awesome! Good for you!!! Sounds like you didn't have to pay for it either. For those of us that do; we are tired of dealing and paying for crappy products after paying premium prices initially and being screwed by Apple.

Comment

bhmm

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2018
It's now a full year...

Does me no good now - how ironic though as I asked exactly for this last year and was denied multiple times! So unless Apple wants to make good on it by fixing the MBP they know is defective on so many levels for me now , I would pay for Apple Care+ at this point, otherwise it doesn't help me at this point and Apple lost my family and others who aren't so fond of their quality and pricing lately!

Comment

sracer

macrumors G3
Apr 9, 2010
Prescott Valley, AZ
Another day, another lawsuit. When will these money-grabbing fiends stop?

Thank you for pitching in on #12. 😆

Stay calm people... We're only at GateCon 12

Here's the typical cycle for problems reported on Apple products:

1. A few members post reports of the problem, report it to Apple
2. No response from Apple
3. Increased number of people report the issue
4. No response from Apple
5. Apple apologists dismiss the reports as very rare, the result of trolling, or exaggeration by drama queens
6. Even more reports of the problem
7. No response from Apple
8. News of the problem hits blogs
9. Apple apologists dismiss the blogs as simply engaging in clickbait
10. No response from Apple
11. Those affected by the issue threaten a class-action lawsuit
12. Apple apologists decry the "sue happy" nature of American consumers
13. Apple acknowledges the legitimacy of the problem
14. Apple apologists are silent
15. Apple release an update to correct the problem
or
15. They set up a "program" to address the problem.
16. Apple gains some positive publicity
17. Apple apologists applaud Apple for doing the "right thing". (for an issue that they said from day-1 was not actually an issue)
18. First hand experience with the “program” reveals very strict guidelines and restrictions that greatly reduce the number of affected customers that can participate in the program.

Comment

Northern Man

Suspended
Aug 25, 2013
Thank you for pitching in on #12. 😆

Stay calm people... We're only at GateCon 12

Here's the typical cycle for problems reported on Apple products:

1. A few members post reports of the problem, report it to Apple
2. No response from Apple
3. Increased number of people report the issue
4. No response from Apple
5. Apple apologists dismiss the reports as very rare, the result of trolling, or exaggeration by drama queens
6. Even more reports of the problem
7. No response from Apple
8. News of the problem hits blogs
9. Apple apologists dismiss the blogs as simply engaging in clickbait
10. No response from Apple
11. Those affected by the issue threaten a class-action lawsuit
12. Apple apologists decry the "sue happy" nature of American consumers
13. Apple acknowledges the legitimacy of the problem
14. Apple apologists are silent
15. Apple release an update to correct the problem
or
15. They set up a "program" to address the problem.
16. Apple gains some positive publicity
17. Apple apologists applaud Apple for doing the "right thing". (for an issue that they said from day-1 was not actually an issue)
18. First hand experience with the “program” reveals very strict guidelines and restrictions that greatly reduce the number of affected customers that can participate in the program.
As usual this cycle list applies to another Apple duck and hide screw the customer shenanigan. Yet the rabid devotees will say you are wrong, biased and completely off base. No mind, you are correct and they are unwilling to face reality.

Comment

TiggrToo

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2017
Out there...way out there
Awesome! Good for you!!! Sounds like you didn't have to pay for it either. For those of us that do; we are tired of dealing and paying for crappy products after paying premium prices initially and being screwed by Apple.

If it helps any, later this year I’ll be buying myself a 2020 iMac and will migrate off my current personal 2015 MacBookPro onto it using the same process.

Then I’ll pay myself for a replacement battery for the 2015 MBP then repurpose it.

Comment

ankeet227

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2020
MacBook Pro 2017 with Touch Bar(Bought in mid September 2017)

I have a complete blackout screen with some lighting on display(entirely black). Within one year of purchase i had exactly same issue and Apple replaced it for free as it was covered. (This was before September 2018)

I purchased extended warranty too but it got expired on 30th September 2020 and I am facing this within 15 days of expiring.(this is really disappointing)

Why there is no repair program for these models(like the 2016 models) as all have the same technology used. Also my screen was replaced in the same time frame and obviously the same available technology was used to fix my Laptop.

What should I do as it seems so unfair that the product was faulty from Day 1 of purchase and now ~800$ to fix it and the fixed display also can again go black at any time(per my experience it has done twice)

Comment

fishferbrains

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2008
Another MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017) out-of-the-blue flexgate victim here. It's maddening that even through a "program" for 13', 15" owners are stuck. I've been tolerant of so much, but over $1200 CAD for a "repair" is insulting.

Comment

rajeevpuri

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2020
2016 MBP failures I've had so far:
- Keyboard problem (repeating keys)
Although it was covered under the 4 year free replacement program, the service centre did not tell me the fact and sold me an expensive Apple Care extended warranty program, which I could never use. The problem of keyboard came twice and it was replaced both times, without asking questions.
- screen failure (backlight)
This problem came only after getting the keyboard replaced second time. But in the beginning, it was mild only and unnoticed as I thought its some software feature to show blinking wallpaper. Later on the white stage light effects started and now more frequently it appears.

Compared to the failures I've had with my 2012 MBA:
- NONE, Except battery replacement after 4 years.

Apple products by Steve Jobs stood for quality hardware. But now it is in a race to make devices smaller and smaller, irrespective of the underlying design problems leading to failures in later stages.

Hope the Law-suite filed for FlexGate problem resolves early.
Anyone having any idea how much time courts take to resolve the case and give final judgement ?

Comment

Cycling Asia

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2016
2016 MBP failures I've had so far:
- Keyboard problem (repeating keys)
Although it was covered under the 4 year free replacement program, the service centre did not tell me the fact and sold me an expensive Apple Care extended warranty program, which I could never use. The problem of keyboard came twice and it was replaced both times, without asking questions.
- screen failure (backlight)
This problem came only after getting the keyboard replaced second time. But in the beginning, it was mild only and unnoticed as I thought its some software feature to show blinking wallpaper. Later on the white stage light effects started and now more frequently it appears.

Compared to the failures I've had with my 2012 MBA:
- NONE, Except battery replacement after 4 years.

Apple products by Steve Jobs stood for quality hardware. But now it is in a race to make devices smaller and smaller, irrespective of the underlying design problems leading to failures in later stages.

Hope the Law-suite filed for FlexGate problem resolves early.
Anyone having any idea how much time courts take to resolve the case and give final judgement ?
We're Mac failure buddies. You and I have suffered the same failures. My work MBP with TB has now suffered the "blinken lights" failure. Now the right half of the Touch Bar no longer lights up and the left half is slowly dying. Over $1000 AUD to repair - which is a f**king joke if you ask me as a google search will show many other users suffer the same hardware problem. My solution... masking tape with the Fn keys written on it with pen. about $0.50 to "fix" it.

I'm a long term apple user that will never buy another piece of apple hardware.

Comment

Heyoka

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2020
I have a 2016 MacBook Pro... the screen started getting issues in January 2020 and stopped working. Exactly same issues that are described with flexgate. I use it with a TFT or TV now.

Very early on in getting the MBP in November 2017, the left speaker stopped working.

Using Logic Pro X, it often underperformed.

I'm searching for a solution for what I can do.. I wish AppleStore would simply accept a decent trade in price. I'm based in China.. and I really don't know what they'll say when I take it in.

The previous MacBook Pro's I've had for nearly 20 years have been great and lasted so long.

Last edited:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.