Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richard5mith

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2002
I believe 2 cents was expected, and they made 4. Per Share. So that's not bad.

It might not be much, but the fact is, they're still MAKING money. That's more than some companies can say (*cough* AOL *cough*).

Macurious

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2003
Comparison

There's still some work to be done. Dell is routinely posting a .20 cents a shore profit and holds a market value of approximately 15x that of apple. This is apple's real competition.

Mr. MacPhisto

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2003
Re: Comparison

Originally posted by Macurious
There's still some work to be done. Dell is routinely posting a .20 cents a shore profit and holds a market value of approximately 15x that of apple. This is apple's real competition.

Dell is not Apple's real competition. Dell is nothing more than a reseller. Apple's competition is really MS and other PC corps. Fact is, Apple is one of the few computer companies posting a profit now.

While Dell's value may be high, let's remember that there are more Apple badged computers in the world than any other label. Dell controls the PC market, but can't control their profit margins as well. I don't see Dell as being overly strong competition - especially since their product has gotten worse over the past few years.

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
47% of the revenue is coming from international sales. I wonder if this is the sign of things to come as far as the economy. Remember the Asian markets were way way down 6 months before the Dot-com bubble burst.

daedelgt

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by NavyIntel007
47% of the revenue is coming from international sales. I wonder if this is the sign of things to come as far as the economy. Remember the Asian markets were way way down 6 months before the Dot-com bubble burst.

Do you mean to say that because their market is doing so well, we are turning around?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Did anyone else listen to the conference call? It seemed to me that Fred Anderson was even more Sphinx-like then usual. He would not even hint at, let alone comment about, new products, including the music download service or CPUs. He responded to a question about talks with Vivendi by reading the press release issued today denying the whole thing, but nothing more. In fact it seems to me that this press release was issued today just so that Anderson would not have answer any questions about this.

The entire tone of this conference call seemed more mum than usual. Which, of course, may be significant...

suzerain

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2000
Beijing, China
Originally posted by NavyIntel007

Just FYI: This isn't really much different than usual.

Apple's sales have almost been 50/50 international/American for quite a while, as far as I can recollect.

I've been saying for a long time that Apple needs to market more aggressively in other countries, because the American market is saturated.

Put another way, it's a lot easier to get first-time buyers than switchers.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
with the computer market hurting in the bad economy, I'd say this is very good news. Not huge profits, but they're making money at a time when purchases of so-called luxury goods are down and they continue to fall further behind intel in the speed wars. My point being that if they can still be profitable now, things could get really good if/ when the economy turns around and if/ when the 970 closes the speed gap with intel.

Titian

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2002
Switzerland
One thing I learned in my 20 years experience in the "financial world" is to never believe in financial results. They can be legaly "adjusted" to the circumstances just like interpretating a statistic.
For me these results mean not much.

dstorey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2002
could be spin to try to get people to buy powermacs now but 'Looking ahead to the third quarter of 2003, we expect revenue to be relatively flat with the March quarter and expect a slight profit for the quarter." doesnt sound too good for a 970 intro does it, if you belive what they say anyway...with 970's introduced at the end of 2nd to beginning of 3rd quater i'd expect sales to be much higher than this march when the powermac sales must have been pretty much flat, keep hearing about iMac not doing too well, no 5 gig iPod, just shipping 17" powerbooks and i cant see the iBooks flying off the shelf last month with them being near due for revision. All in all it was quite impressive to see a profit with all the supply chain problems and lack of competitive powermac...

wymer100

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2002
profits

Actually, Apple (and AOL-TW for that matter) *did* bring in more money than they spent during Q4 2002. Apple and AOL had big one-time right downs that got charged to their finances. If you look at the numbers before these charges, they both had profits.

Apple's financial picture is amazingly great given the current financial situation. Lots of cash and very little debt. Think about this: Apple could lose $100mil every quarter for the next 10 years and still have money in the bank (even without interest). :) That's a sign of financial strength.

Apple is really positioning itself to gain marketshare once markets improve. They are getting into the conscienceness of the consumer. Five years ago, noone would have thought about talking about mac products. Now, you even have people like CNET and TechTV talking about macs. While not always in a good light, at least apple is getting press now. Bad companies die in economies like these. Apple may not be gaining marketshare right now, but they are setting themselves up for a good run in the next couple of years. Should be fun to watch.

deepkid

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
chicago
Interest income saves the day again

Originally posted by Macrumors
Apple posted a profit of $14 million on revenues of $1.475 billion.
711,000 CPUs shipped

Please note that interest income is what has been helping Apple to avoid reporting losses in recent quarters. (Interest on that $4.52 billion in the bank.)

It's a great safety net, but over time they'll have to introduce/investigate more revenue streams to hopefully supplant dependence on it.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by Abercrombieboy
The only thing keeping them going is two things...
iBooks and Powerbooks.
hopefully a new iPod will bring that back into the running, but ultimately, "what else is new?"

apple's been best at laptops and only laptops for some time now.

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2003
doesnt sound too good for a 970 intro does it, if you belive what they say anyway...with 970's introduced at the end of 2nd to beginning of 3rd quater

3rd quarter for Apple is April through June, that's what they were giving guidance for. The 970 won't be a factor, except that Power Mac sales will continue to suck as customers wait for better machines. 4th quarter should be much more interesting, assuming an optimistic 970 schedule (announced at WWDC, shipping less than 2 months later).

KingJobs

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2003
Q1 or Q2?

How come Apple is calling this the 2nd Quarter of 2003 when all the other companies are calling this the 1st Quater?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Originally posted by DHagan4755
Maybe their fiscal calendar starts earlier than other companies.

Not really "earlier" -- a fiscal year can start whenever a company wants it to start. Fiscal years are unrelated to calendar years.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by jholzner
Well, thank god their back in the black after two quarters of red ink!!

Bah, last quarter was nothing really.
They had a restructing charge, don't you hate those? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Titian
One thing I learned in my 20 years experience in the "financial world" is to never believe in financial results. They can be legaly "adjusted" to the circumstances just like interpretating a statistic.
For me these results mean not much.

Um... Apple is Not the next enron, sorry. Earnings can be inflated, but why make the earnings to low then? No reason.

Originally posted by KingJobs
How come Apple is calling this the 2nd Quarter of 2003 when all the other companies are calling this the 1st Quater?

The business year has absoultly nothing to do with the christian/roman calandar. Its like comparing jewish new year to 'new years' :rolleyes:

Titian

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2002
Switzerland
Originally posted by MrMacman
Um... Apple is Not the next enron, sorry. Earnings can be inflated, but why make the earnings to low then? No reason.

I am not talking about illegal ways of "adjusting" the results but about LEGAL ways!
There are so many ways to make the results be better or worse without going against the law. Company bookkeeping is very complex....

RandomDeadHead

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2003
fennario
And if the m*o*R*o*n*s at apple

Doesent anyone except me take offense to this comment?:rolleyes:

I mean really, do you think Jobs just woke up on morning and said, wow we are selling hundreds of thousands of these little guys, and we make huge profits off of them, lets stop selling them just to fu*k with people? I dont think so.

I am SHURE they have their reasons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.