Apple 'Garage Band'? - New Trademark

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple has filed for a new Trademark with United States Patent and Trademark Office in August 2003.

The newest Trademark is "Garage Band", categorized under "computers, computer software, and computer peripherals; computers, computer software, and computer peripherals."

Apple still has a number of unused Trademarks. Most recently, they registered for a number of animal names -- including Lynx, Cougar, Leopard and Tiger, which could potentially be future OS codename/releases. Other examples of unused names include: Junkyard, XGrid, and Gigawire.

Keynote was first mentioned in a Trademark application in October 2002, and became a shipping product at MacWorld San Francisco 2003.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I'm sure speculation will run wild on this one...

but the first thing that popped into my mind was the thought that with Apple iTunes Music Store... Apple is a 1/2 step away from becoming a record label themselves... signing bands directly and distributing their music.

arn

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
Originally posted by arn
I'm sure speculation will run wild on this one...

but the first thing that popped into my mind was the thought that with Apple iTunes Music Store... Apple is a 1/2 step away from becoming a record label themselves... signing bands directly and distributing their music.

arn
Wait... wouldn't that spark a lawsuit from Apple Recor.... oh, wait. :p

Tequila Grandma

macrumors regular
May 17, 2003
Boston MA
Hmm, this is a rather odd name acquisition for Apple. I'm still not quite sure just what they would do with it - it's most likely iTMS related, but I suppose there's a slim chance it's related to some other department.

*head fills with thoughts of G5s growing arms and legs and playing instruments in my garage*

C14ru5

macrumors member
Imagine:

"With Garage Band - included with the latest Logic Audio software, you and your friends can distribute YOUR OWN music through the iTunes music store, not just for family or friends, but for the whole world! No need need to deal with pesky lawyers or marketing hazards, Garage Band gives your music an audience which it deserves. Complete with .Mac integration, you can also have a homepage that your listeners can visit..."

...or something like that :cool:

jj2003

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2003
Finland
Originally posted by Tobsen
Potential consumer iLogic Audio?
Hopefully it will be just that. I have been trying to find easy to use and cheap program for making music on Mac. I have not found a good one for me yet.

Apple making a consumer program means user friendliness. Also the engine for the program would be good as they already own Logic Audio that is one of the best programs in the industry. Atleast that's what I have been hearing. I found no demo versio of it available :(

BaghdadBob

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2003
Gorgeous, WA
Originally posted by simX
Wait... wouldn't that spark a lawsuit from Apple Recor.... oh, wait. :p
Yeah, no kidding. Not like there is any current reason Apple records should feel like there is any mistaking them and Apple Corp.

It's so stupid. They're just looking to make some more money without doing much of anything, just like the decade in precedence.

Anyway, as far as the actual rumor in question...uh...too many possibilities...

skanker

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by jj2003
Hopefully it will be just that. I have been trying to find easy to use and cheap program for making music on Mac. I have not found a good one for me yet.
What about Apple Soundtrack? Isn't that what are you looking for?

johnnowak

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2003
New York, New York
Originally posted by C14ru5
Imagine:

"With Garage Band - included with the latest Logic Audio software, you and your friends can distribute YOUR OWN music through the iTunes music store, not just for family or friends, but for the whole world! No need need to deal with pesky lawyers or marketing hazards, Garage Band gives your music an audience which it deserves. Complete with .Mac integration, you can also have a homepage that your listeners can visit..."

That would be like bundling a broken hotwheel with a Porsche.

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Imagine:

I like your thinking.

Afterall, Apple started in a garage!

Machead III

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2002
UK, France
The most obvious thing is for it to be a service allowing small bands to publish their music on the iTunes Music Store, but yeah that would be a huge breach of their deely wit Apple Records.

cheesy

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2003
Los Angeles, CA / Seattle, WA
Apple seems to be slowly trying to breech that damn contract with Apple Records. First they changed their name from Apple Computer to Apple, then they released the iPod, then iTunes MS, then Soundtrack, now "Garage Band"?

Screw Apple Records

LoopHoles

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2003
Originally posted by cheesy
Apple seems to be slowly trying to breech that damn contract with Apple Records. First they changed their name from Apple Computer to Apple, then they released the iPod, then iTunes MS, then Soundtrack, now "Garage Band"?

Screw Apple Records
they should just get a new name. Beatle Records. there! it's almost the same.

and apple computer is still Apple Computer, Inc.

Garage Band will be the section of the iTMS that promotes indie artists.

Analog Kid

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2003
My hope would be a consumer grade digital recording studio.

Linking with iTMS would be interesting, but getting these tools into the hands of amateurs would be good enough for me.

I'm thinking along the lines of the reduced version of Final Cut...

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Self-Publishing service

Garage Band sounds like a category for self-published music. Perhaps Apple will offer this as a new service for .Mac subscribers or maybe as part of a package with Logic included.

As for the Apple Corps lawsuit, it is most likely to end in a huge settlement deal which Apple (the computer company) can more than afford. It is either that or hiring assasins to bump off the remaining Beatles and Yoko Ono.

danielbaars

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2003
Amsterdam
Garageband already exists!

Being a musician myself I was surprised by this newsitem. Garage Band already exists in the form of a cool website (http://www.garageband.com) that presents a nice way of showing your music to the world. It's been a while since I put any of my tunes on there but when I did it was nice to read the regular feedback I got from visitors to the site.

Is Apple planning a take-over?

Musically yours,

Daniel Baars

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
Re: Garageband already exists!

Imagine:

i like your thinking too. that would be the best!

Originally posted by danielbaars
Being a musician myself I was surprised by this newsitem. Garage Band already exists in the form of a cool website (http://www.garageband.com) that presents a nice way of showing your music to the world. It's been a while since I put any of my tunes on there but when I did it was nice to read the regular feedback I got from visitors to the site.

Is Apple planning a take-over?
that would be a possibility i suppose:)

ThomasJefferson

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Virginia
Since Apple is being sued by Apple, maybe "cat fancy" magazine will sue Apple - for using feline names it had in print first.

I won't worry till microsoft names a future operating system, "Microsoft Apocalypse".

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
I think it's the name of Steve's new band whose music will only be available through iTunes. :cool:

Actually I think it will be the introduction of small label artists to iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.