Apple fixed my very out of warranty Quad

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by California, Feb 18, 2009.

1. California macrumors 68040

California

Apple fixed my very out of warranty Quad, purchased in mid 2006, no Applecare purchased at the time.

The processor blew and they replaced it all: logic board/processor/power supply.

I just need to say, it is the only machine i've ever owned by Apple that had this kind of issue and they were great to me.

It's running quietly and perfectly and I could not be happier. Thanks Apple.

2. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Nice, also, they gave you the 90 days of free AppleCare coming with each warranty repair.

3. inigel macrumors regular

inigel

Good to see a happy Mac user!

Were you aggressive or nice when dealing with Apple? Just to raise a point.

4. California thread starter macrumors 68040

California

I was persistent, not aggressive. I just knew they know there are problems with that machine and know that my two decade track record with Apple was always good.

I do have to say, it was a third party Apple tech who really saved the day on the actual repair. The "geniuses" at Apple were... not.

My third party guy is smarter and much more reliable with repairs than the guys at the store. He is like a walking Mac Rumors encyclopedia.

In fact I may want to marry him at some point.

5. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

6. ihabime macrumors 6502

Could the problem have been a coolant leak? If so, that seems to be covered under an extended warranty.

This page has a lot of reports about it.
    http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/G5_coolant_leaks.html

Edit: to much time googling and schtumple beat me to it :p

Did Apple actually acknowledge it or was it like a hidden recall on cars, a don't talk about it, just fix it when they come in for repair kind of thing?

7. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

There have never been any official acknowledgement of it being a systematic problem by Apple and no official warranty extension. As the posts at the xlr8your mac clearly indicate not all repairs because of liquid cooling system leaks were covered by Apple in the first place- it is on a case by case basis. Neither of the other two links provided in the previous post (2006 and 2007) say anything about it either- they just note the problems some have had with them.

And I guess I still have two LCS systems that I have running 24/7 have not fallen under the 100% failure rate- so need to modify that number. A LOT.

Well maybe not-- I guess a 100% failure rate could be applied to any computer. Of course some could take 50 years of running to fail, but eventually 100% will fail I suppose.;)

8. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

9. California thread starter macrumors 68040

California

I thought it was the liquid cooling thing because when I dared open the aluminum G5 thingie, I saw two dots of green stuff on the metal part of the processor piping.

But my smart repair guy said no the processor just stopped working.

Apple fixed it all anyway.

10. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

That's cool that they repaired it. I'm surprised they still have the parts readily available to fix them. Next time go for a Mac Pro replacement :D.

11. TrapOx macrumors 6502

Somebody just blew their job when Apple HQ gets wind of it.

12. California thread starter macrumors 68040

California

I don't want to be without a PPC machine. I just wish the G5 Quad could run Panther... why?

Because I use my fourth gen iPod to do interviews and only on older mac OS's can you actually make CDs from your interviews.. not kidding.

Apple treats my iPod'ed interviews in iTunes like illegal downloads or something. They did not do this when I got the iPod like three and a half years ago on Panther with it's older iTunes. (Yeah I know, the Quad only can use Tiger, but I can backtrack the iTunes on it.)

I also need a PowerPC Mac for OS9 files.

The quad is the best beast so I am very happy that Apple fixed it. With the 512mb Video Card and seven gigs of ram, it is great.

13. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Processors usually have to be "helped" to randomly stop working. Especially both chips at the same time...as in by that coolant. It happens; it's one of the big reasons we're not using G6s or whatnot now...

14. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

wow. glad you got it fixed for free. sometimes apple will treat you good like that :)