Apple Forces Us To Wait 2+ Years For A Redesign

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blairh, Jun 2, 2012.

1. blairh, Jun 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2012

blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

Does it bother anyone that Apple is most likely going to make us wait 27 or 28 months between the release of the iPhone 4 and a redesigned iPhone come September or October? I was an early iPhone 4 adopter and it really annoys me that I'd potentially have to wait until this fall to upgrade. A much better move would be to release a redesign every two years. That would have lead to a redesigned iPhone this June or July. I honestly think this window (this summer till say October) is going to tempt some consumers to get an Android device instead of waiting on Apple.

Update: I'm too busy today to reply to any more responses but I look forward to what others have to say regarding this. I will say that comparing this scenario to cars, televisions, or computers, is ridiculous. You don't buy those devices with hopes to upgrade them in 24 months. With a smartphone, you often do.

Also, to the people who insist this isn't a big deal, I respectfully disagree. I personally believe very strongly that Apple should make an effort to offer consumers a redesign iPhone every 24 months. If you don't agree, so be it. That's just how I feel.

2. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

Outside of forum users and real techies, I really doubt the masses care. I have a 4S and am really happy with it. I'll probably get the 5S, upgrading every year is a bit crazy to me. Not many people need a new phone, they just want one.

3. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Nope. If I wanted a different phone I'd buy a different phone. Some of us like consistency and familiarity.

You mean you got it a day early like everyone else by ordering it online and having it shipped? :p

4. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

The extra couple of months wait from this summer till October isn't going to kill you. And it certainly didn't hurt Apple either as they sold a bajillion iPhone 4S's when it released. Lastly what makes you think people will be tempted to leave the iOS ecosystem for Android? Why not WP7, Blackberry, or Samsung Bada? That last line was a joke btw, but honestly Apple will be fine, and so will you. :cool:

5. xlost6 macrumors 6502

X2

I have had the Verizon iPhone 4 since last May and I don't feel like upgrading at all. Granted I'm on a one year contract. So I will have an upgrade available this August. I just feel like its a "want" a yearly iPhone rather than "needing".

Apple isn't trying to attract it's existing audience. They already have you. They are concerned about the consumers they do not have yet with new versions of the iPhones.

6. cube macrumors G5

If you want fashion you can buy another brand.

The iPhone is a classic design like a Mac.

7. MXSkier62 macrumors regular

How awesome was that day? My friend (in a different city) and I went to separate apple stores and facetimed each other the day before it launched. That was fun for about 5 minutes.

8. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I don't have any problem with my iPhone's design. My laptop has had the same design since 2008 and I don't care. My house has had the same design since before I was born, yet I'm not caring.

9. FlatlinerG macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

Apple isn't really forcing you to do anything...Making quality products doesn't happen overnight. Be patient young padawan.

10. loopwhile1 macrumors newbie

The 2 year upgrade cycle is most popular (atleast in the US, folks from other places chime in). Makes sense to have to wait 2 years to get another phone.

11. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

Kill me? No. But I think my gripe is legit. I'm seriously considering the SIII because I don't know if I want to wait until this fall for a new iPhone. Also, if you listened to The Vergecast yesterday, they talked about how they are getting a vibe that people are really tired of iOS and the iPhone. Maybe iOS 6 will change that, but at the same time it just sucks in general that Apple has moved the iPhone launches to the fall and the people who bought the iPhone in June or July of 2010 (like me) either have to wait or get tired of doing so and jump ship.

Yes, Apple will be fine. That's not my point. My point is that I think it's lame that we have to wait more than 2 years for a redesign. The 3G came out in the summer of 2008 and the iPhone 4 came in the summer of 2010. I wish it was still like that.

12. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I am pretty sure tons of people associate Apple with fashion. Look at the 28746785623485623478956 cases out there. Colors, shapes, patterns.... it's endless. The iPhone is more "fashionable" than the majority of other phones on the market.

13. saberahul macrumors 68040

It doesn't bother me. Every time I see my iPhone 4, I say "wow"

It truly is a remarkable device and looks extremely sexy - I wouldn't mind using a similar looking design for the next 2 years.

14. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

'Wow'? Really? I'm so tired of my iPhone 4. Sexy? That was good for a laugh.

I think the iPhone is long overdue for a refresh with respect to hardware.

15. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Ahhhh, the good ol' days....
    :rolleyes:

16. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Despite the skewed outlook on internet forums, the number of people who actually live and breathe new phones, designs and release dates is minimal to minuscule.

While there is a lot of hype surrounding the release of a new iPhone/iPad, most consumers go on about their daily lives giving little to no thought about the design of their phone or when they will get to upgrade to a new design. All of this talk about bored with iOS, jumping to Android, must have a screen of a certain size is limited to a very small, but sometimes vocal minority.

Sometimes we see the world through our limited vision as though it is how it truly is for everyone. I don't disagree that there are some folks who are very passionate about release dates, designs, etc. but they are merely a small fraction of the user base.

17. Surely Guest

Surely

What a silly thing to complain about.

The MacBook Air has had the same design for a number of years.

The MacBook Pro has had the same design for a number of years.

The iMac has had the same design for a number of years.

The Mac Mini has had the same design for a number of years.

The Mac Pro has had the same design for a number of years.

Apple uses these designs and upgrades the internals. Waiting an additional 3-5 months past the 2 year mark for an iPhone redesign is no big deal.

If you want constant redesigns or variety, get an Android phone.
    [​IMG]

18. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

With phone contracts it doesn't matter. Every week there are new people becoming eligible for standard phone upgrades. While this doesn't help you it highlights that there is never a proper time to release a phone when people are busy fulfilling their contractual obligations.

I respect The Verge but in the end they are a blogging Tech site and that means they operate in a different world. I could ask 10 iPhone owners who the Verge or Topolsky is and maybe 1 would know.

19. cube macrumors G5

The iPhone is the most fashionable phone design. Putting a case on it defeats the purpose.

But fashion means new designs every few months.

20. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

No, it doesn't annoy me at all. In fact, the iPhone is one of the more frequent things that change in my life - every 2 years.

• I've been driving the same truck for 9 years
    • Using the same iMac's for 4 and 2 years respectively
    • Had the same TV for 4 years
    • Had the same Springfield .45 ACP for 12 years
    • and on and on...

So I don't see the big deal about a new phone design every 2 years.

21. b24pgg macrumors 65816

You're probably right. Android 4.0.4 is miles ahead of iOS 5.1.1, and it isn't even worth trying to compare the iPhone to the current line of flagship Android devices. Waiting another 3-4 months to release a competitor is just not smart on Apple's part.

22. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I don't get why so many people think that iOS needs a dramatic facelift. Neither Windows, nor OSX have seen truly dramatic facelifts in many years and won't until Windows 8, and Mountain lion. Yet no one is really complaining. In the interview at All things D with Steve Jobs, and Bill gates both of them touched on this subject and it is worth a watch if you get the chance, and have the time.

23. blairh, Jun 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2012

blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

What a ridiculous counter on your part. Computers and smartphones are apples and oranges. When you purchase a laptop or desktop, the idea and hope is that it will last you a while. (At least 3 years.) When you purchase a smartphone, you are likely going to upgrade your phone once your contract has expired.

While it might not be a 'big deal' I do think some consumers will leave their iPhone's because they didn't want to wait more than 2 years for a redesign.

----------

Oh boy. Again, apples and oranges. You don't purchase a car or television with the intent on upgrading them in a few years. With a smartphone, I believe most consumers are looking to upgrade once their contracts are up. (Often times two years.)

24. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Nope, doesn't bother me a bit. It's a good design. I'd rather have a good design for 2 years than Apple coming out with a inferior design every 8-12 months.
    So what's the problem? Most contracts are two years long, anyways.