Carrier Apple fan boy plz help!! (buy an ATT iphone 5s vs buying an unlocked)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by itouchaddicted, Aug 15, 2013.

1. itouchaddicted, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2013

itouchaddicted macrumors regular

So here is my situation guys; I am a college student and currently have iphone 4 whose power and home button is all whacked up, I am using assistive touch feature on it to hold me till September 10. I am currently on walmart's $30 prepaid tmobile plan.

I really really want the iphone 5S, 16 gigs as soon as it comes out. So here is my question, should I

1) Buy At&t version on release date, use it for more than 14 days, get the service cancelled, pay ETF and then use my tmobile sim.
    2) Or should I just buy the factory unlocked iphone right away and use my tmobile sim in it.

Which one will save me money? I think buying At&T version would save me $100 but not really sure.

Thanks for your help!!:apple:

2. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

One thing you should bear in mind is that the unlocked version may not be available straight away.
    Also, I'm not sure, but do AT&T have a policy where you have to be a customer for a certain amount of time before you can cancel? I'm not sure, but you may want to check :)

3. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

You wouldn't 'just' be paying the ETF to AT&T; you'd also be paying the difference in the subsidized price of the phone.

Or I think they give you an option to return it.

4. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Did you call?
    In the UK unlocked phones are available at launch, but from what I read on here not always in the US.

5. jent macrumors 6502a

jent

Doesn't AT&T charge some $36 new account fee? And an $18 upgrade fee for existing users? I personally haven't done the math but I can't imagine it would be worth it to go through the hoops you mentioned.

6. Bear macrumors G3

Option 2 is the way to go. You may not be able to get AT&T to unlock the phone that quickly.

At this point that shouldn't be an issue in the US. And if the unlocked isn't available right away, the OP can always get the T-Mobile version.

7. CEmajr macrumors 601

Why not just get the Tmobile one from Tmobile? When you factor in the activation fees and prorated bill charges then you'll be paying around full price anyway if you get it from AT&T.

8. rockitdog macrumors 68020

Yeah, that's what I was wondering. The scheming that people come up with around here is very entertaining.

9. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just get the tmo version? :confused: