Apple freaking rules (replaced my out of warranty iPhone)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cycom, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Cycom macrumors 6502

Cycom

As per the title, just wanted to say how impressed I am with Apple. I took my 3-month-out-of-warranty iPhone 3G to a retail store to see if they would replace it with a new one. The plastic housing near the usb dock was cracked to the point where my nail would catch onto it if I swiped it through.

Anyway, I figured it was a 1 in 10 chance that they'd replace it...worth a shot. I spoke to a guy in the Genius Bar, he said "hold on a minute" and came back a few later and said that he spoke to his manager and they'd be able to swap it for a new one. Damn! I was seriously impressed. Now I have a brand new 3G and a continued faith in Apple.

Do any of you guys have any similar experiences with them replacing out of warranty products?

2. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

3. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

My GF got her 400 day out of warranty macbook replaced :p.

4. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

Yeah happened to me, mine was 2 months out of warranty and they replaced my old 3g. The screen was seperating from the bezel which produced silver lines under the screen on the side. The guy was really nice.

5. RyanTheGeneral macrumors regular

happy to hear that.. im fairly new to :apple: products and love to hear that customer service is good. hope I wont have to deal with them though.. usually means something went wrong that should not have.

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

My coworker did too.. I don't understand how they can do that, I mean a few months I understand, but over a year, seriously nice managers.

7. alansaysstop macrumors regular

yeah seriously. my friends DVD drive has went out on his macbook pro about 3 times and they haven't switched his out yet. when they switch computers, will they transfer data/switch out HDDs? just curious in case something ever happens to my macbook.

8. milani macrumors 68000

milani

That's really awesome! Apple can certainly please their customers (at least when they want to!). On that note: I really wish there was an Apple Store within 500 miles of where I live. :(

9. aneks macrumors regular

just to share the good stories, as everyone seems to bitch and never praise, I got my iphone 3g replaced yesterday. I had some problem with the 3g reception failing a lot and after a second visit to the genius, I spoke briefly to the manager of the store in Soho (london) he was very nice and helpful and they just swapped it out for a new one. But the guy in the genius line infront of me had like a two month out of warranty iPod and the genius came back and said that they where going to replace for him. Was pretty impressed by that.

10. stezza333 macrumors regular

Yes they are indeed! My cousin just got his 2 month out of warranty 3g replaced along with new headphones and USB cable (due to cracks in the housing). Gotta love apple.

11. vivithemage macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

Makes no sense...haha

12. Oliver.m macrumors regular

Oliver.m

I've always found them very flexible with dates. I took my sisters 3G in two months out of warranty and they changed it.

Even more impressive i had a 6 month out of date 17" Powerbook G4 which needed a new screen and the genius just said "your lucky, according to this your warranty ends tomorrow" (wink wink). Never been more impressed with Apple in my life... saved me over £500.

13. hawkeye23 macrumors newbie

Apple Support is Fantastic

My 3G Wifi quit working and was 4 months out of warranty. They replaced with no problems.

I'm surprised they do this, considering they sell extended warranties for the iPhone.

14. maddad macrumors newbie

I've read plenty of posts of people bi;tchin' about :apple: before I got my iPhone and was sort of put off by all the stories. But a week ago as my GPS chip died in 6 months old iPhone I called :apple: and was more than impressed by customer service rep. I work in customer service myself and most of the time you are getting only people who think that if they demand or bi;tch they'll win, which they often do as no company wants bad feedback, but what sort of impression they make and how sad they look... So, as I said my phone call was handled w well and I got UPS pack next morning. I wasn't even expecting new iPhone, just temporary replacement until they fix mine but :apple: gave me new 3G 16G (still on 3.0.1 :D).
    BTW none of manufacturers of my last phones didn't replace them (overheating battery and screen in NEC, bad reception in Nokia, dead speaker in SE P1i). They were sent for repairs and I wasn't offered any replacement plus it took months to get them back. So I'm saying BIG thank you to :apple:

15. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

HAHAHA!!! Good one.

Im not saying that apples support is super bad, just bad. Over the phone, they are AWESOME! In the store with money in your had, AWESOME! But at the Genius bar trying to plead a case, not so awesome. No money in your hand to buy something, also not so awesome.

Dont let this one situation fool you...

16. zdblue11 macrumors member

zdblue11

wow im happy for you :D
    im have to say im impressed w/ apple, i cant think of other companies that do this

17. Applepi macrumors 6502a

Applepi

Took in my girlfriend's two year out of warranty Macbook in because the plastic case around the keyboard was cracked. The gentleman at the Genius Bar replaced the entire case for free and even threw in a fresh install of OSX as well. Apple is far too gracious sometimes.

18. barkomatic macrumors 68040

19. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

This is what helps Apple strive for success. Happy customer = returning customer + word of mouth to friends.

20. CandyCane23049 macrumors regular

Do you need to have Apple care for them to do anything? I just got my 3GS yesterday and will not be able to get the Apple care until the next couple of weeks. Nothing should happpen by then but just it does, does it matter?

21. Cycom thread starter macrumors 6502

Cycom

You have the initial one year warranty and during that one year you can buy Apple Care which will cover it for another two years. You'll be fine ;)

22. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

AppleCare on an iPhone is one additional year, not two.

23. bboucher790 macrumors 65816

bboucher790

While it is a great story and you should be excited, keep in mind that it is a manufacturing defect. Apple "should" have to replace out-of-warranty phones with this issue. They re-released a brand new phone, the 3Gs, with the same plastic housing.

I am literally waiting for my plastic to crack so I can go to the Apple store to get a new phone.

24. NJMetsHero macrumors regular

They're pretty good about that stuff. I got them to replace my broken laptop charger pretty easily. The warranty is not supposed to cover physical damage, but the Genius guy said this one time he'd make an exception and replace it free of charge. If you abuse it I imagine they'll eventually tell you know, the Genius seemed to record that he gave me a charger in the computer. So if I asked againt they'd probably say no. But they're not stingy, and I like that. Adds to their great record of customer service.

25. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray