Apple force feeding us left-wing news

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by tgwaste, Oct 4, 2015.

1. tgwaste macrumors 6502a

tgwaste

Why are all the news headlines on the spotlight search page all from left-wing news sites?

Why doesn't that stream pull from the news sources I've selected in the news app?

I know the lefties probably think their sources should be forced upon me but I personally think it should tailor itself to your own selected sources.

It's definitely Tim Cooks Apple now I guess.

2. wlossw macrumors 6502a

wlossw

Maybe they only allow truthful news sources... ;)

3. digduggler macrumors 6502

It is the marketplace, which is self governing and always self correcting and fair right?

Go to another vendor then. That's what market principles dictate. I have a feeling the sales will be just fine though.

4. tgwaste thread starter macrumors 6502a

tgwaste

So just to be clear. You support the communist position that news sources should be forced on the people? Instead of my suggestion of simple letting the user decided based on his/her selections in the news app?

5. CE3 macrumors 6502a

When you open up the actual news app for the first time you it gives you some favorite options to choose from and Fox News is one of them. Have you tried selecting this and seeing if it alters your results? I doubt I'll be using spotlight search newsfeed much, but I just checked mine and got one USA Today article and 2 CNN. Are these lefty/liberal news corps to you? Really? In my view, there are very few (if any) major news corporations in America that are truly liberal and progressive.

6. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

ya CNN is very left-wing, hence why their ratings are low.

7. tgwaste thread starter macrumors 6502a

tgwaste

Of course I've changed the news sources in the app. This isn't my first smartphone. Lol

Yes. These are liberal sources. That's like saying Fox News (which shows up in like row 11 right) isn't conservative. Of course they are. Let's call a spade a spade here.

8. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

If you dislike Apple News for showing you things you don't want to see, you can always change to another new aggregator, like Flipboard. The market gives you choices, even some you won't like.

9. AFDoc macrumors 68030

LoL "communist position"? A bit dramatic don't you think?

10. Che Castro macrumors 603

11. CE3 macrumors 6502a

Right wing, yes, but I wouldn't call Fox News a conservative news source in the traditional sense, anymore than I would call most of the republicans in office true conservatives, or democrats truly liberal. The divide between the mainstream left and mainstream right in Washington is more illusion than reality. But since we're calling spades spades, Fox News is about as coo-coo for Cocoa Puffs as mainstream "news" gets.

12. Benched08 macrumors regular

I think there's an "accept partisan blabbering" switch somewhere in the Accessibility section, perhaps under the hard-for-hearing menu?

13. tgwaste thread starter macrumors 6502a

tgwaste

Apparently it's on by default else I wouldn't have a complaint.

14. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

The left is always right, didn't you get the memo? :D

15. tgwaste thread starter macrumors 6502a

tgwaste

I use feedly actually but that's not the point here. Why can't it be tailored to the individual? The way it works is clearly purposeful. Why? It's not a technology constraint. So it must be a political one.

16. CE3 macrumors 6502a

It could also be less about pushing politics and more about money. Apple has made deals with Yahoo! and other companies for search and other native app dominance. I agree with you that it would be nice to be able to tailor the feed to suit our interests.. be it news or otherwise. As far as news is concerned, I'd personally prefer more actual news driven by actual facts instead of it leaning in any political direction.

17. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Lol.

You really think Apple is purposefully not allowing you to choose which news sources you want and is purposefully choosing ones that go against your beliefs?

Lol.

Tim Cooks Apple, yet your signature says it all. :)

18. tgwaste thread starter macrumors 6502a

tgwaste

No I think its purposefully choosing ones thats relate to their agenda. I agree with CE3 though, Its quite possibly about money but somehow I doubt that a few of those companies have the kind of money Apple would demand for the spot. But its possible

That isn't my signature. It was part of the post.

19. iBighouse macrumors 6502a

iBighouse

You might just try reading some of those news stories. Serious studies have consistently shown that FOX news viewers are typically seriously misinformed about real events.

20. tgwaste thread starter macrumors 6502a

tgwaste

This isn't the point of the thread. At all...

21. tgwaste thread starter macrumors 6502a

tgwaste

22. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Dude. Son. Let me explain to you what Communism is.

When you have a single party state controlling the means and methods of production, micromanaging the economy from top to bottom in the name of The People, which then doles out resources to the population based solely upon need? Yeah, that's Communism.

But a privately owned corporation choosing to sort news sources by their own preset criteria in an app they created on a platform of their own design, meant to run on hardware they made, that you bought freely with your own money you earned working at another likely privately owned business, without any government interference at any point of the process? No. That's not Communism.

23. dec. Suspended

dec.

Hm, when I enter "Kunduz" (inspired by just another potential war crime by the US) I receive 3 news suggestions - from nytimes.com, cbc.ca, telegraph.co.uk
    Apparently the Daily Telegraph is considered "centre-right, conservative"
    NY Times seems to be handled as "liberal"
    and CBC is "Canadian" :D

Tim Cook needs to intervene here!!1!

24. digduggler macrumors 6502

Listen, you framed the thread. You could have said - "I don't love the suggestions in spotlight - is there any way to alter the recommendations?" But....

Having a smartphone (which is a luxury) with an OS, one of many, give you suggestions in a broad search that you find left wing is.....the same as communism? I don't think that word means what you think in means.

Get an android phone. Maybe they can help.