Apple fans do you just want a 4" Screen as Android did it first?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gadget123, Nov 28, 2011.

1. gadget123 macrumors 68000

As the title says the poll on the front suggests more wanted it until Android few had tried screens that big. So if your an Apple fan why do you want something or a standard Android set?

I'm sure I read there is little advantage over a 3.5" to 4" screen other than saying "well it's a little bigger". When I put it to people here before I said what about when phones had 2.6" screens not so long ago? and they almost dismiss the question like Android is now the standard.

I do wonder if Android relased a 7" Galaxy with a telephone on board if people would buy into it. I can still remember when phones were getting smaller and more portable and then Nokia started making ones the size of a portable tv.

All those wanting a 4" screen should look up the dictionary on what "mobile" is. I'd happily drop back to an LG Viewty 3" screen as even in todays market for me thats big enough for casual browsing or Facebook.

2. b24pgg macrumors 65816

Actually, I think most Apple fans will explicitly not want a 4" screen now simply for the fact that it's been done on Android.

3. Drakko3546 macrumors newbie

I'd still stay with a 3.5" although a 4" may be bigger. For one, it's easier to operate it with one hand because your thumb can access the whole screen. Up to 3.8" is enough, everything else bigger is "too big" IMO :)

To add, the user above makes a good statement. Most complain Android's handsets are too big anyways; most new popular Androids have 4.0"+ (look at the 4.65" Galaxy Nexus :D).

4. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Where do you stop though? Do you know Android phones are going to 4.3" and above now?

If Apple do release a 4" next summer then trust me, it's already dated.

5. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

I'm very happy with the size of the phone itself. The only way I want a bigger screen is if the keep the same overall size...

6. gadget123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Chances are the people asking for a bigger screen DON'T own a Tablet, Ipad 1/2 or Kindle ereader type device as they would see you come home with to your big Iphone screen or you take it to work and your phone is small to fit in the pocket.

I'd be amazed if Apple release a 4" screen device that's not bigger than the current iphone.

----------

Not possible.

The selling point is likely to be it will be thinner and tear drop like Ipad 2 but the physical size will be bigger if they go 4". Otherwise you have those ugly mock ups with thin bezels which is so un Apple like.

7. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

you know what i want? i want a screen thats not going to be yellow. or blue. or green. or blotchy. or any of the weird crap that is always associated with iphone screens. when they finally get that right, we can up the screen size.

8. b24pgg macrumors 65816

Yeah, I'm really not a fan of those. I checked out the Droid RAZR (4.3") at a VZW store and it's just too big. My OG Droid (3.5") sometimes feels a bit too small.

I think 4" is the sweet spot.

9. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

Meh, I'm not interested in 4" screens at all. I'd buy an iPhone Nano if Apple made one.

10. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

I'd welcome a 4" screen size. 4.3" is pushing it. Anything above that is no no.

11. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Yes, it is possible, get your facts straight

12. edk99 macrumors 6502a

The current screen size works for me. I would not be upset if the screen size stayed the same for the next iPhone.

13. SporkLover macrumors 6502

Half inch longer and half in wider. That's what it will take for a four inch screen. It won't make the phone unmanageable.

14. heyloo macrumors 6502

I like the current size of the iPhone. Sure if the screen expanded a bit within the current physical outside dimensions by a few millimeters, I wouldn't mind it. I personally like the current size.

15. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

I don't care I'd android did it first 3.5 works fine for me if I wouldn't have an iPad it might different , but I doubt it is kind annoying watching shows on my iPhone when it gets interrupted by SMS ( like when you watching Netflix ) you can't just respond right away you will have to buffer again

16. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm quite happy with the current size screen. The whole device fits nicely in my hand and typing is easy.

I'd have to try a 4" iPhone before I'd decide I actually want one.

17. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

a 4 inch screen is an innovation? don't make us laugh...

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No, but it will make it difficult to pocket. Have you used a phone that large? I'm guessing no. I have and it's too big for my tastes.

19. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I want the 4" screen only if apple can somehow maintain the battery life it is now.

20. AaronTrieu macrumors member

i would like a larger screen to see more content at once, but i just took my phone and held it normally and then i tapped the 4 corners of the screen. I can comfortably span the entire space with one hand. If the screen was larger i COULD do that, but i think it was be a little more a stretch. I think females with smaller hands may not like it. My initial reaction is, yes a larger screen would be better for web browsing and videos. but as an overall phone, 3.5 is perfect.

21. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

I'm not against a 4" screen, but I also think it would have to be done "border to border" style to keep the smaller form factor and they'd need to figure out how to do LTE + 4" screen without making the phone a giant brick.

I think it will get there, and if anyone can do it Apple can as they have aesthetic gods designing their phones. So we'll see how it goes.

With my experience using a RAZR I thought the form factor just felt "too wide" which is another reason I returned it. I think the Apple screen is a solid in between.

So we'll see. I'm not against it, but I don't want it to cause awkward aesthetics or feel.

22. tanhm macrumors regular

tanhm

I am happy with 3.5 inch screen. It is small enough for us to use daily.

Somebody wants big screen to play movies, games, etc....but they forget it is just a phone :rolleyes:

23. SporkLover macrumors 6502

You'd be guessing wrong. I've had four that size. I wear normal sized clothing (not gangster baggy not super tight) and I've never had a problem pocketing those phones. My last one even had an otterbox on it. No issues at all.

Four inch screened phones seem daunting, but they really aren't that much physically larger than the iPhone.

24. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Nothing wrong with wanting to do that with your phone. I mean one reason I love my iphone is the good game availability.

But... personally, I think it does fine at 3.5", a bigger screen isn't going to add much for me, but a bigger phone would detract for me.

So I'd prefer it stay the same. Up to 4" I'd be willing to give it a try I think but any bigger than that they'd have to have some other serious thing to get me to consider the phone (I'd probably just buy a 4S or keep my 4 if they made it big enough for a > 4" screen).

25. SporkLover macrumors 6502

One thing is clear from this thread. A choice would be nice, although most iPhone users would swallow the pill one way or the other (larger or staying with 3.5)